Controlling Emotional Eating!!! - Anyone have any good tips?

Options
So - Friday something terrible happened. I won't bore you with the dramatic details but it resulting in me coming to terms with my emotional eating - and the comfort that food gives me. But this is a cycle that I am trying so hard to break. So I am reaching out to this community hoping and praying and wishing that someone else has had to deal with this - maybe someone else knows about this struggle. I need tips, things I can do to because half the time - I don't even realize it until it is too late.

Replies

• kdrats64
    kdrats64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What we do is try to only have healthier snacks around. We also have taken snacks and put them into baggies that only have one serving in them. That helps us track calories easier as well as helps with eating with out thinking how much we have going in.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I assume if you're here, then you're already getting into the habit of logging everything you eat. But I think if you're trying to kick an emotional eating habit, you also have to log how you're feeling when you eat it. (I wish MFP had a comments column for this in our individual food logs). It seems like sort of a tedious exercise to track emotions in addition to food, but it will help you learn to identify the connections between the two, and sometimes even whole patterns.

If you eat in response to stress, in particular, maybe track your stress level on a 1-10 scale and log it when you log your food. But if, like me, you eat in response to stress, boredom, loneliness, anxiety, anger, etc... then it's better to take more elaborate notes. So before you eat a snack or a meal, ask yourself: "Am I hungry?" and "How am I feeling right now?".

Also, when you're feeling strong emotions that make you want to eat, it's useful to have a list of alternatives to eating. My list includes stretching, squeezing an ice cube, taking a walk, crying, calling my sister or, if I'm at work or out in public or something, ducking into a bathroom for an internal dialog to talk myself through what I'm feeling and why.

One matra I find useful is "If hunger is not the problem, then food is not the answer."

Good luck!
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is hard. I have struggled myself for years. I have found something that helps me is to chew gum if I want to eat out of boredom or emotional issues. I also second having healthy snacks and keeping treats out of the house.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that the only thing that will work is addressing the cause, not the symptoms. Try to figure out why you're doing this and address that. The eating will fix itself once you fix what is causing the distress in the first place.
  • dancequeen79
    dancequeen79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this and I noticed that part of it is an oral fixation. So keeping a bottle of water on my desk at work helps so much! I just sip from it all day and i do notice that I drink more when I'm nervous or stressed. It keeps the food out of my mouth and keeps me hydrated.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm also an emotional eater. When I started this journey in November, it was hard. REALLY hard to break myself of eating when I was bored or stressed or upset. Then I realized that food doesn't love me like I love food. It doesn't care if I'm upset, stressed, or bored. It has zero emotional investment in my body and I have a huge emotional investment in my body. And despite everything, what it came down to was that I had gained weight because I had willingly put food into my mouth. That means, I can willingly NOT put food into my mouth.

I started paying attention to myself a bit more and began to recognize when I was hungry because I needed fuel and when I was looking for a snack because I was bored. Working out made me hungry; sitting around made me bored. So I decided to make a list of things to do when I was bored. Vacuum, laundry, clean bird cages-anything to move my butt and forget the snack. I starting drinking a glass of water when I felt snacky. I cut up cucumbers and made little baggies of that or frozen grapes to grab if I couldn't resist the urge.

Then something crazy happened. I was bored one day and didn't want anything to snack on. I wanted to work out, I wanted to clean windows, but a snack never occurred to me.

So my advice is to break up with food and find something you really enjoy to take its place. Use food for fuel to keep you strong enough to do the fun thing you've started doing. Take a class, write a book, learn to swim--anything you have ever wanted to do.

You can do this!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Its never been a huge problem for me, but I used to turn to food somewhat. It helps me to remind myself that food isn't really going to make my feelings or problems go away. I might feel good in the moment, but after I've eaten whatever it is... I'm still going to be feeling that, just with a full belly now. Removing anything that I can binge on is really key for me, also. If its not there for me to gorge on, i'm not gonna do it.
  • biggjenn
    biggjenn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this topic, and thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I don't think anything will "cure" it except for working through the issues that cause it in the first place. However, I have found some tricks that help!

If I just want to eat, but don't really crave anything in particular, I'll try to busy myself with something else like exercising, cleaning, working outside, or coloring (yes, I'm 33 and I still love to color, lol).

If I am craving something, I try to pinpoint what I'm craving and see if I can find a healthier alternative. For example, if I want something sweet like candy or cookies, I'll have some fruit. Pineapple really helps with that craving. Sugar snap peas & ranch can usually help with both the crunchy craving and the salty craving. Alas, sometimes, the siren song of the Doritos cannot be resisted. When that happens, I try to work a little of whatever I'm snacking on into my diary for the day and hope for the best.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize this year, that I am a "stuffer". I don't like dealing with emotions like anger, jealousy, etc. So, instead of verbalizing what I feel, I eat. I put in my mouth what I won't let come out verbally....
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Something else I've started doing is asking myself, "Why am I eating this?". Sometimes if I can make the connection between the emotion and the food I can counteract it.
  • Galexygirl
    Galexygirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My emotional eating often used to, and sometimes still does, happen through fast food. If I was having a bad day, feeling down in the dumps, or just feeling too exhausted to go home and cook, I would hit the drive-thru. My advice, and something that I'm working on myself, is to make better choices if you do have to get take-out or fast food. At Wendy's, for example, I order a grilled chicken sandwich with a plain baked potato or salad as the side. If it helps, if you know you are going to pick food up, check the nutritional information first - know exactly what you plan to order ahead of time and stick to the plan. This has helped me on days where I lack motivation to cook or do anything really.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    For me... when I stress or get upset I want sweets and salty. I call them my trigger foods because I don't know what "enough" is of them and it usually starts a few days of bad eating.

I cut all trigger foods from my diet except for very special occasions (couple times a year). I don't eat them unless I have planned on eating them- and in what amounts weeks in advance. I also don't buy them. And I cut fast food out 100% so if I want to get something on the go I have to stop and go inside and order. Not having easy access to trigger foods adds an extra layer of time to question why I want it before it is down my throat. Not having any in my system seriously reduces cravings. So when I do crave them I know something is up and I analyze why.

If it is a hormonal issue, I suck it up and eat a different treat that isn't a trigger but will make me feel like I'm getting something special. If it is emotional then I find another outlet for the emotion. Usually working out, or talking it out. And I drink water until I don't want to ingest anything else. Or I sleep.

Helped me significantly.
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This is hard. I have struggled myself for years. I have found something that helps me is to chew gum if I want to eat out of boredom or emotional issues. I also second having healthy snacks and keeping treats out of the house.

I AGREE! Trident is my savior!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    No strategies, just empathy. Whatever sparked your eating, I hope things improve in your life. I do the same thing, but it has to be a REALLY BAD stimulus to spark the eating. Hope you're okay.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Celery. Celery is GREAT for emotional eating because it's crunchy like a snack and quite low in calories. A whole bag in the UK is about 50 calories - apparently it takes more calories to digest celery than to eat it (That doesn't mean you shouldn't log it!).

So yeah - what I sometimes do is have it around so I can have a light snack. With hummus it's even nicer! Beetroot hummus since it's also low in calories.
  • marykeblom
    Options
    I highly recommend that you see a Hypnotherapist or someone that does EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) the help that they offer is incredible and miraculous. The breakthroughs are mind blowing! Good Luck!
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also had to identify my trigger food - for me it is Peanut Butter. I was eating it for all the wrong reasons and absolutely not for any nutritional value. So, I don't eat it anymore. At all. In its place, I' started breathing exercises with deep breathing. I count as high as I need to (using slow/controlled breathing) until the urge to eat passes.

Not gonna lie - when I first started this I could count REALLY high. I removed my trigger food on 12/1/2013 and almost three months later I barely give it a second thought.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I assume if you're here, then you're already getting into the habit of logging everything you eat. But I think if you're trying to kick an emotional eating habit, you also have to log how you're feeling when you eat it. (I wish MFP had a comments column for this in our individual food logs).

There is a section at the bottom of the Diary next to where you log your water intake to add notes to yourself about your eating habits.
  • tiffaniannette
    Options

This is what I just heard of trying instead and so far (this week haha) it has been helping. When i feel like i want to grab something I shouldn't out of emotion I pop gum. I love trident but am trying out some of the Dessert flavors of Extra so I get that "dessert" taste without eating it.

Loving everyones suggestions too, so many of us suffer with this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!