Does coffee help or hinder your weight loss?

Options
Hello,
I love coffee, but it really messes with my blood sugar. And even if I only drink one cup. It generally makes me more hungry. What is your experience?

Replies

• SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee as well. With one tbsp of sugar free liquid creamer. I drink it everyday, twice a day!

For me, though, it lessens any hunger. I drink one cup right after my workout every morning and I'm usually set for about 2 hours. I hear caffeine is a appetite suppressant and assumed that is why it has that effect on me. I've experimented with green tea and it had a similar effect, but alas, the warm bitter taste of coffee won my heart.
  • omgdramabye
    Options
    My experience is this is week 3 with no coffee and surprisingly after the initial week of non stop headaches + cranky pants, I am feeling pretty good!

(I have been drinking coffee for 16+ years everyday).
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee, I have not been able to out last the withdrawals to give it up yet. But now I use much less creamer and no sugar. Have you tried and decaffeinated or herbal tea ?
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It lessens my hunger. I have a high test cup in the morning and a decaf one around 3 pm. The afternoon one gives me pick up and that kills my appetite until dinner.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    It makes me REALLY hungry. Which sucks because I love it. Last week was my first week of not having it (usually have 1-3 cups each day) and I am positive it helped curb my appetite tremendously.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Coffee itself neither helps or hinders. There's nothing magic to it, it just tastes really good.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Some evidence to suggest it improves fat metabolism.

Nothing really concrete yet.

My opinion: It will help or it will do nothing.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/Michael300891 )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Does coffee help or hinder your weight loss?

Neither...it's just coffee. It may very slightly increase your metabolic rate...ever so slightly...maybe. I drank a lot of coffee and still got fat...I still drink a lot of coffee and easily lost the weight...I'm thinking coffee really wasn't a factor in either event.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Coffee itself neither helps or hinders. There's nothing magic to it, it just tastes really good.

No. Coffee IS magic. Very magic. It allows the people around me to survive and keeps me from sporting an orange jumpsuit and slip-on shoes (as a convicted murderer).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It helps me because it helps me poop. lol

Sorry to be gross/TMI. But I just have 1 cup every morning with a packet of sweetener and splash of milk or almond milk...and usually I go to the bathroom within like 15 minutes. Maybe it's partly concidence because that is just my morning routine but I really feel like it's related and have heard others say something similar.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    For me, neither
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love my morning coffee. I put a quarter cup of heavy cream in it and it keeps me full for a long time. no gain, no loss.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Is it the coffee or what you are putting in the coffee that messes with the blood sugar? I'm not an expert, BUT it probably isn't the coffee. I've read some different articles that suggest coffee would help weight loss, b/c of the caffeine.

I can't stomach coffee before I run; so I switched to green tea on the mornings that I run. That is supposed to aid weight loss.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of tea and black coffee, and I find that they are great for weight loss. Whenever I have a craving for food I shouldn't have, I just drink some tea or coffee usually that takes my mind off of it.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    It isn't the cofe it is what you are putting in the coffee. If you put sugar on broccoli it wont be that good for you anymore.
    *coffee
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    it gets me off my *kitten* and to the gym so I am going for good?

also I drink it black and no sugar because else it's a desert!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    it's a non-negotiable thing................!

I WILL have my two cups of coffee a day.

It gets me going, and makes me a not-horrible-person in the morning.

I love the taste, the smell - I don't think it hinders or helps my weight.

It's simply a necessity.
  • kinacalla
    kinacalla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just drink it black...still affects my blood sugar.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't think it helps or hurts - depending on what you put in it. However I agree with the PP who said it is magical and keeps them out of an orange jumpsuit! I too would be looking for a defense attorney who could use coffee withdrawal as a defense!
  • ggilbert95
    ggilbert95 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I love coffee, but it really messes with my blood sugar. And even if I only drink one cup. It generally makes me more hungry. What is your experience?
    For me it does the same. Though I know the science suggests that it suppresses appetite, I think it may be due to an increase in metabolism.
    I know for me personally it just offers me a calories free or nearly calorie free drink option over more calorie dense foods in my fridge. I drink it black.