Hate veggies!!!

Options

Replies

• rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Grow up. I mean sorry, but saying you hate all veggies is just ridiculous, and that's a pretty bad example to set for your kids. If it really bothers you, try to sneak them into things. I put kale in my smoothies and can hardly taste it, and I blend carrots and spinach into my tomato sauce. Chopping up tiny little pieces to add to rice or other pasta dishes also will work.

There are tons of different veggies, and the way you cook them changes their flavor dramatically. I hate raw veggies but almost any kind of veggie tastes good roasted or grilled. I never eat them plain, always dressed up in spices or healthy sauces.

Hey, you hate what you hate, and you like what you like. Just because you like them, doesn't mean the next person likes them.

Having said that, maybe you could hide them in things. For example, I put chopped mushrooms in my meatloaf and I can't even tell the difference. Good luck and keep trucking!

BTW, if I were you, I wouldn't tell people on here your personal opinions cause they will tear you a new one! LOL!
    You really have to watch how you word things. Good Luck!

She asked for our opinions. I'm not sure if you read what I wrote, because you followed it up by repeating my advice, but I wasn't unkind about it. She needs to put on her big girl pants and eat her veggies, and that is that.

ok, sorry. I just meant that everybody if different when it comes to food liking or disliking. I agree though, she needs to eat her veggies. Hear that OP? Eat your veggies. My daughter hates onions, and when I make casseroles, I chop them up real fine and she does not even know they are in there. Sneaky, isn't it?
  • mustloseit4me
    Options
    Try out different vegetables you may be surprised! For example when I eat salad I can't stand iceberg lettuce even romaine tastes bland to me but when I eat baby spinach as a green it is so yummy! Tomatoes try dicing them and throwing them in tacos don't like Roma tomatoes try on the vine tomatoes they have different flavors and tastes. Try broccoli with cheese! Try it with Ranch dressing sure it isn't super healthy but it gets you used to taste then wean yourself off of the cheese and ranch. These are some things that helped me with learning to like new things, also another thing you could do is visualize something yummy you are eating versus what you are eating.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't like them much either, but even at my advanced age(43), I am getting better. The thing about eating less is that pretty soon you start getting hungry...which I had rarely experienced....and then even some vegtables start tasting better.
  • SarahMarieYates
    SarahMarieYates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hate is a strong word but I get it...taste wise if I had the choice between a starch or a veggie for a side my taste buds would be screaming for mashed potatoes, mac n' cheese or rice something or another.

But, because I'm on this weigh loss journey not just for myself but also to set a good example for my kids and keep everyone in my household healthy I have had to become a forced vegetable lover.

The best advice I can give is to try everything once and don't say you hate anything until you try it. Find different recipes, I personally live on Pinterest and get all kinds of ideas from there. Sunday night I made garlic roasted broccoli that was the bomb!

Your taste buds can change through life too, just because you didn't like something as a kid doesn't mean you won't like it as an adult and I've noticed that since I've been eating cleaner the "junk" food doesn't taste all that great.

Oh and remember spices & seasonings are your best friend to become a forced veggie lover!

Hope this helps!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You don't have to enjoy it. You just have to do it.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I used to hate vegetables too. Not all but almost all. It was because I had not given them a fair chance. Salads were so boring and bland. What I did was start trying different recipe's or different vegi combinations. Once you start eating them more you will want them more, not to mention your body will feel better and you will see more weight loss results. It will be worth it!

Second of all we are all here for support not to bash people for their feelings. I grew up in a very Hispanic home and it was usually beans rice and a meat with tortilla I did not grow up with greens and salads so I did hate vegetables as well. I started eating more vegetables because I knew it was best for my body and for the future of my kids. You have to take accountability for yourself. But I have been there and I will not past judgment toward you. Good luck on your journey keep striving for better :)

This! I am sorry some people just came out and bashed your post. I don't believe it means you aren't "Growing Up" but that you havent experimented enough with veggies. Trying making a Cauliflower pizza crust, or use a food processor to grind it up and put it in soups, sauces, rice mixture. There are definitely creative ways to eat more veggies (I'm a Cauliflower nerd hense my suggestions).

It won't hurt to start by adding cheese, hot sauce, ranch, etc to the veggies at first and then try to ween yourself to just eat the veggies.

Thank you Mschicagocubs. I was in the mist of writing something similar.

There are physical conditions that can make eating veggies very difficult for people. Super-Tasters for example find certain foods extremely bitter to eat such as cabbage, kale, and broccoli. Please, don't assume someone needs to grow-up because they find it difficult to eat veggies. They may not be aware of such conditions or haven't been exposed enough.

Like others have suggested, there are many different ways to prepare veggies. Everyone's taste buds are different. Experiment and find what works for you. You could also try reducing your sugar intake to less than 10 grams a day for 4-5 weeks. You may begin to taste what sugars are in veggies, so they will taste less bitter for you and be more palatable. Reducing my sugar intake helped me a ton.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone posts about hating all veggies it's basically a way of asking for permission to eat junk food 24/7 instead. Yes, ice cream tastes better than carrots. We get it. You can't eat ice cream all the time though. Bottom line.

A bit of an assumption there...

OP - try to find some veggies you like - you don't have to eat every vegetable under the sun as long as you are hitting your micro nutrient needs.

You can try blending veggie smoothies as well. I don't particularly like green leafy vegetables...so I hide them in smoothies.

Blend with other foods - anything like chilli, tacos, etc... you can toss in some veggies and not really notice them.

Lastly - track your micros (MFP doesn't work great for that sadly) - You might be able to get a lot of your micros from fruits (and the veggies you find you like or are able to hide in other foods).
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can understand people not liking specific vegetables or even whole groups e.g. root veg, but surely there's something out there that works for you? I think it's also worth experimenting with how you prepare them and what you can mix them with.
    I just don't like boiled parsnips but a tiny bit of olive oil and baked in the oven makes them a treat for me. As for carrots I have never been keen, but I tried them as a 50/50 mash with swede and now it is one of my fav combinations. I also find that certain cooked veg that I don't really care for works fine when raw e.g endive.
    Disguising the veg under strong flavours is also an option. When I make a hot curry I now have broccoli instead of rice and enjoy the meal as much as I ever did.
  • rcoolastro
    Options
    1. It's sad seeing the lack of support here. Think of when you were at your heaviest and everyone was telling you to lose weight, but you weren't ready. Did people coming up to you and calling you fat or telling you how disgusting you looked help? I really doubt it, and quite frankly, the amount of disregard to how the OP, who came here asking for advice, feels is quite sad in here.

OP -- I was with you 6 months ago. I still am not a big lover of veggies. I even said I HATED THEM ALL, just like you. That said here are some things I have learned:

1. Veggies in a smoothie are an amazing way to get some of the nutrients you need without the flavors you don't like. This will take some experimentation, but some of my favorites have been spinach, kale, bok choi, celery and parsley.

2. If you grew up anything like me, you're main experience with veggies was boiled until they were a complete soggy mess. For many veggies, this actually makes them release chemicals that make them taste down right nasty (for example, brussel sprouts start tasting more and more like rotten eggs). When cooked properly, they taste nothing the same. If learning to like some veggies (or, really, finding out which veggies you like but didn't know it) is important to you, trying new recipes out will be pretty vital here. The raw earth taste of raw veggies is a great description for what I taste, as well, but a well-roasted brussel sprout with some salt, pepper and garlic is amazingly nutty and tastes pretty amazing. Remember, I, too, HATED all veggies 6 months ago. I'm also seriously addicted to roasted green beans. Roasting is an amazing way to cook veggies. Do what I did, go buy a handful of a veggie (when I first tried bok choi, it cost me all of 20 cents), cook up a small portion and see what you think. If you hate it, you've learned something, but you may just like it!

3. You can hide a lot of veggies in other dishes. Soups with veggies (check the slow cooker minestrone soup on skinnytaste.com as an example) are a wonderful way to learn the flavor of veggies when combined with other things. Another example is stuffed zucchini (I stuffed mine with taco fixings and used the zucchini instead of a tortilla and then baked the whole dish. It was cravable, which is something I never thought I would say about veggies.

4. Try some fake outs. Some veggies do amazingly at playing the same role as a more carb-heavy food and you end up not thinking about them like veggies at first. I *love* mashed potatoes. Well potatos in general. Before I was watching my diet, I would have 2-3 a night! Clearly that won't fly anymore, so I tried a cauliflower puree with garlic. Tasted like the most amazing garlicy mashed potatoes ever, had nearly no calories compared to real mashed taters. It was quite good! Another good example is spaghetti squash (or so I'm told, I've not tried it myself since they are out of season now and hard to get). You can heat them up in the micronuker, fork out the flesh and now you have veggie pasta.

5. Lastly, don't give up forever. As you start eating less and less sugar, and to some extent salt, I've found that my palate has changed quite a bit to the point that some foods I used to love aren't so great anymore (cucumbers taste down right vile to me now, but I used to love onion cucumber salad) and foods you used to hate start tasting amazing (tomatoes for me).

If you don't like something, you don't like it, but, from my own personal experience, saying you hate ALL veggies, means I hated the ones I tried the way they were cooked for me. Learning to cook them differently or trying new veggies has opened lots of doors for me.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    1. It's sad seeing the lack of support here. Think of when you were at your heaviest and everyone was telling you to lose weight, but you weren't ready. Did people coming up to you and calling you fat or telling you how disgusting you looked help? I really doubt it, and quite frankly, the amount of disregard to how the OP, who came here asking for advice, feels is quite sad in here.

OP -- I was with you 6 months ago. I still am not a big lover of veggies. I even said I HATED THEM ALL, just like you. That said here are some things I have learned:

1. Veggies in a smoothie are an amazing way to get some of the nutrients you need without the flavors you don't like. This will take some experimentation, but some of my favorites have been spinach, kale, bok choi, celery and parsley.

2. If you grew up anything like me, you're main experience with veggies was boiled until they were a complete soggy mess. For many veggies, this actually makes them release chemicals that make them taste down right nasty (for example, brussel sprouts start tasting more and more like rotten eggs). When cooked properly, they taste nothing the same. If learning to like some veggies (or, really, finding out which veggies you like but didn't know it) is important to you, trying new recipes out will be pretty vital here. The raw earth taste of raw veggies is a great description for what I taste, as well, but a well-roasted brussel sprout with some salt, pepper and garlic is amazingly nutty and tastes pretty amazing. Remember, I, too, HATED all veggies 6 months ago. I'm also seriously addicted to roasted green beans. Roasting is an amazing way to cook veggies. Do what I did, go buy a handful of a veggie (when I first tried bok choi, it cost me all of 20 cents), cook up a small portion and see what you think. If you hate it, you've learned something, but you may just like it!

3. You can hide a lot of veggies in other dishes. Soups with veggies (check the slow cooker minestrone soup on skinnytaste.com as an example) are a wonderful way to learn the flavor of veggies when combined with other things. Another example is stuffed zucchini (I stuffed mine with taco fixings and used the zucchini instead of a tortilla and then baked the whole dish. It was cravable, which is something I never thought I would say about veggies.

4. Try some fake outs. Some veggies do amazingly at playing the same role as a more carb-heavy food and you end up not thinking about them like veggies at first. I *love* mashed potatoes. Well potatos in general. Before I was watching my diet, I would have 2-3 a night! Clearly that won't fly anymore, so I tried a cauliflower puree with garlic. Tasted like the most amazing garlicy mashed potatoes ever, had nearly no calories compared to real mashed taters. It was quite good! Another good example is spaghetti squash (or so I'm told, I've not tried it myself since they are out of season now and hard to get). You can heat them up in the micronuker, fork out the flesh and now you have veggie pasta.

5. Lastly, don't give up forever. As you start eating less and less sugar, and to some extent salt, I've found that my palate has changed quite a bit to the point that some foods I used to love aren't so great anymore (cucumbers taste down right vile to me now, but I used to love onion cucumber salad) and foods you used to hate start tasting amazing (tomatoes for me).

If you don't like something, you don't like it, but, from my own personal experience, saying you hate ALL veggies, means I hated the ones I tried the way they were cooked for me. Learning to cook them differently or trying new veggies has opened lots of doors for me.

I totally agree with you! The only thing that keeps me coming to this website is the people that ARE helpful. I've learned to let peoples rude remarks go through one ear and out the other.

BTW, how do you quote a certain sentence or paragraph without quoting the whole thing? I haven't figured that out yet.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Totally agree :)

and rocknlotsofro ... you just delete the part you dont want to include :)
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    [and rocknlotsofro ... you just delete the part you dont want to include :)
    [/quote]

thanks!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    1st post? I smell a troll.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I hate many many veggies too. I just try to eat more of the few I like and hide the ones I don't in smoothies.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    1st post? I smell a troll.

I don't think so. A lot of people hate veggies, including myself. Well, not all veggies, but most.
    Anyways, I would tend to believe that most people on here do not have a love relationship with them either, or they wouldn't have a weight issue in the first place. I mean really, who becomes obese from bingeing on carrots sticks and lettuce?
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Grow up. I mean sorry, but saying you hate all veggies is just ridiculous, and that's a pretty bad example to set for your kids. If it really bothers you, try to sneak them into things. I put kale in my smoothies and can hardly taste it, and I blend carrots and spinach into my tomato sauce. Chopping up tiny little pieces to add to rice or other pasta dishes also will work.

There are tons of different veggies, and the way you cook them changes their flavor dramatically. I hate raw veggies but almost any kind of veggie tastes good roasted or grilled. I never eat them plain, always dressed up in spices or healthy sauces.

I don't think that was very nice, some people just don't like certain tastes and textures, I know I don't. I have gotten a little better over the years and I have recently bought a vitamix that I am hoping will help me with getting more veggies in my diet. I would love to love more things but the textures get me everytime, the slimy, gross, airy textures are not my thing and I know a lot of people with this same problem. I hope you know that not everyone is the same and I am sure if she could eat them she would. There is no need for that kind of rudeness on the boards. That is all :)
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    A lot of good tips here. Also, adding something like salsa or marinara sauce over them is a low fat, flavorful way of dressing them up.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I don't think that was very nice, some people just don't like certain tastes and textures, I know I don't. I have gotten a little better over the years and I have recently bought a vitamix that I am hoping will help me with getting more veggies in my diet. I would love to love more things but the textures get me everytime, the slimy, gross, airy textures are not my thing and I know a lot of people with this same problem. I hope you know that not everyone is the same and I am sure if she could eat them she would. There is no need for that kind of rudeness on the boards. That is all :)

I don't think it was mean-spirited. She's an adult, and even if she doesn't LIKE her veggies she needs to eat them. I was being blunt, not rude, and I gave as much helpful information as I could as to how to sneak veggies into her diet in the least noticeable way. I have a sister with a sensory processing disorder who is very aware of certain textures in vegetables, but she works through it for her health. If she can do it, so can the OP.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat vegetables. Maybe occasionally baby carrots for a snack, or if I went out to eat I might order steamed veggies as a side, but that was about it. Now I try to eat 3-4 servings a day, mixing up raw and cooked. I agree with the posters that say the way you prepare can make a big difference.

My brother in law has the palate of a 5 year old. He absolutely refuses to eat any vegetables and I'm pretty sure he's never in his life eaten a salad. He went on a health kick a few weeks ago (he's a naturally trim guy but his eating habits are terrible) and bought a juicer. He puts in mostly veggies (celery, spinach, carrots) and adds a few fruits, and it actually comes out really sweet. I thought it would be gross, but it tasted really good. It's a lot of work cleaning up the machine, and a little expensive, but it's a really good way to get veggies in when you don't want to eat them.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You could also try reducing your sugar intake to less than 10 grams a day for 4-5 weeks. You may begin to taste what sugars are in veggies, so they will taste less bitter for you and be more palatable. Reducing my sugar intake helped me a ton.

This is great advice. If you are used to sweet food, veggies can taste bitter even if you're not a super-taster. If you are, roasting can work wonders. I used to hate Brussels sprouts because they were so bitter. Now I wash them, cut them in half, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them until they're browned and crispy outside. The bitter taste is gone. Just don't go too far overboard on the olive oil.