Do I have to eat over 1200 calories a day?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    500% + of what your body needs becomes expensive urine.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    What the hell was the point of this if you refuse to make any changes and don't want to lose weight in a healthy way?
    This isn't the place for you if you aren't going to accept people's advice when you ask for it.

Well, I think the issue is that people aren't actually reading my original question and trying to offer advice that wasn't asked for. The original question, I thought, would be easily answered with a simple yes or no. Do I have to eat 1200 calories a day if I'm full? Yes or no. Simple you'd think. I wasn't asking about scales, other nutrients, or anything else. People have taken it upon themselves to instruct me in everything from A-Z.

I believe they were actually just trying to be helpful -- And it seems as if you've found a reason to say that you either won't, don't want to, or can't follow most of it. If you don't want advice (that you asked for or didn't) don't post on the forums.... Personally, if I were in your position, I would be grateful that I was given such great, free information.:wink:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    What the hell was the point of this if you refuse to make any changes and don't want to lose weight in a healthy way?
    This isn't the place for you if you aren't going to accept people's advice when you ask for it.

Well, I think the issue is that people aren't actually reading my original question and trying to offer advice that wasn't asked for. The original question, I thought, would be easily answered with a simple yes or no. Do I have to eat 1200 calories a day if I'm full? Yes or no. Simple you'd think. I wasn't asking about scales, other nutrients, or anything else. People have taken it upon themselves to instruct me in everything from A-Z.

I believe they were actually just trying to be helpful -- And it seems as if you've found a reason to say that you either won't, don't want to, or can't follow most of it. If you don't want advice (that you asked for or didn't) don't post on the forums.... Personally, if I were in your position, I would be grateful that I was given such great, free information.:wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    OP, just based on some of the answers you've given, have you considered seeing a therapist or counselor if you aren't already?
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267

I am grateful. It's just a lot to take in all at once. I'm not refusing to make changes. I AM making changes, regardless of whether others see that or not. If you had seen what I was eating before I was logging, you would understand that I have made huge changes. But I'm having to make them one at a time, not everything at once. I haven't had a soda in 20 days. This is nothing to other people, but for me, it's headline material. I'm making changes... just small ones at first. Ok?
  • susie3g
    OP, just based on some of the answers you've given, have you considered seeing a therapist or counselor if you aren't already?

Honestly, I can't afford it. Probably should, but I don't have the funds to do so.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Honestly, I can't afford it. Probably should, but I don't have the funds to do so.

There are often psychiatrists that do free/low price group sessions or will work on a curve based on income. Maybe contact the number here and see if they can recommend a few for you.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Ok then, simple answer, yes, you need to eat 1200 calories a day, because you sound hangry. Eat a Snickers to help you get to your goal.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    If you see this topic elsewhere, I apologize in advance. I was told the best thing for me to do was make my own thread since my conditions might be different from the other person posting. So hopefully someone can help me.

I'm 39 year old female, 5'2", 188 pounds. I usually don't get hungry till almost noon, but I try to eat before then if I can remember. I'm always afraid I won't have enough calories for my evening meal with the family, so I add those calories in MFP first, then I decide what I'm having for lunch. I usually leave myself some leeway just in case I want a snack after supper. But then.. a lot of times, we end up eating a late supper and so I'm not hungry enough for a snack before bed. Do I absolutely have to eat 1200 calories a day? I have done the research and I understand how it is supposed to work. It just seems counterproductive to stuff yourself when you're full already. I've been losing weight, but it went from 7 pounds my first week, 4 pounds the second week, and 0.1 pounds the 3rd week. MFP tells me my calories should be between 1200-1420 a day. I try to stay closer to the lower number, but it's difficult to stay within the range sometimes.

I eat 1200 calories and since I eat whole foods I always have more than enough as far as quantity is concerned. I do however have to make a real effort ( which I don't mind ) to plan the kind of day where I get all my nutrients in. It does not leave a lot of space for any kind of treat ( which I don't mind either, because I am from a culture where people don't snack a lot ) or any kind of non-nutritive calories like in processed food.
    I am a bit confused by your post. On one hand you say you worry that 1200 calories are not enough, on the hand you say you don't feel like eating when you are " full already ". Somehow I think it is one or the other, but not both.
    Unless you are like me old, less than 5 feet tall and only exercise moderately ( I walk 45 minutes a day ) there is no reason to eat 1200 calories if that means that you suffer ( unless you like suffering ....:o)...).
    Depending on your height, age and weight and also activity there is a very good chance that you will also lose ( maybe a tiny bit slower, but lose you will ) on 1400 calories. There are also people who eat more than 1400 calories and lose. I think you need to figure out what works for you, stay patient, weigh and measure all your food and log ( so you have a base to work from if/when you have to tweak your approach ) and things will work out.
    Good Luck !
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

I don't know about your life; but in mine I come across a lot of questions that cannot be answered easily with a " yes " or " no ", because in my life things most of the time are not black or white with nothing in between.
    My answer would be " do what you want to do , because it seems you are not satisfied with what people ( spending their time and effort to help you ) tell you "......
    and please don't generalize, because it's obvious that quite a few of us did indeed read the whole thread......
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

I don't think it is as simple as a yes or no answer...at least not without people explaining their viewpoint.

When I first started I was at 1200 calories...most of the time I didn't eat them all. Did I lose weight...yes. Did I weigh my food...no. I doubt if my counts were very accurate. Sad part was...I was over-estimating calories for most things.

It wasn't sustainable for me...I wouldn't have lasted...then I would have given up just as I have in the past and put all of the weight back on.

I can't recommend eating less than 1200 or even 1200 because it didn't work for me. I have spent the last 3 months looking for the level of calories that I can stick to...feel good...and not be hungry. The only way that you will know if you can do this...is to find out for yourself. If you ask for people's opinions however most of us will tell you that it is unhealthy.

As far as macros go...I am working on mine but for right now there are other things that have taken priority...such as sodium...potassium...iron. When I get those under control...I will work on protein...carbs...fat. I do okay with those but would like to cut my carbs just a little...I looooooove carbs.

My opinion only...when you are eating at or below 1200...your fitness suffers...at least mine did. For me...fitness is an EQUAL part of the equation.
  • susie3g
    I apologize. It was not my intent to generalize. I'm sorry I even wrote this thread because now I've been on here all dang day and ruined yet another day by stressing over this because I forgot to eat lunch. I'm not making excuses.. just venting. I'm sorry to those of you who feel you have wasted your time on me. I will be keeping all this tucked away to learn from another day when my mind can contain it.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    No I suppose you don't have to but I highly recommend it. It will be easier for you to reach your nutrient goals, and you will feel better with the appropriate amount of energy. 1200 calories is actually the bare minimum recommended by doctors and that is why you get the little warning if you are under 1200 when you close out your diary.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ is a nice link I like to refer people to. I plugged in your stats and you could be eating anywhere between 1500-1700 and still easily losing weight. No need to eat so low. I would recommend eating at least 1500 because that is your BMR. It also happens to be a 20% cut from your TDEE (maintenance) .

If you don't want to get into things like BMR and TDEE, then go back into your MFP goal and change your weight loss goal to 1 lb/week or even .5/lb week. I see you are trying to lose 70 more pounds though so I recommend the 1 pound per week which would give you around 1500 cals to eat. You mentioned worrying about not having enough cals to spread throughout the day, especially in the evening? Well this way with more cals to play with you don't have to worry so much :smile:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    OP: Take one step at a time! This is how i started.
    Just set a calorie goal- good one, not very low. At my highest i was 173 pounds at 5'5. I checked what MFP said to lose 1.5 lbs per week and then ate back all my exercise calories(use HRM to get those). Did not pay attention to macros or nutrients etc. As i started to lose weight slowly, i started doing some more research.
    Next step, i realised i need to up my protein, so i am trying to do that. I am a vegetarian, so it gets a bit harder, but not impossible. I stil struggle with this, but much better than before.
    Next step when i got stuck at plateau- Weigh food. I got a food scale and measured everything (unless it comes from package with already weighed contents and calories). Got an understanding.
    Next- Start strength training- I am still doing bits and pieces here and need to get better with a routine.

Now, i do not use an HRM, because i do similar activities and i know how much i burn with them. I use that number.
    I do not weigh everything, because i know the portions for most of them. But i still put in the recipes myself by weighing everything, also weigh new stuff etc.

I will continue doing this until i get stuck at another plateau:)
    So take it one step at a time and you will be fine. If you really want it bad, you will do it! Motivation should come from within. You have got some brilliant advice earlier , follow it in whatever capacity you can and improve with time!
  • susie3g
    OP: Take one step at a time! This is how i started.
    Just set a calorie goal- good one, not very low. At my highest i was 173 pounds at 5'5. I checked what MFP said to lose 1.5 lbs per week and then ate back all my exercise calories(use HRM to get those). Did not pay attention to macros or nutrients etc. As i started to lose weight slowly, i started doing some more research.
    Next step, i realised i need to up my protein, so i am trying to do that. I am a vegetarian, so it gets a bit harder, but not impossible. I stil struggle with this, but much better than before.
    Next step when i got stuck at plateau- Weigh food. I got a food scale and measured everything (unless it comes from package with already weighed contents and calories). Got an understanding.
    Next- Start strength training- I am still doing bits and pieces here and need to get better with a routine.

Now, i do not use an HRM, because i do similar activities and i know how much i burn with them. I use that number.
    I do not weigh everything, because i know the portions for most of them. But i still put in the recipes myself by weighing everything, also weigh new stuff etc.

I will continue doing this until i get stuck at another plateau:)
    So take it one step at a time and you will be fine. If you really want it bad, you will do it! Motivation should come from within. You have got some brilliant advice earlier , follow it in whatever capacity you can and improve with time!

Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what I had planned to do. For right now, I'm almost in tears if I can't find the correct calorie count for something that I can't imagine adding other stressors to the equation. I will eventually I'm sure.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    If you see this topic elsewhere, I apologize in advance. I was told the best thing for me to do was make my own thread since my conditions might be different from the other person posting. So hopefully someone can help me. I'm 39 year old female, 5'2", 188 pounds. I usually don't get hungry till almost noon, but I try to eat before then if I can remember. I'm always afraid I won't have enough calories for my evening meal with the family, so I add those calories in MFP first, then I decide what I'm having for lunch. I usually leave myself some leeway just in case I want a snack after supper. But then.. a lot of times, we end up eating a late supper and so I'm not hungry enough for a snack before bed. Do I absolutely have to eat 1200 calories a day? I have done the research and I understand how it is supposed to work. It just seems counterproductive to stuff yourself when you're full already. I've been losing weight, but it went from 7 pounds my first week, 4 pounds the second week, and 0.1 pounds the 3rd week. MFP tells me my calories should be between 1200-1420 a day. I try to stay closer to the lower number, but it's difficult to stay within the range sometimes.

Based on information provided your BMR is about 1582 (http://iifym.com/bmr-calculator) so my personal advice is to eat around that number if you aren't doing any exercise. That will see you lose weight slowly and sustainably, with a deficit arising on any day you aren't comatose in bed. And I assume that is most days LOL!

If you find it difficult to eat during the morning then I suggest setting reminders/alarms on your phone. You could even try splitting the day in half and eating 700 calories in the first half of the day and then the remainder in the second half. Or some other split that you feel comfortable with. And if you aren't using a food scale then you should probably assume a margin of error that overestimates about 100-300 calories per day (that's what I found mine to be when I started weighing everything).

Of course, the most accurate method involves taking one approach and monitoring results. If you aren't getting what you want then revise intake up or down as necessary. Good luck :-)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member

If we're talking every once in awhile, no you don't. If we're talking more than a few times a month, then yeah, you do. 1200 is already lower than what you should be eating anyway. But here's the thing....if you start eating up to 1200 or even better, up to 1400 or whatever you should be eating, you have no way of knowing if that's what you're actually eating. You could end today logging 900 calories and you have no idea if you actually ate 900 calories. It could be 600 calories or it could be 1800 calories.

You didn't ask for the advice about weighing food but it's really, really good advice. And you might just find that it helps you. I promise it will help you with your weight loss goals, but it might help you mentally as well. It did for me, anyway. Wanna know why? Because once I knew that I was actually logging what I was actually eating, I didn't have to stress every time the scale stayed still or only moved half a pound. I knew that I wasn't playing guessing games and that weight loss isn't linear. I knew that I was doing everything right and that even though the scale didn't reflect it this week, it would the next, or the next after that. And it has.

^I think that right there would be huge for you. You're SO worried about every little calorie and you don't need to be. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to explain what I'm trying to say. :sigh: Basically, if I'm just guessing with my logging, which is basically what you're doing, and then I gain weight or I don't lose, I'm going to freak out. I might even be so stressed and frustrated that I decide to just stay fat b/c this just isn't working for me, like everything else I've ever done. But if I'm accurately logging my food, I'm going to see results. Maybe not every week, but I won't be as stressed b/c I know I'm doing everything right and maybe I'm just retaining water this week, or it's normal to go a week or two without much of a loss. It's even normal to go up occasionally depending on what's happening.

And the other great thing about tracking accurately is that I feel far less guilty when I go over. I dunno, maybe that's a bad thing.:laugh: But really, when I go over occasionally, I can see that it didn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme. I'm not talking about every weekend or anything, but special occasions, etc. And when I go over more than occasionally, I can see that it DID make a huge difference in the grand scheme, and I know what I need to do to change things. When you have no idea how many calories you're actually eating, you can't see these things and learn from them. So while I get how you feel, or at least I think I do, I also think it might be cathartic for you to look at things from a different perspective and try something different.

And I absolutely understand what you're saying about not being able to handle the nutritional content on top of measuring and logging and the thought of weighing. I get it b/c I felt the same way about macros (protein, fat and carbs) when I started here. I still feel that way about micros (vitamins, etc); it stresses me out just thinking about trying to hit my calorie target AND macros AND micros. Plus I have no idea how anyone could possibly hit their iron goal on the daily. Anyway, start small. Just start looking at your totals and seeing where your protein is coming from and where your carbs are coming from. Once you feel comfortable start making changes. But it will be easier to make those changes if you start paying attention to those things now.

Take baby steps and don't give up. Eating at a deficit has overwhelmed me several times and several times, I've kept logging and just started eating more. Haven't put back on the weight I've lost; I've just stopped losing. Then I pick back up when I'm ready and start losing again. I don't consider these instances failures. They're huge successes. Being able to maintain my weight while I take a break and then start losing again. Baby steps!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what I had planned to do. For right now, I'm almost in tears if I can't find the correct calorie count for something that I can't imagine adding other stressors to the equation. I will eventually I'm sure.

OP, I obviously don't know what else might be going on in your life, but I want to point out that this kind of emotional reaction can be a sign that you're not eating enough. It absolutely can cause moodiness, depression, excess stress, etc. Hunger is not the only sign that you're getting enough to eat. You have to look at all the cues. Mood, concentration, energy levels, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

rofl. I answered it.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    No you do not have to eat over 1200 calories a day.