WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note before heading home from work -

Brenda - We share a birthday! You are now the 4th person I know that has the same date as me!

February is a hard month for food. My DH's birthday is Feb. 10, my sister is Feb. 12, Valentine Feb. 14 and mine Feb.18. It's a killer week. The past two years my DH and I took a cruise to the Bahamas to celebrate both birthdays and Valentine's Day. We want to make it a tradition but this year we have an older doggie that we didn't want to leave alone for a week.

Will check back in later.
    Tina from Maryland
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Renny, I agree with you about eating the same things over and over to avoid grazing in the kitchen and thinking too much about what to eat.

:flowerforyou: I just came home from lunch at Applebee's with my line dance friends....once again I had a perfect meal that fit into the way I eat.....I had a grilled chicken breast with a side of pico de gallo and steamed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, and zucchini) and several glasses of water with a slice of lemon....women's figure skating was showing on the TV there but I didn't watch so I could come home and watch what I had recorded.

270510d08sxeyrnh.gif

:flowerforyou: Brenda, happy birthday and congrats on the weight loss

:flowerforyou: Katla, thank for the reminders about portion control

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Will someone please send some snow to Houston? Our weather is so warm, humid, and boring! I love snow!!
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

I wish I could send some snow to Houston, we have had enough of it in Michigan, hubby just raked of the roof again since we are supposed to get freezing rain and wind Thursday/Friday ...good grief what next?
    I had a good month and finally passed the "30 pound" mark and a new gym opened up the road, fighting strep throat this week so been doing nothing but sleeping and watching the Olympics and taking the "zpack" feeling better today. It seems everybody is sick of winter, even on here, lets hope we all have an early spring.

stay safe everybody and take it one day at a time, we shall succeed.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: It sounds like you and Charlie are working though things that require learning new habits & strategies, & that learning takes time. DH and I are still working on a few issues that are unresolved from his stroke a year ago.:flowerforyou:

Pat in OH: Don’t be discouraged. When you do all the right things, stay within your calorie goals and don’t lose weight you’ve arrived at a plateau. We’ve all spent time at plateaus and so many of us were the Plateau Queen at one point it was suggested that we can all be plateau princesses. Be patient and keep doing the right thing. Weight that comes off slowly is more likely to stay off. Sodium can be a problem by causing water retention. Make sure you’re drinking enough water to wash the salt through your system. That has been a sticking point for me more than a few times.:grumble: :wink:

Ginryl: When we near 500 posts you need to start keeping an eye out. There will be a link to the new thread at the bottom of the 500th post.:flowerforyou:

My computer developed a problem with its CD/DVD player and I took it in to the Apple genius this morning. It needs to have a new CD/DVD player. I’ll be able to get it in a couple of days. Meanwhile, I’m using my old, retired laptop. I’d forgotten some of its idiosycrasies. I’m sure glad I kept it, though.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; had a long day today and am too tired for a detailed post. Thinking of you all!

Cynthia
    :flowerforyou:
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Tina
    Last night at volleyball, one of my teammates came in late, she was out
    celebrating her birthday. We were born the same day and year. I'm from
    Md too. Oh, Happy belated birthday.
    Brenda from Md
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say hi. Finally it's a bit warmer today and we actually had some rain. Freezing rain/snow on its way.

I am off work tomorrow and Friday, going to watch the gold medal women's hockey game tomorrow. I'm going to try aquafit zumba tomorrow morning. I'm thinking of doing a double aquafit on Friday. The water helps with my knees.

I've come to realize that if I don't log my food in advance then I become a calorie hoarder. I don't do well with estimating what I'm eating yet. I'm getting better at it but still a long way to go.

Have a great night!

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a stretch class today. Then 45 minutes of a step class. I always wondered why I would sweat so much in this class. At first I thought maybe it was because it was more intense. But today I realized that the reason I sweat more (and therefore drink more) is because of the high humidity down here.

Found out that the cardio class they have on Thursdays is zumba which is in the gym. I remember last time I really didn't like it in the gym. But the good news is that that means that the aerobics room is empty so I'll be able to do a body pump youtube video.

After exercise class today I went to Aldi's to get some veggies and other refrigerated things (like milk, eggs, etc)

katla - it's so nice to have a "private"lesson. Sure hope they don't cancel your yoga class for lack of participation. When I taught, even if there was only one person in the class, I taught the class. My feeling was "they paid their gym membership, they came here for a class, they are a member, they deserve a class". But the powers-that-be didn't feel that way.

Heather - that squash, lentils and feta sounds heavenly. Is this a recipe you got off the Internet or something you put together yourself?

Patty - how frustrating that your test fell thru again. But maybe it was a blessing in disguise since perhaps you will be able to take it closer to your home. So sorry about your knee

Let me chine in to everyone new. Yes, I totally agree, log every bite and drink, good or bad. At it WILL take time (excruciatingly at times), but be assured, weight loss WILL happen.

barbie - I'm sure that dance will work out great for the class. You are such an inspiration.

margaret - enjoy the movie

Renny - you talked about how you don't like soda, today while I was at Aldi's I didn't even think to look for soda for Vince. I never drink soda (well,almost never, occasionally I get a craving -- like once or twice a year.). Is there a reason why you don't have your diary open? Sounds like there's a lot we can all learn. Patty can also do aerobics in the water, in the shallow end very little impact, in the deep end, no impact.

Brenda - I can't think of a better birthday present than the one you gave yourself.What I like about those Gerber pickups is that you get a small portion, enough for a lunch, yet it doesn't need refrigeration. Good to keep on hand. What I got was just carrots. I have another small one that's just green beans. Then I have some that are a combination of both.

katla - I wish you did have your diary open, but I respect your feeling. It might very well give me ideas of things that I can make for my friend who is lactose intolerant. She's also avoiding gluten, so that makes it doubly difficult. One time I made these gluten free cookies, I thought I was really helping her out. Only she couldn't eat them since they were made with butter. I wonder if that means that she can eat gluten free cookies from a store since they probably use faux-butter. I tend to use portion control, too. For some reason, I don't have a food scale, but my set of measuring cups and spoons are, to me, invaluable. When I go to a restaurant, a lot of times I just ask them not to give me any of the "fillers" like white rice, pasta, rolls, etc.

jane - hope DIL feels better fast. I'm sure Violet will enjoy CEC. I remember one year when the kids were little. They took me "out to dinner for Mother's Day". They decided that I'd really enjoy my Mother's Day at CEC....lol

Joyce - some men just feel that they're invincible and they know what's what. Vince many times searche son the Internet when he has something, think he knows what's the story. But at the first sign of even a little discomfort, he runs to the MD. We were doing the taxes the other day. In the last year he went to the ER three times. I didn't go once.

Was up early this morning, but I know that's because I took a decongestant and it always makes me wide awake. In a way it was probably a good thing,tho because evidentally the alarm on my phone for some reason didn't go off.

Pat - wish I had ideas for you. I've been up a few pounds, down a few for the last couple of years. Actually, it seems that lately I'm up more than down. I really think a lot of it is stress, I can't help thinking and praying for Bryan, worrying about Jessica and Denise.

Jill - I'm so with you on the night snacking. Let me know what strategies you come up with, even if they don't work.

Margaret is right. Artificial sweeteners increase the desire for sweets. I was just listening to an audiobook "why we get fat and what to do about it" and it says that our bodies recognize sugar and that it's going to get calories. So when we start using artificial sugars, the body sees that it's getting sugar, but no calories. So it wants those calories. You can guess what that leads to!

Ginyrl - glad you found us

Tina - happy belated birthday to you and dh

bluesky - hope you feel better fast

katla - I'm on my laptop right now, it has Windows 8 on it, at home I have XP. Some things are just so frustrating!

Michele in NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

Quick check in; read everything............Happy belated birthday to ALL our birthdays!!! Made it to exercise class this am; held 4lb. weights when I could. Then 20 min on treadmill varying speed and height. Many phone calls this afternoon. Celebratory tea with a neighbor who just gained a beautiful new DGD about noon today!!! Temp hit 70 today! Meeting for the mounted police group tonight. Saved cals today---eating lunch at a new place tomorrow that I've been dying to try!!!

Time for bed!!! G'nite all,
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: it has been a bit more than 90 days since my fall. I am walking and dancing as much as ever and have now begun a tiny bit of weight training beginning with squats and plank........today i did 60 squats--20 of them holding a 10 pound weight on each shoulder and held my plank for 2 minutes.:bigsmile: I'll add something to that on Friday and gradually build back up to a longer routine like what I did before. :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: 25,000 steps today gathered from several walks with dogs and a two hour line dance class.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: now it's time for bed since I get up so early to walk the dogs.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. ~Confucius
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Pat in Ohio. If you are interested in more specific feedback you could open your diary to your friends, or even customize it to open to only certain people. You can do that in your settings. You have lost some good weight already in my view.Your ticker only says how many lbs you want to lose, but without knowing how tall you are for example, suggestions for you may be of benefit, but could be more relevant. Of course it is totally up to you. Medications will sometimes be a hindrance to weightloss too, yet must be continued!! And then there can be those pesky plateaus as Katla mentioned. Furthermore, spouses can sabotage, by being so darn sweet and accommodating (or should i say enabling?). Those are all challenges a person faces. It is not easy, and I hope you will not get discouraged. In addition, you can always ignore any suggestions/advice people give. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I took time to listen to an interesting science debate on YouTube today. Drinking lots of water and just finished a kale salad. Mmmm, haven't had one of those in a while. This weekend I will have to work on getting the T4's out. Deadline is end of February.
  • kjtown43
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I feel like my body is adjusting to fewer calories. I've had a bad habit of munching my evenings away and also of grazing all day long. It has been quite a change to weigh, measure, and record everything I eat. It's only been a week, I hope I can stick with this for the long run!

I made a great pot of bean soup for dinner; tasty and filling. Fortunately, I have plenty of time to cook these days.

My learning experience for the day was ordering at Starbucks without considering the calories . . . 200 calories for my usual! Next time I'll figure out my drink ahead of time.

Some lovely sunshine today then back to rain. My three cats are hard at working holding the couch down.

Kathy T Everett, WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh I have such a predicament:laugh: I was programming in my DVR. I learned the hard way last week with Charlie in the hospital and missed some shows. I know I can get almost anything on the internet but some networks only give short video takes. Anyway, next Wednesday American Idol, Revolution and Survivor are all on at the same time. I can only record 3 shows at a time. What is a person supposed to do. I know I can go to the family room and watch a program and then record two shows also. But that means taking the laptop downstairs, it has a huge long power cord, moving some furniture around to plug it in. I have DirectV and it lets you check to see an upcoming showing of the same episode but none of them are on again. What to do.

my daughter is coming Friday to see us!!!!!:love::heart: They will leave on Sunday afternoon and she says she wants to go to church with me on Sunday. So that means I can not let the devil win and give me a bad headache early Sunday morning. They go to a very contemporary church but she was brought up in a church very much like this church I have been going to. She has a beautiful voice and it will good to stand beside her and listen to her voice again. I don't know if my DGDs will go or not. I know they do offer a childrens church there but I know nothing about it.. I know when the oldest stayed with us before her younger sister was born she stayed with me during church and she was a very good girl. My daughter works in the childrens department and one requirement they have is that you can't work with the kids both services on Sunday morning, you have to go to the service, the same with the children. after they get to be a certain age they go to their own department one service and church service the other time. So I don't think they will have any trouble except they are used to the very upbeat music in their contemporary church. I can't take the drums. They just reverberate in my head and make me dizzy!

I have really been working hard on my artificial sweetners also but the more I take out the hungrier I am. So it's kind of opposite what you are saying about the artificial sweeteners. We were going to go to Jasons Deli tomorrow for our 'Old nurses club' but we have a really bad storm coming so we have cancelled:sad: I had my meal all planned out and was looking forward to the chicken wrap. I have never had kettle chips but they looked better than the other kind. Any one have them before???

Bean soup, oh Kathy, that sounds so, so good. Bean soup, chili, home made vegetable beef soup, all my favorites.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sandy in ON: Hoarding calories is a concern if it leads you to starve yourself. It is great that you’ve realized it can be a problem for you and that you’ve created a workable solution. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I hope the instructor doesn’t cancel my class, too. She is the one to decide. She offers evening classes that are better attended, but the evening schedule doesn’t work out very well with my home life.:frown:

Barbie: You’ve done a wonderful job healing from your injuries. I am always impressed with your determination and self-discipline.:flowerforyou:

KathyT, Everett, WA: In the beginning when I was having a hard time with evening munching I started eating celery. It is virtually calorie free because it takes more calories to digest than it contains, & the crunch is good. The trick is to avoid putting “toppings” on it like peanutbutter or cheese spreads. Plain celery gets boring pretty quickly so I didn’t snack as much. Tea was helpful, too. I like Sleepy Time tea, no caffeine and no calories. Alison has taught me to also appreciate warm water with lemon. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Good luck deciding what things to watch on TV. Enjoy your daughter’s visit.:flowerforyou:

Yoga tomorrow, and then I’m going back to the Apple store to get my computer. It is already fixed. Thank goodness. I’m glad that I had a spare to fall back on, but will be happy to get back to my regular machine. Have a great evening and a good day tomorrow. Remember to log every bite and swallow, and to move more.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Well, not such a good morning as I woke up at 4.30 and couldn't go back to sleep. As usual I was worrying about my rental. So I read some improving liiterature - The Places That Scare You, by Pema Chodron - and felt a lot better. Had a cup of tea.

DH did not come home last night. He and his sister were having such a good time at his aunt's that they couldn't get away. His cousin and children came round also. They finally left at 20.30, so he rang and I was very happy that he should go back to his sister's for the night and not try to drive all the way back home. He was very tired.
    I didn't eat.:bigsmile:
    Didn't drink! :bigsmile:
    Didn't take a pill!:bigsmile:
    Hooray!:laugh:
    Somehow my weight is up. Some of it is sodium I know as I had a very salty day yesterday. But I also think my maintenance calories are a bit generous. I will try reprogramming my allowance. I still have a few entertaining calories to catch up on, but not enough for the weight gain. I haven't redone my ticker as I'm hoping it is only temporary. :sad:

Now I am starving! It is 6.40. Eggs for breakfast I think. Normally DH makes the breakfast, which is muesli and berries. I love it, but I do get a bit bored. On holiday we always have a soft boiled egg so I will pretend I am on holiday!
    Michele - the lentil salad was probably suggested by something I saw in a magazine, but I really just made it up.. it was delicious.:happy: Good job DH wasn't here though as lentils are extremely "windy"!:laugh: :laugh: :tongue: Luckily I was alone!

OK, off to make breakfast.
    Heather in damp Hampshire UK.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,781 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    well no snow today,but cant go out of the house since it is a sheet of ice..my poor DH left for work and put Rock salt all over just to get to the car..
    going out with my friend today and out to lunch:grumble:
    I have been bad lately, I am still logging,but havent really been eating well,not doing formal exercise..just feeling as my grandma would say punk..
    Like I said I have gained about 3 lbs back,but havent been so regimented with eating...
    I am on a mission to get rid of the extra weight and I will but I guess it is the weather,just wearing me out:huh:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I hope everyone is doing well:heart: ! Happy birthday to all the February ladies:flowerforyou: !!!!

Have a marvelous Thursday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good morning All,
    It's Thursday and will be a busy day here. I've worked at my job for 15 years and I am really sick of it. I don't like the added work that management has put onto the job, or that it's forced on us and tied in to performance, I really don't mind working, it's just that our roles here are slowly changing to what I feel is a collector vs an accounting specialist. I think part of the reason I don't like my job is because I hate sitting at a desk all day now. I've lost over 70 lbs and now find it hard to sit this long.

Since the shot yesterday my knee is doing much better, so I think the arthritis is the worst issue I have, vs the torn menisgus.
    I worked yesterday 6 AM to 8:30 last night so I didn't get any exercise in, tonight I plan to strength train and get in some cardio. Either the elliptical and bike, or the pool.

Pat Ohio, Glad you got a good night’s sleep. Even if exercise doesn’t produce a lot of weight loss, there are other ways to judge, how your clothing feels, how you yourself feel. I am personal training a 75 yr old lady and she is very happy because she feels she stands straighter, has better posture and she feels stronger. She sees a difference in her hips and the muscles in her arms since we lift weights. So, if doctor says your weights OK, maybe striving for other changes will help you.

Jill, You are correct, strength training is very important for women and I strive to get them to understand that at my Y and to start and stay with a plan. Females will not “bulk up” by weight lifting and it really does help our bones. Congrats!

Ginryl, Jealous of that weather, send some up here to Ohio.

I hope everyone has a wonderfully healthy blessed day,
    Patty, Cincinnati
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello vit F:bigsmile:
    Margareturk :smile: that’s a great idea, doing away with sugar and sugar substitutes….. slowly it does away with the sugar cravings, but I got cocky and had a bit of sweet and it was like opening the floodgates of sweet cravings
    Jill in westermay :flowerforyou: I have been reading the same. Now I’m trying it out lifting weights that is. Cant see any change, neither has the weight gone down, but few others say I look slimmer
    Tina from Maryland:flowerforyou: belated Happy birthday
    Rebelrenny and Barbie :drinker: your suggestions for having the same meal daily to curb grazing is worth a try as its tested.
    Barbie at work there has been a slight change and one of the teachers has been promoted as Principal. For reasons known to her she doesn’t like me :grumble: (???) I hope you know how awkward such a situation can be! Reading your quote, not to take things personally just lit a bulb in my head:noway: . Its her problem not mine. I have no issues. I shall continue doing what I do , to the best of my ability and wont let my mind wander about.
    Sandy:flowerforyou: that’s a nice term calorie hoarder. You are doing so well
    Yanniejannie:flowerforyou: that seemed like a diary filled to the T, hope u r having fun
    Michelle your workouts, :smile: back to back are challenging but inspire me :bigsmile:
    Barbie a 2 min plank? You r a strong lady!:smokin:
    Heather :drinker: hooray !
    I will do some cardio now, did my yoga early this morn. Hope to stick with this yoga in the morning habit.
    Anamika from Mumbai