Let's Talk About Eggs, Baby

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I notice many of you eat hard boiled eggs. I would like to have one or two now and again but I have no patience for them lol. I suppose maybe you cook them in bulk ahead of time?
    lots of 'em. Use a muffin pan and bake them.
    Whoa, bake them? This sounds interesting.
    preheat to 325. put eggs in for 30 minutes. pull from oven, put in ice bath to stop cooking. Boom. done. Do a test run, though.. don't blow out a whole dozen at the first go. 325-350 or so should be right in the ballpark, though.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I notice many of you eat hard boiled eggs. I would like to have one or two now and again but I have no patience for them lol. I suppose maybe you cook them in bulk ahead of time?
    preheat to 325. put eggs in for 30 minutes. pull from oven, put in ice bath to stop cooking. Boom. done. Do a test run, though.. don't blow out a whole dozen at the first go. 325-350 or so should be right in the ballpark, though.
    Awesome. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks.

I crack them open into muffin cups, it makes them perfect for egg and bacon sandwiches.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Funny cuz I just wrote a piece 2 days ago:
    http://en.fitforlife.fr/nutrition-en/eggs-cholesterol/
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Organic and pasture-raised from healthy chickens.

I'm just going to leaving this here...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great as long as you don't have an existing condition which would require you to limit fat/cholesterol. For normal, healthy people, EAT THE EGGS.

Incorrect. Eggs are healthy for almost everyone. The fat and cholesterol in eggs are healthy. Natural sources of fat and cholesterol are NEEDED for optimal health. We were lied to in the 1980s and 90s and new info has been around for awhile but the myth that eggs are bad just won't die.

PS: the YOLK is the healthy (nutrient dense) part. Eggs are a healthy food designed to eat whole. Please ignore people who tell you to only eat the whites! omg
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I ate 3-12 eggs a day, had steak 4-5 times a week, and would occasionally eat a pound of bacon in 1 sitting for the last year or so. My lipids were perfect when tested last month.
    :drinker: cheers!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I rarely have them for breakfast, but I have them for dinner about once a week :) Eggs are great for you. Tonight is caramelized onions, wilted spinach, and 4 egg scramble with asiago cheese. Maybe some red pepper. Definitely some cholula. I plan on scarfing these will sitting on the couch with some hot chocolate and watching Monday's episode of Lost Girl.
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The recommended cholesterol intake is 300mg per day. One egg yolk has 210mg. So if you also eat meat and dairy, I think two whole eggs is too much saturated fat and cholesterol, even if you are not otherwise at risk for heart disease or high cholesterol. I'd switch to one whole egg, and one egg white if the protein is what you're after (the white has 4g, the yolk 3g).

I add egg whites to a kale salad for lunch.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    The recommended cholesterol intake is 300mg per day. One egg yolk has 210mg. So if you also eat meat and dairy, I think two whole eggs is too much saturated fat and cholesterol, even if you are not otherwise at risk for heart disease or high cholesterol. I'd switch to one whole egg, and one egg white if the protein is what you're after (the white has 4g, the yolk 3g).

I add egg whites to a kale salad for lunch.
    Of course you do if you actually believe what you just said, and they makes those nice boxes of white for your convenience.
  • sarabreck
    Options
    Believe what? That egg whites have 4g of protein and no fat? Yes, I do believe that. I don't buy packaged egg whites. I make batches of hard boiled eggs and peel off the egg white onto a salad. Sometimes I feed the yolk to my dog and cat. I'm only interested in eggs for the protein content.
  • sarabreck
    Options
    I love all the 20-30 year olds on here boasting about all the eggs and bacon they eat. "And I'm still alive!" Wait until you're 60 and then tell me how that works out for you.

Granted, I think genetic factors play a predominant role in our health. You could eat like a saint, and if you are genetically predisposed to heart disease, you will probably still get it.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I had four fried eggs for breakfast. With four pieces of bacon. My lunch frittata has six eggs in it. I'll probably have eggs for dinner.

You should be fine OP. Because eggs.
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 2 fried eggs every morning for a while now and so far lost 13 lbs in almost 2 months, they definitely keep me full for a good chunk of the day. I just started only having one egg now though so I could have more munchies later if I want em.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs a day usually!
    You get high cholesterol if you dont eat it!
  • Omar_USAF
    Omar_USAF Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on the person..i personally eat 5-10 whole eggs a day when I'm trying to gain weight..good source of fats and protein. if anything do egg whites. my cholesterol and all other blood work is just fine too.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, especially over medium with the yolk still runny. Though to be honest, I hate egg whites, they only exists to hold the yolk.
    I need to make some hard boiled eggs to bring to work, I have a lot of trouble getting enough protein, since I only eat two eggs in the morning.
  • mmillerdba
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of eggs but now I avoid them. A little background will explain the reason for this...

I am a 40 year old male with high cholesterol (180 HDL, 240 total) and a history of coronary heart disease (CHD). My grandfather died of heart failure at age 62, and my father has had bypass surgery and a stint placed in one of his coronary arteries. Given my family history, and my high blood cholesterol levels, my doctor has advised to lower my dietary fat and cholesterol intake. He also recommends that I take a statin like Lipitor, but I really dont want to because of the side effects and because you basically have to take them for the rest of your life. So I am trying to reduce my cholesterol levels by changing my diet, exercising more, and losing weight (I have lost about 15 pounds so far, and have about 15 more to go).

So for this reason I carefully monitor how much cholesterol I am getting from my diet, and make sure it is less than 300 mg per day. I have found by avoiding certain foods, like eggs, red meat and pork products, I can usually keep it below 200 mg per day. One large whole egg has about 6 grams of protein but almost 200 mg of cholesterol. That is 2/3 of my total daily allowance and for me it just isnt worth it. In contrast, a single Greek yogurt has 12 grams of protein and no cholesterol. The only downside is the cost. A dozen eggs cost only about $2, which is what it costs for just two Chobani Greek yogurts if you get them on sale.

In short, my advice is to know your family history regarding CHD and talk to your doctor about your cholesterol. If you get tested and find that your cholesterol levels are healthy then by all means, continue to enjoy eggs. They are a great source of affordable protein, as well as other essential nutrients.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Eggs are great as long as you don't have an existing condition which would require you to limit fat/cholesterol. For normal, healthy people, EAT THE EGGS.

Incorrect. Eggs are healthy for almost everyone. The fat and cholesterol in eggs are healthy. Natural sources of fat and cholesterol are NEEDED for optimal health. We were lied to in the 1980s and 90s and new info has been around for awhile but the myth that eggs are bad just won't die.

PS: the YOLK is the healthy (nutrient dense) part. Eggs are a healthy food designed to eat whole. Please ignore people who tell you to only eat the whites! omg

Umm... how is what I said incorrect? People with diseases like diabeetus aren't supposed to have as much dietary cholesterol as people who don't have those kinds of diseases. So us "normal" people with none such condition should eat whole eggs. Read my post before you call it wrong, please.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options

Umm... how is what I said incorrect? People with diseases like diabeetus aren't supposed to have as much dietary cholesterol as people who don't have those kinds of diseases. So us "normal" people with none such condition should eat whole eggs. Read my post before you call it wrong, please.
    What is the connection of cholesterol to diabetes?