Do I have to eat over 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well OP you don't have to do anything. You don't have to eat to goal, you don't have to watch your nutrition, and you don't have to weigh and measure your food. Hell you don't have to eat! You could knock back meal replacement energy drinks all day every day!

I'm not saying you should. Just that you could.

You know.. when you talk like that with an attitude, it's really difficult to take anything you say to heart.

I'm not sure how simple truths could or could not be taken to heart, but okay.

You don't have to do anything. You choose to. Period.

Ok. Will you please go away now?

Right under a user's avatar, there's a little arrow. Click it and choose "ignore user." I think you'll need this feature.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Dianne the Geek, awesome post.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options

[/quote]

Right under a user's avatar, there's a little arrow. Click it and choose "ignore user." I think you'll need this feature.
    [/quote]

Thank you so much for the info!
  • susie3g
    Options
    OP, let me add my two cents to this thread. Maybe it helps you, maybe it doesn't.

There was a point in my diet after I'd had some success where I really started pushing myself. I was working out once or twice a day and eating as little as I could (1200-1400 calories, netting around 800). I told anyone and everyone who asked that I was fine. That I was happy and never felt hungry.

I was lying, mostly to myself, and I didn't realize it until I started to eat a little more. I reached a two month plateau and that's when I found MFP and started adding my exercise calories into my diet. The clarity that it brought me was dramatic. I stopped being a moody jerk to everyone around me. I was able to push longer and harder in my workouts. I stopped thinking about food constantly and was able to focus on things that mattered in my life. I was happier and healthier with the extra calories.

I reached a second point in my diet where, again, I was trying to push my body to drop the weight faster than it could. It was a time of birthdays and weddings and I'd been to parties and showers and events every single weekend and wasn't losing. I reached a point where I would break down into tears in my friends' driveways because I knew there was going to be delicious, delicious food inside. And my therapist had to point out that this isn't normal or particularly healthy and I had to back off my diet goals for a while.

The point is that I've been there a little bit. I remember how it felt when I was letting food control my life. And I think it's worth stepping back and taking stock of your priorities because you deserve not to be miserable during this. Baby steps are great and you need to take the steps you can take in your own time, but listen to what some of the people are saying, whether you like their tone or not. Most of them know what they're talking about.

As for food scales, I lost the bulk of my weight without a food scale, so I know it can be done. I was measuring everything and I'm actually fairly good at eyeballing certain portions. I was really hesitant to switch to a food scale because I thought it would take a lot of extra time or would consume my life. It didn't. Actually, I find it faster and easier than having to find, use, and wash a lot of different measuring cups.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well OP you don't have to do anything. You don't have to eat to goal, you don't have to watch your nutrition, and you don't have to weigh and measure your food. Hell you don't have to eat! You could knock back meal replacement energy drinks all day every day!

I'm not saying you should. Just that you could.

You know.. when you talk like that with an attitude, it's really difficult to take anything you say to heart.

I'm not sure how simple truths could or could not be taken to heart, but okay.

You don't have to do anything. You choose to. Period.

You know it's been a while since someone has put me on ignore. Like...a whole two weeks. And here I thought I was losing my special touch.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I would also like to add.. that measuring your food isn't so much for obsessions sake as it is to get an idea of what a portion is supposed to look like... If you don't have time use a scale or a measuring cup, then at least start out using your hand and your fingers.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree that weighing can be important for understanding how much you are eating, but if you aren't willing to weigh yet, then by all means, don't just give up.

Some of your foods seem to be preportioned already (like going to subway), so a scale wouldn't matter with those. If you are going to be short on calories for the day, you can do a few things to bump up the calories. For example, at subway you can get cheese on your sandwich or skip the lite mayo for normal.

You also seem to be a little low in protein in general. Here's a good list of protein sources if you want to try incorporating some into your diet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

However, I do recommend trying to log as accurately as possible. I agree that I find weighing easier than cups, and measuring cups have an inherent error for solids. Also, there are some entries in your diary that are called "homemade", but there are no macro listings. Often entries like that can be inaccurate. I like to use the recipe builder when I make something. It is a little more time up front, but then I can just quick add that recipe any time I have it in the future.

Excellent points. My main problem with the recipe builder is that I may use slightly different ingredients the next time I use the recipe. When I create a food, I add all the ingredients calories and then divide by portions. Is this not correct?

The recipe builder is a fabulous tool. When you make it the next time and use different amounts, you can change that particular item. You don't need to re-enter the entire thing.

You have gotten some good advice here, and some of the additional noise that comes along with being on a public board. Take your baby steps, then review this thread and add in the next step. Take each day at a time and recognize that you are human. Thinking of your choices in terms of good and bad can lead to disappointment. Consider better choices and learning opportunities. I know it sounds silly, but wording can be very important.

There is so much information out there and what works for some will not work for all. 1200 calories is very low. I am 5'2", 41 years old and now at 196lbs. I eat 1700/day and have only had problems when I allow my mindset to derail me. You can do this, but remember to breathe and keep moving forward. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If your supplement drink has the same caffeine as a cup of coffee, why not ditch the drink and have another cup of coffee the way you like it? It'll be another moment of enjoyment for you AND bump up your calories, if you take it with cream as in your diary. I also advocate taking a multivitamin for general health and to assist with your overall nutrient needs.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Short answer = yes.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Diane -- Thank you for your story and tips!
  • susie3g
    Options
    I would also like to add.. that measuring your food isn't so much for obsessions sake as it is to get an idea of what a portion is supposed to look like... If you don't have time use a scale or a measuring cup, then at least start out using your hand and your fingers.

Yes, I do that much, at least. I've taken a nutritional class , although it's been awhile. But I am familiar with what portions are supposed to be using that method. I may get a scale later. . Just can't see myself doing that right now.
  • susie3g
    Options
    I agree that weighing can be important for understanding how much you are eating, but if you aren't willing to weigh yet, then by all means, don't just give up.

Some of your foods seem to be preportioned already (like going to subway), so a scale wouldn't matter with those. If you are going to be short on calories for the day, you can do a few things to bump up the calories. For example, at subway you can get cheese on your sandwich or skip the lite mayo for normal.

You also seem to be a little low in protein in general. Here's a good list of protein sources if you want to try incorporating some into your diet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

However, I do recommend trying to log as accurately as possible. I agree that I find weighing easier than cups, and measuring cups have an inherent error for solids. Also, there are some entries in your diary that are called "homemade", but there are no macro listings. Often entries like that can be inaccurate. I like to use the recipe builder when I make something. It is a little more time up front, but then I can just quick add that recipe any time I have it in the future.

Excellent points. My main problem with the recipe builder is that I may use slightly different ingredients the next time I use the recipe. When I create a food, I add all the ingredients calories and then divide by portions. Is this not correct?

The recipe builder is a fabulous tool. When you make it the next time and use different amounts, you can change that particular item. You don't need to re-enter the entire thing.

You have gotten some good advice here, and some of the additional noise that comes along with being on a public board. Take your baby steps, then review this thread and add in the next step. Take each day at a time and recognize that you are human. Thinking of your choices in terms of good and bad can lead to disappointment. Consider better choices and learning opportunities. I know it sounds silly, but wording can be very important.

There is so much information out there and what works for some will not work for all. 1200 calories is very low. I am 5'2", 41 years old and now at 196lbs. I eat 1700/day and have only had problems when I allow my mindset to derail me. You can do this, but remember to breathe and keep moving forward. :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I thought I would have to re-enter everything. I will look into that. And thank you for the words of encouragement.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I never eat more than 1200 a day and it works for me
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Yes, I do that much, at least. I've taken a nutritional class , although it's been awhile. But I am familiar with what portions are supposed to be using that method. I may get a scale later. . Just can't see myself doing that right now.

It really isn't as long and drawn out as it seems... I got a $17 one at target, throw some wax paper on to it, and set whatever food I need... it's one 1-sec extra step from taking the food out of the packaging to putting it in my lunch box.
  • susie3g
    Options
    If your supplement drink has the same caffeine as a cup of coffee, why not ditch the drink and have another cup of coffee the way you like it? It'll be another moment of enjoyment for you AND bump up your calories, if you take it with cream as in your diary. I also advocate taking a multivitamin for general health and to assist with your overall nutrient needs.
    Its different from coffee, in that, it has a lot of good stuff for me in it. Its not just caffeine. The daily values are:
    Vitamin C 300%
    Vitamin E 100%
    Vitamin b6 750%
    Vitamin b12 750%
    Thiamine 200%
    Riboflavin 200%
    Niacin 300%
    Pantothenic acid 500%

In addition to choline, L-tyrosine, and other stuff that I thought was supposed to be good for me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Its different from coffee, in that, it has a lot of good stuff for me in it. Its not just caffeine. The daily values are:
    Vitamin C 300%
    Vitamin E 100%
    Vitamin b6 750%
    Vitamin b12 750%
    Thiamine 200%
    Riboflavin 200%
    Niacin 300%
    Pantothenic acid 500%

In addition to choline, L-tyrosine, and other stuff that I thought was supposed to be good for me.

There's evidence that those types of supplements can inhibit the benefits of exercise. I recommend people generally don't take vitamins, especially vitamins many times the RDA. Just because something is "supposed to be good for you" doesn't mean it is.

Keep it simple. Food, exercise.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C 300%
    Vitamin E 100%
    Vitamin b6 750%
    Vitamin b12 750%
    Thiamine 200%
    Riboflavin 200%
    Niacin 300%
    Pantothenic acid 500%

There's evidence that those types of supplements can inhibit the benefits of exercise. I recommend people generally don't take vitamins, especially vitamins many times the RDA. Just because something is "supposed to be good for you" doesn't mean it is.

You make it sound SO easy, Jonny.... :angry:
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    What the hell was the point of this if you refuse to make any changes and don't want to lose weight in a healthy way?
    This isn't the place for you if you aren't going to accept people's advice when you ask for it.
  • susie3g
    Options
    Vitamin C 300%
    Vitamin E 100%
    Vitamin b6 750%
    Vitamin b12 750%
    Thiamine 200%
    Riboflavin 200%
    Niacin 300%
    Pantothenic acid 500%

Since I don't eat enough to exercise in most people's opinion, I guess it won't inhibit the benefits of my exercise too much. It helps with mental focus, and that is the main reason I take it. I'm off various other medications I used to be on and the Spark tends to help somewhat for now. I've seen the results personally from a few of my friends who drink it daily, and they are feeling fantastic and looking fantastic. So I thought I'd give it a try. You're right.. everything is not good for me that is "supposed to be". You have an excellent point indeed.
  • susie3g
    Options
    What the hell was the point of this if you refuse to make any changes and don't want to lose weight in a healthy way?
    This isn't the place for you if you aren't going to accept people's advice when you ask for it.

Well, I think the issue is that people aren't actually reading my original question and trying to offer advice that wasn't asked for. The original question, I thought, would be easily answered with a simple yes or no. Do I have to eat 1200 calories a day if I'm full? Yes or no. Simple you'd think. I wasn't asking about scales, other nutrients, or anything else. People have taken it upon themselves to instruct me in everything from A-Z.