Do you wash your hair after every workout?

Options
13»

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair about every other day........

I pay a lot of $ for highlights/lowlights - washing it everyday just washes my color down the drain!

I also use non-sulfate shampoos - they take a little getting used to (they don't lather much like your 'typical' shampoos) - they're gentler on your hair and don't strip your hair of color/oils.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I will rinse it, then spray in a little leave-in conditioner and style. I wash it every 2-3 days.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday and is just past my shoulders.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I usually work out before my shower, I wash my hair once a day. It's a rare weekend when I skip a washing. If I don't, my scalp feels tingly and I feel disgusting.

This exactly

Me too! And I only condition once a week!!
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    wash with shampoo every night and shampoo and conditioner it every second/third night.

If I just go to gym then its fine as I don't sweat to much but at my kick boxing class I sweat a lot and I just feel too dirty if I don't wash with at least shampoo.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair after every workout. I'm usually dripping wet and my hair is also dripping. I always use conditioner and a mild shampoo.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Long curly hair here and I also sweat like a pig at the gym. I shower in the mornings before work and give my hair a good wash then. After the gym I just wash my body and put my hair up.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I will say when I had long hair, I would wash it every other day. I am not a super sweaty person even when I work out hard, so if it was greasy the next day, I would just put it in a pony tail or a bun.

Now that I chopped my hair into a pixie cut- I have to wash it everyday. My hair tends to be on the oilier side, so if I don't wash it, it looks disgusting by the end of the day. I have tried using a dry shampoo and in a pinch it works (i have used the treseme one)

If you can get away with washing it every other day and it doesn't bother you- than try that. If not, than keep on doing what your doing but do a deep conditioning treatment once a week to help with the dryness. I will day I used a shampoo/conditioner combo from L'oreal Total Repair 5. I also bought the deep conditioning treatment and my hair has never been so soft and shiny- even with washing it everyday!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    For working out in the gym or doing road mileage, yes.

For doing tai chi or yoga (especially yin yoga) I often don't need to shampoo my hair but now that it's short I often rinse through it whether I shampoo it or not.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Shampoo is for your scalp. Conditioner is for your hair. It is fine to clean your scalp every day, and if it gets sweaty and smelly, you should. Spend the money on a quality shampoo and conditioner. Make regular trips to a good salon to get trims. Problem solved.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every morning before work and every evening after I work out. I have thick, fine hair and I have to wash it or it's disgusting. I use shampoo and a rinse out conditioner in the morning and shampoo and a leave in conditioner in the evening.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I spray a little of this on my hair then usually blow it dry on a cool setting. It makes my hair smell yummy too :)

got2b-rockin-it-dry-shampoo-350x350.jpg
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My hair is way too messy after a workout so I always am forced wash my hair otherwise it'll look horrible the next day :(
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I normally wash my hair after every workout. I have really curly hair and it just frizzs and looks horrible if it isn't controlled - I thought a workout last week didn't warrent a full wash so I left it.. ya... I wasn't looking so good at the end of the day. Ha! I've never tried dry shampoo - maybe something to look into.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Full head of Natural Curls! I only wash mine about once a week with a NoPoo (Deva Curl). I condition everyday though as it gets dry VERY easily!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I just got my hair done twice in one week (first time I got a lot of highlights that I hated and had to go somewhere else to get my hair redone), but basically the first set of highlights really dried out my hair! Luckily I don't sweat a lot (although I haven't been working out a lot lately either), but I have thinner hair so usually I get only a day before my hair looks oily. However, I'm really trying to cut back on washing my hair as often just so I don't straighten it as often. I'm using a reconstructing shampoo and conditioner that really seems to be helping (Joico Kpak incase anyone is wondering), a leave in conditioner (it's a 10 w/keratin), and I'm just trying to let my hair air dry before I straighten it. On the days when I try to not wash it, I use dove's dry shampoo and sometimes I also wash my bangs (if I feel like they need it).

If you haven't already, I'd try out some dry shampoos. Personally, I like Dove, but we have different hair types so there could be a better one out there for you! And if you're really worried about your hair, is there anything you could do to sweat less? Not that I'm suggesting to scale down your workouts too much or anything like that!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have fine, easily damaged hair and wash my hair every day. Use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner suited to your hair type and you'll be fine washing it every day. If you can get away without it don't blow-dry.

If my workout timing means I've already washed by hair once, I just leave it tied back and wash it the next day. Unless I've gone swimming, or course.