Getting out of your head while running?

Options
Hi all,

This might be an odd one - I have no idea if other people get like this.

I've done the (amazing) Couch to 5K app, which I loved, and have done 5k several times and, while happily tired at the end, have found it just the right level of a challenge for me. I'm doing a half marathon in September, and had been feeling really excited to train for it.

However, on my last 2 runs, I've been unable to reach the 5k and have stopped after around 25 minutes (5k usually takes me just under 30). When I'm running my head is telling me I'm exhausted, I can't do it etc, but when I pay attention to my body I KNOW I'm fine. I have no idea what the issue is or why I'm getting so into my own head like this, when I have done it before and know I'm more than capable of it.

Do any of you experience this, or have useful tips to overcome it? I'm really keen to get my half marathon training under way!

Replies

• allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you tried music for motivation on days when you don't want your thoughts taking over? I pay attention when Im listening to the radio - when a song comes on that makes me start bouncing in place or increases my heart rate, it gets put on my workout list. Then, when I can't put my stress and frustrations out of my head I use my iPod and just get lost in the music.
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    Thank you for replying!
    I do listen to music when I'm running but when I'm frustrated it tends to turn into irritating background noise (which isn't like me; I love music!).
    Maybe I'll give audiobooks a go!
  • sesquive
    sesquive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can't run without music, I'm miserable without it. I've always listened to hip-hop/rap while running, but for some reason, I feel that I run longer and better breathing listening to country. It's so weird to me, but it works. Pistol Annies FTW!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Congrats for finishing 5K and for setting your new goal! I am still working my way through C25K, but can relate to the "head giving up" feeling. It may sound corny, but I visualize myself achieving my goal (in my case related to horseback riding rather than running!) and how great it will feel. I also have some great music that inspires me, and it almost seems like a conditioned response now--when I hear songs from my "workout soundtrack", I want to sweat and push myself!
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure you have fueled your workout? Did you eat enough to get you through?
  • nofearbebravelive
    Options
    If you are getting the heavy legs/tired feeling between minutes 22-26 that is your body switching from glycogen in the muscles to fat burning, it takes my body 3 minutes to transition over but once it does I can run forever, those three minutes though feel like torture. Push through, slow way down, and just wait, you should feel your energy kick back up within 5 minutes max.

There are a lot of great books out there on the mechanics of running and what happens in the body, I have read I think most of the of the running books by Runner's World, I have read very old books on running from the 60's, etc.

You can do it, just tell yourself 5 more minutes, slow down, breathe evenly.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Do a different route and run on time not distance. Also slow down you may be trying to run too fast you should be able to hold a conversation,
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you are getting the heavy legs/tired feeling between minutes 22-26 that is your body switching from glycogen in the muscles to fat burning, it takes my body 3 minutes to transition over but once it does I can run forever, those three minutes though feel like torture. Push through, slow way down, and just wait, you should feel your energy kick back up within 5 minutes max.
    This is unlikely Glycogen levels would not on a normal person be depleted untill around 90 minutes of running.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    "Zen and the art of running" by Larry Shaprio

This is a really fun book that teaches awesome lessons about how to beat mental obstacles and instead relax and make the most of your runs! I've read a few books like this, and this one was my favorite. Check it out as one way to combat the issue!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I can self motivate for lifting weights, School work and most other things in life BUT running is difficult. I have a freakin COMMITTEE in my head telling me to stop or just use the eliptical. The only way I have overcome this is to get with a running group. Even if it's 1 day a week, they motivate me to keep going the rest of the time. I found mine through my local Point2Point running store, they have runners of all levels that meet every saturday morning and the split into groups according to your level and/or what you're training to do
  • GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Trust me, its all mental. When your mind starts to tell you your tired think about something else. You can visualize your goal which I find helpful, or if you find that corny just plan out your day or something. Thinking about how tired you are only makes you want to quit.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Maybe some meditation before your run, I can do this I will do this. To get out of your head you must figure why your in it in the first place. Not trying to sound all Gandhi or anything. Good luck
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I put it down to "some days are like that."

Usually, I can disconnect my head from my legs and I love those runs, my thoughts flit from deep theological issues to "oh look, there's a cloud over there and it looks like a dragon" to wondering what's going on with a friend to "how much longer" to work stuff... And I feel like I could go on and on.

And then there are other days when it feels like I'm made of lead and every step is a trial. On those days, I tell myself that if I just can make it til about 2/3s of my regular run, I can quit. I can power through til that point and then I give myself permission to stop. By that point, I usually decide to keep going but every once in a while I stop.

Some days are happier runs than others.
  • electrickazoo
    electrickazoo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I find what works best for me, is to think about something (anything) else besides running. I look at the scenery, enjoy the cold breeze, debate over how long it will take my legs to freeze if I don't hurry up, etc. It's amazing how many little details and really cool things you will see outside that you would never notice if you weren't paying attention.

I find it's also helpful if I have a deadline. I usually go for runs over lunch time, so I kind of have to make it back at a certain time (which means I can't just give up - I do out and back routes).
  • nofearbebravelive
    Options
    http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/cardioexercisebasics/a/cardiobasics.htm

http://www.umich.edu/~medfit/resistancetraining/timingiseverything101705.html

These are just two I found in less than a minute, but after reading more than 2 dozen books on running, I will stand by my previous post. Believe it, don't believe, it doesn't matter, it's just something to consider. That's it.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can self motivate for lifting weights, School work and most other things in life BUT running is difficult. I have a freakin COMMITTEE in my head telling me to stop or just use the eliptical. The only way I have overcome this is to get with a running group. Even if it's 1 day a week, they motivate me to keep going the rest of the time. I found mine through my local Point2Point running store, they have runners of all levels that meet every saturday morning and the split into groups according to your level and/or what you're training to do

^^This! A running group is a great option and motivator. I find myself running farther (and sometimes faster) when I do run with a group. I had always shied away from it in the past because I'm not a fast/strong runner but once I tried it, I realized how motivating it can be in a group setting!

Another thing that helps me push past those thoughts in my head or the screaming legs on fire is to tell myself okay just one more block or to the next stop sign/light, whatever. Usually by the time I get there, I'm ready to continue and those thoughts/burning legs are gone!

Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Slow down and get through a 5K, even if it takes 35 or 40 minutes, to break that mental barrier. Just being a bit less breathless makes a huge difference to feeling whether you can go on. Then slowly build up to your usual speed. 5K in 30 minutes is a great achievement!

Another mental trick is to break early. Walk for a minute or 30 seconds after 15 minutes, then run the rest.

For distractions, I use the "Zombies, Run!" app. you don't need to have the zombie chases switched on, the alternating between a minute or so of story that you have to pay attention between your music playlist tracks makes all the difference.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with one of the posters above, the aim of the game is to run without thinking about it too much. Your form and pace should become automatic to a greater extent, and you can concentrate on other things, be it music, or listening to your own heartbeat and breathing and footfall (which is pretty hypnotic when you get into it).

If you're running into mental blocks try splitting the remainder of the run into smaller chunks: "I'll keep going to the next corner", "I'll push on to that big tree", etc. When you hit that small target, try to push on to the next one. That way instead of having one aim & one failure, you have a string of successes to push you on.

Finally, persistence will bring you familiarity, familiarity breeds confidence, and confidence will overcome almost any mental block. Everyone has good and bad days, the important thing is just to keep at it & you'll do fine!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I found myself in the same spot for my weekly long runs, so I switched the days to coincide with a running group. Whether or not they know it, they keep me accountable and are a pretty good motivation.