i cant get enough calories

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

So you get annoyed that people ask the same "dumb" questions over and over again, yet you answer them. Stop!

There are plenty of other people on this website that will respond to them. You don't need to....

I respond to the public threads that I feel like responding to. The baffling ones in particular, such as this one and its ilk. This is part of the "danger" of public forums. Very rarely have I felt someone should not have responded to a thread, and that's generally when the OP's immediate health (physical or mental) was in clear danger. This is not one of those threads, so whomever wishes to respond, can and should.
  • jodikilleffer
    Options
    Newsflash: I know what a carb is and what turns into sugar and sugar gets stored as fat. I drink very little alcohol.

2nd newsflash: not true about eat less=lose. eat too little and lose nothing.

is that even you in the picture?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: I know what a carb is and what turns into sugar and sugar gets stored as fat. I drink very little alcohol.

ND? That's him in the picture.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How is it that this board is packed with so many of us who are/were very overweight to obese, but suddenly, when calorie counting, there is an endless amount of people who now can't get enough calories in?

This.

I for one, became obese on 1201 calories a day.

Doubtful
  • jodikilleffer
    Options
    threads like this always baffle my mind...

How did you end up obese if you cannot consume more than 1200 calories a day? I assume in your over-eating days that you were eating 2000+ a day, which is how you put on the weight, yes?

i never claimed to be obese. just 15-20lbs fluffy!
    I can honestly answer that question. At my heaviest, I was 325 lbs. I NEVER exercised, never ate breakfast and I ate high fat, high carb foods. When I started MFP, I logged what I normally ate in a day for about 3 weeks. I wanted to know exactly what I was doing wrong. I didn't feel like I was eating that bad and I was only eating two meals per day... Well, I learned that I typically ate only 700 - 800 calories per day but they weren't healthy calories. It was all garbage. Imagine my surprise when I learned the "salad" I chose to eat for lunch was packed with more fat than a Whopper and none of the protein!

Believe me when I say that not all obese people eat a lot of food... we just choose the wrong foods and we don't move consistently to burn off the calories we are consuming. For many years, I tried every fad diet out there and convinced myself that I either couldn't lose weight or had some kind of medical issue. It wasn't until this little diary slapped me in the face and taught me about my mistakes.

I still struggle to lose... over the last few years, I have lost 110lbs... recently gaining a few more back than I like. I never give up, I just keep logging and moving.

Please try to understand that those of us that are "obese" are not always over eaters... just highly misinformed about what healthy eating looks like. Thankfully, we are capable of educating ourselves and making changes. It's a long hard road... but definitely worth the journey.

I am sorry, but there is no way you were consuming 700 to 800 calories a day and you were obese. Did you have a food scale? Did you weigh, measure, log every single bit of food you ate? If one could only consume 700 calories a day and be obese then most of Africa would not be dying of starvation, and those people in the concentration camps would have been obese rather then all skin and bone...

ever heard of the "Twinkie diet"..? Look it up ...

Trust me, it really is as simple as calories in vs calories out...
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    spoiler alert: I am also a bit sexist as well but hey, you will never have to take out the trash, change your oil or open a door when you are around me. Guess there is always trade-offs.

Wanna come be my friend? :)

Lol! My thoughts exactly!

And mine :happy:
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This may not help in the calorie dept but I eat special K protein cereal (it has a sweetner on it so it actually tastes good, not like normal special k). The cereal is about 120 calories for a serving but has 10 grams of protein in it and I think 4 grams of fiber (not 100% sure) so this may help you reach your macros goals at least, which tends to suffer if you eat below 1200.

Better to have a Kind bar than this, Special K bars are full of chemicals/processed nonsense and probably not the healthiest thing to add when trying to get more calories (or, really ever)- cook with olive oil, use almond butter, eat some nuts or cheese....healthier/less proceessed is the better option more times than not. :)

I usually only eat the special k cereal (not the bars). I never really looked at the cereal to see if it has anything bad in it so idk, the cereal may be okay, but I do agree not to have the bars.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Hey there! I am in the same boat. I never get close to my 1400 calorie range. I eat all day long but I eat low calorie foods...apples, celery and hummus, bananas, a Shakology shake, cottage cheese, chicken, fresh juiced veggies and fruits. I am never hungry and if I am..I eat. it is 1:15 and I still have 1,424 calories to eat, so far I have had a huge bowl of homemade, clean chicken sausage soup, cottage cheese, 2 cups of coffee and 4 hard boiled egg(No yolks). I have not lost a lb since January! I stopped logging thinking I would eat more- I think I eat less. I am going to go back to logging. any help would be much appreciated.

If you are not losing, you are eating too much.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

It seems I'm in the minority here with not weighing my food. I get why people do it, but I use balances all day at work, I think I would lose it if I had to weigh more stuff just in order to be able to eat when I get home.

I'm in the severe minority here as I don't weigh, measure, or count calories at all.

But whether you weight or not, for the vast majority of people, if you're not losing weight, or gaining weight, but think you're in a deficit...you aren't.

It's extremely common for human beings to underestimate their calorie intake. Very, very easy. Most of these people on this board claiming that they aren't losing on 1200 and less calories, yet they're fat, are mistaken.

It's not a judgment, it's a reality. They have no real idea what's actually going in their mouths. Often they're eating more "clean" foods than they think. Or they're drinkers who wildly underestimate the beer and wine they're consuming. Or they're mindless grazers who have a cookie here, a piece of candy there, and don't count it. It's TOO easy to overeat in our society with the typical foods made available to us. I read a study just yesterday regarding underreporting. One woman was reporting that she was only eating 1000 calories a day, but the scientists tracked her and discovered she was eating over 3,500 calories a day! In fact of all the women in the study, 8 I believe, only ONE actually was undereating for her TDEE.

The majority of people on this board who are claiming that they're barely eating, yet still not losing, are overeating. That is just a fact.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    I am a very intelligent person and came here looking for help and encouragement... not dis belief and false judgements.
    It can be hard and challenging when it comes to weight loss- especially for women. I think at this point I am cautious to eat more food than what I was used to eating when i was on a fad diet or juice cleanse. The consistent exercise is new to me too and trying to compensate for those extra calories as well can be over whelming. When your told to cut back, diet and restrict- then told to eat much more than your use to is a totally different mind set. The other thing is time. I work very hard as a nurse and eating during work is a luxury. I don't think its smart to cram all 1400 calories in right before bedtime. I have been on a personal journey to wellness and trying to iron things out. Thanks for all your helpful thoughts???!

I am a nurse and work 12 hr shifts, and have no problem eating at least 1400 cal per day. I love when I have a lot of cals to eat a big dinner or snack
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How is it that this board is packed with so many of us who are/were very overweight to obese, but suddenly, when calorie counting, there is an endless amount of people who now can't get enough calories in?

This.

I for one, became obese on 1201 calories a day.

Doubtful

I think the 1200 +1 was the sarcastic part. My detector didnt go off right away either. :-D
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    Any normal healthy person can eat 1200 cals.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    This.
    And this:
    My eyes are bleeding from the overwhelming amount of BS in this thread.

I think it's some twisted novelty thing. Like "I used to over-eat, but now that I'm eating healthy, I just caaaaan't get my required calories, isn't that so cool that an overweight person can, like, have this problem? Isn't this AWESOME?"

The answer is simple: How do you eat more? Find food. Open mouth. Insert. Chew. Swallow. Later, poop. Rinse, repeat.

To those who are saying we're being "rude" - stick around. I'm sure you'll be shocked when the next thread about this subject rolls around. Here's hoping the shock wears off by the time the 30th thread like this pops up.

*high five*

So you get annoyed that people ask the same "dumb" questions over and over again, yet you answer them. Stop!

There are plenty of other people on this website that will respond to them. You don't need to....

I take the time to answer them because I hope someone that is stalking the forums like I used to, reads it and understands it even when the OP or others think they are special snowflakes and even though they are doing everything perfectly they aren't losing.

So as a thank you to all those mean people that took time out of their lives to answer the same questions over and over again, and helped me.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Right, the guy said he didnt become obese on 1200.. but 1201.. he was making a joke. :-D
  • tegalicious
    Options
    This.
    And this:
    My eyes are bleeding from the overwhelming amount of BS in this thread.

I think it's some twisted novelty thing. Like "I used to over-eat, but now that I'm eating healthy, I just caaaaan't get my required calories, isn't that so cool that an overweight person can, like, have this problem? Isn't this AWESOME?"

The answer is simple: How do you eat more? Find food. Open mouth. Insert. Chew. Swallow. Later, poop. Rinse, repeat.

To those who are saying we're being "rude" - stick around. I'm sure you'll be shocked when the next thread about this subject rolls around. Here's hoping the shock wears off by the time the 30th thread like this pops up.

*high five*

I take the time to answer them because I hope someone that is stalking the forums like I used to, reads it and understands it even when the OP or others think they are special snowflakes and even though they are doing everything perfectly they aren't losing.

So as a thank you to all those mean people that took time out of their lives to answer the same questions over and over again, and helped me.

Same here!! Glad to see I'm not the only one who was saved by the "mean people of mfp"!!
  • sarah5893
    sarah5893 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Are you buying low fat versions of products? If so switch to the full fat, it's a healthy way to up your intake.

Also if I was you I wouldn't eat back my exercise calories but instead save these calories for a weekly cheat meal or meal out, that way you'll have something to look forward to.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Since you are a nurse might I suggest looking for some research as you seem to be confused. You have lost 3 lbs and are arguing the facts with people that have lost weight. So maybe you should start actually listening to the help you are being given and stop thinking you are doing everything right because obviously you are not.
  • jodikilleffer
    Options
    Maybe I am over eating but I doubt it. I am not new to loosing weight, measuring or counting calories I eat meat in portions related to my palm size, pile on the veggies and have some whole grains too. I have occasional treats. I never claimed I couldn't get in the extra calories... I chose not eat them because I felt satisfied with my food consumption at 1,000. I jumped on this thread to see if that what was hindering my weight loss and maybe my body was in starvation mode.
  • KatiesNewGoals
    KatiesNewGoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OP, these are just my 2 cents on this. When I started losing weight back in May, I had a nutritionist give me the advice 1200/day, and don't eat back your exercise calories. So, being new, and having never visited the community section here, I did as was suggested, because you know, they were the experts.

I couldn't do 1200, so I did 1330, but rarely ate back my exercise calories, so I was netting below 1200 or 1000 calories. And wow, the weight came off. BUT, and this is my caution here, about 5 months into this, around October, I noticed my hair starting to fall out...a lot. I went to the doc, had my blood drawn, thyroid tested, etc. and it was simply due to the fact that I had lost so much weight (about 40 lbs) in 5 months, and not eating enough.

I've slowly upped my calories to 1500, eat most of my calories back, and surprise surprise I'm still losing! But I'm taking a crap load of supplements, and the doctor says, even after leveling out with weight, it can take more months to stop with the hair issue (which is mostly has, but Christ on a cracker, my hair got so thin).

If you're really working out, you need to eat more! Look at your TDEE. This is just some advice coming from someone who wasn't eating enough calories and suffered the consequences.
  • wilsoje74
    Options

Right, the guy said he didnt become obese on 1200.. but 1201.. he was making a joke. :-D

The original poster said she can't