Potassium? Seriously?

Replies

• FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Potatoes

NO stay away from them. there high in carbs and calories and a starch veggie. 1 cucumber can have as much as 450mg of potassium. and only 45 calories.

But they're yummy! They do have a load of calories. But I work potatoes into my diet. I likes them.

o trust me i miss my mashed potatooes but once i learned that 1 cup of them is like 600 calories i knew they had to go lol

yeah. Because that's the only way you can eat potatoes, right?

nope but a raw potato is around 40-50 carbs. and 200 calories . not very filling and worth the calories or carbs to me. but anyone can eat anything they want
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Potatoes

NO stay away from them. there high in carbs and calories and a starch veggie. 1 cucumber can have as much as 450mg of potassium. and only 45 calories.

But they're yummy! They do have a load of calories. But I work potatoes into my diet. I likes them.

o trust me i miss my mashed potatooes but once i learned that 1 cup of them is like 600 calories i knew they had to go lol

15br86.png

Sooo... one serving here is 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes.

pics to small and blurry i cant read it sorry
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Coffee, regular and decaf
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    I think someone mentioned this earlier but I noticed that a lot of the food I eat (I live on a college campus so I eat at the dining hall) does not show the potassium content. Almost none of the food from the dining hall has potassium labeled. It is likely you are getting more than you think.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    A couple people have stated that unless you have a deficiency, not to worry about it.

I would normally agree, however there is something else to consider.

Some medications can use up the potassium that you take in, thus creating a need to increase your potassium intake. I discovered this while taking a blood pressure medication.

Check with your pharmacist if you take any medications to find out if any of your meds complicate nutrient intake.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Dont rely on the database to measure your potassium intake accurately.

^^^ this

because most entries in the database only have the values for carbs, fat, protein and calories listed and not any micronutrients, so you're very likely getting much more than what's listed on MFP. If you want to track micronutrients, it's better to use the "my foods" thing and input what you eat yourself through that, with the micronutrient values entered when you make the "my foods" entries.

If you're eating lots of fresh fruit and veg it's likely you're getting enough.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Low sodium V8 vegetable juice has a crapload of potassium. Coconut water is pretty high in potassium as well. Both are also low calorie options.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    A good basic reference for potassium in foods can be found on this site:

Nutritiondata.com. I track a day on there from time to time to make sure I'm getting all proper nutrients that MFP doesn't even track.

Basically most whole foods have a good amount of potassium. The best per calorie sources are low calorie vegetables. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, meats and dairy are all good sources. Nuts and grains tend to not be good per calorie sources (in general):
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Sprouts! 533mg for 8
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    My Dr. has me taking Potassium pills when she ran my blood work she said it was low the pills helped me I know you want it natural through your food but if that doesn't work consider the pills. Keeps me from feeling drained.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Potatoes

Uh…. a medium Idaho potato has 110 calories and 26 g carbs. Not high calorie or high carb.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Potatoes

yeah. Because that's the only way you can eat potatoes, right?

nope but a raw potato is around 40-50 carbs. and 200 calories . not very filling and worth the calories or carbs to me. but anyone can eat anything they want

Actually, a medium Idaho potato has 110 calories and 26 g of carbs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    What are you putting in your mashed potatoes that makes them 600 calories? I use instant, 2% milk, and margarine and 1 serving (1/2 cup) is 200 calories.

Pommes Robuchon would be right around 600 calories.

It's 1 pound of potato, and 1 pound of butter, whipped together.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    I never hit it either but artichokes have a lot
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Look there is a salt substitute that is called Nu-Salt it contains 0.530 grams or 530 milligrams of potassium per 1/6 tsp. (1 g) serving.

This is inexpensive and at many grocery stores. It is marketed for people on a salt restricted diet.

http://www.nusalt.com/
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    I'm so glad to see that you mentioned Coconut Water. This is a great beverage to drink after a hard workout.
  • Tevajane
    Tevajane Posts: 24 Member
    You could try eating some small new potatoes or fingerlings. Use Coconut oil instead of butter. I just like to steam them and drizzle on some olive oil and garlic slices.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member

Don't worry about it unless you've had bloodwork that indicates a potassium deficiency.

So many experts.

Potassium is helpful for battling high blood pressure as well.

Ehm paid expert here (well no professor but its certainly a big part of my job)

Unless you are on certain anti-hypertensives or have a renal condition most people dont need to worry about dietary potassium. As other posters have said lots of food contains it and health kidneys are very good at taking what the body needs and excreting the rest. If you are on a VLCD or you have severe gastro disturbance you are at risk of lowering potassium to dangerous levels - so good reason to eat a sensible amount of calories or see a doctor if you spend a lot of time vomiting and pebble dashing the toilet bowl.

Be vary vary wary of taking unprescribed potassium supplements- accidental overdose is too easy. Too much potassium (and too little) causes cardiac arrest.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Braggs unpasteurized apple Cider vinegar is super high in it and its great on vegs :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Many of the foods on here don't have potassium listed

Exactly. It's really hard to track.