Netflix, et al are ruining the way we watch TV

Options

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    It's horrible!. .Before you know it we'll be back to discussing BOOKS!. . (oh the humanity). .

Are we going to pretend that reading books and watching television are mutually exclusive?

all righty.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Heyyyyyy!!! Don't be picking on my netflix!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I watch shows with my BF when it's convient for me- instead of shaping my life around when the TV will air a show. I can watch it whenever I want- when it fits better for us.

Netflix is amazing- I don't even have TV. Just internet. It's soooooooooooo much better.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Whatever. I haven't seen a commercial in months and it is glorious.
    This!!
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is just making me want to go home and watch Netflix for the rest of the day.

This!
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Let me just tell you about Game of Thrones and spoilers. There are these BOOKS that give everything away!

True story.

LOL Got the books for Christmas and been reading.. they add so much more!

You just reminded me of the people that got mad at "this Tolken guy" for taking advantage of 9/11 by selling his book called "the two towers". Not calling you that (because obviously you read and know books) but it just reminded me of that..
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think it has improved TV watching!

I watch what I want when I want....no more mindlessly watching something because my show will be on in 30 minutes.

Way to go Netflix!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Let me just tell you about Game of Thrones and spoilers. There are these BOOKS that give everything away!

True story.

LOL Got the books for Christmas and been reading.. they add so much more!

You just reminded me of the people that got mad at "this Tolken guy" for taking advantage of 9/11 by selling his book called "the two towers". Not calling you that (because obviously you read and know books) but it just reminded me of that..

I saw a really funny comment thread (I think it was real, but I'm not sure) accusing Tolkien of ripping off Harry Potter.

And, yes, the ASOIAF books are awesome. I'm dying for Winds of Winter to come out and I haven't been waiting nearly as long as most fans. I'm kind of concerned about the turn the show has taken because it's starting to really deviate.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As soon as regular TV stop shoveling reality shows and rehashing lawyer/police/fireman dramas at me, I'll stop watching Netflix.

QFT.

I am pissed that USA is jumping on the bandwagon of reality crap... about people we don't know and don't care about.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This may make me sound old but the VCR started it.

But you still had to wait to for the show to air. You weren't ahead of everyone. You were probably behind.

Now, someone could be finished with the entire 2nd season of House of Cards while others may just be starting. They can't talk about it because it may spoil it for someone.

But you're referencing a Netflix created show. Most shows you still have to wait to air (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones).. and for them to be on Netflix, they need to be out on DVD. You can't bunch those into the same category as House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.. those are their own monsters. I do think that Netflix should air those sequentially to build a bit of suspense between episodes, but it's their product. they can release it as they like. Better reason for you to invite all your friends over for a 3 hour block of watching!

True story.

:laugh: LMAO
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I prefer netflix. I hate commercials and I can never keep up with shows as they're on tv. Also, netflix is so much cheaper than cable, as soon as my cable contract is up in july I'm canceling it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As soon as regular TV stop shoveling reality shows and rehashing lawyer/police/fireman dramas at me, I'll stop watching Netflix.

QFT.

I am pissed that USA is jumping on the bandwagon of reality crap... about people we don't know and don't care about.
    I never watch those shows. I'm doing my part!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's no different than how it's been for movies all these years - people watch in different timeframes. That said, I guess the only thing that might put a mark in the 'bad' column is now we have to deal with TV spoiler alerts. Otherwise, i love being able to watch shows on demand.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Dish = 50$ a month
    Netflix = 10$ a month

nuff-said
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Netflix is helping TV shows, in a way. I read somewhere that Breaking Bad's viewership skyrocketed when Netflix added the show, because people were binge-watching and then caught up for new seasons, which they watched live. Netflix gives an entry point for new viewers. As for its original programming, well, that's a different animal.
    This is spot on. I don't think Netflix or the DVR has ruined anything, it's just made it 100x better. You can now watch whatever you want, whenever you want, pretty much commercial free instead of whatever happens to be on when you finally get some free time. You no longer have to schedule your life around your TV schedule, you can schedule your TV watching around your life which is the way it should be.

And it really sucked when you were busy on a night when something big happened on one of your favorite shows, and you missed it. Never again. You can finally watch every episode in a season, not just the ones you happened to be around for. That is why TV is better now.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

QFT.

I never watch those shows. I'm doing my part!

Which ones? the ones on USA? Or just reality shows in general? I can't stand reality tv. It's asinine.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for Netflix I wouldn't watch TV shows.

I hate commercials. I love paying for the pleasure of not watching them. If only Cable TV had some sort of opt-out system, I'd happily pay for that.

Commercials are the devil.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Netflix is helping TV shows, in a way. I read somewhere that Breaking Bad's viewership skyrocketed when Netflix added the show, because people were binge-watching and then caught up for new seasons, which they watched live. Netflix gives an entry point for new viewers. As for its original programming, well, that's a different animal.
    This is spot on. I don't think Netflix or the DVR has ruined anything, it's just made it 100x better. You can now watch whatever you want, whenever you want, pretty much commercial free instead of whatever happens to be on when you finally get some free time. You no longer have to schedule your life around your TV schedule, you can schedule your TV watching around your life which is the way it should be.

And it really sucked when you were busy on a night when something big happened on one of your favorite shows, and you missed it. Never again. You can finally watch every episode in a season, not just the ones you happened to be around for. That is why TV is better now.

I have to agree with this as well. I did this to jump on the Downton Abbey bandwagon as well... though I also had to go to Hulu Plus as well. I watched seasons 1 and 2 before 3 came on to binge watch and catch up.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the week long wait in order to watch it again, its exciting. or it was
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In my part of Canadia, the channels I enjoyed watching are now digital and require a special box to decrypt. Since I don't have the box, I can't watch my favorite shows. Rogers took away AMC Fear Fest left me Duck Dynasty.

tumblr_mte9pgpdhG1sj3oxho1_400.gif

Edit: Spelling is hard.