Loosing weigh is depressing

Options

Replies

• christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody?!?!?! Wow, thank you for the response.... Firstly the thing that is most discouraging is I am miserable because I am hungry - I do not have that full satisfied feeling after eating a meal. i try really hard to be good i.e cereal and fruit for breakfast, half of my normal portion for lunch and a very small dinner, plus two other fruit items in between - I drink loads of water and i only have one cup of coffee with sugar in it a day. I love food and mostly i Love my husbands cooking and this whole thing just totally sucks! I've been over weight for most of my life but I seem totally incapable of getting below 104kg! I walk every day with my dogs (and I mean a long walk - 4 holes of a golf course to be exact) I work long hours and don't have the moeny to join a gym so I do my best at home - managed a 30 minute run the other day and guess what I lost a whole 100g!!!!!! Right rant over but once again sheesh guys thank you for the responses!!!! xox

Hi! I would be discouraged if I was hungry all the time too! Are you logging what you eat here on MFP? Are you weighing your food? What is your calorie goal?

The reason I ask is that I started out trying to eat at a ridiculously (for me) low calorie amount and I was hungry. I was also eating what I saw as diet foods. They just weren't filling me up! Once I plugged everything into MFP and read some of the "Getting Started" sticky posts, everything made a lot more sense.

It took me a bit to learn proper portion sizes and about the kinds of foods that are filling and satisfying. I also found that I do better if I don't deny myself certain foods. I am always going to love baked goods, ice cream, etc., so I eat them and just make sure they fit into my calorie goal for the day. There are days that I go over, but in the scheme of a week I am still in a deficit and weight loss is happening for me!

I love food too, and I cook all the time. Losing weight doesn't have to be depressing. I'm finding it quite liberating!
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    deleted, duplicate
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi everybody?!?!?! Wow, thank you for the response.... Firstly the thing that is most discouraging is I am miserable because I am hungry - I do not have that full satisfied feeling after eating a meal. i try really hard to be good i.e cereal and fruit for breakfast, half of my normal portion for lunch and a very small dinner, plus two other fruit items in between - I drink loads of water and i only have one cup of coffee with sugar in it a day. I love food and mostly i Love my husbands cooking and this whole thing just totally sucks! I've been over weight for most of my life but I seem totally incapable of getting below 104kg! I walk every day with my dogs (and I mean a long walk - 4 holes of a golf course to be exact) I work long hours and don't have the moeny to join a gym so I do my best at home - managed a 30 minute run the other day and guess what I lost a whole 100g!!!!!! Right rant over but once again sheesh guys thank you for the responses!!!! xox

Try adding protein to your breakfast. I eat cereal every morning but on top of Greek yogurt (2 percent or nonfat) and I add berries. The protein keeps me going.

You may have your weight loss goal set too high per week, and therefore your calories that MFP is giving you are too low. Try setting it for losing 1 pound a week, or 1.5, if you have it at 2 pounds a week.

You can ramp up your exercise at home with DVDs like Walk Away the Pounds--that way the weather is never an excuse. Exercise really helps with depression and mood, at least it does for me.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the very honest post. I can tell you I found it depressing for two decades until I had the moment that said enough was enough. I think the game changer of me is when I decided I didn't have to go to the gym or run every day to lose and maintain weight. Whomever invented the fitbit or the pedometer and started the 10,000 step movement, thank you! I would love to say I have time to get rock hard abs, etc but the truth is I have 15-30 minutes a day for yoga or barre3 at my home and then I walk and stand as much as possible during the day and use my nike fuel band to count the calorie burn. There is something about getting more movement that allows me to sleep more. Go figure, huh?

More sleep, brighter attitude. Brighter attitude, easier to diet. Drink more water, less tired brain, less tired brain, easier to make good food choices. You don't have to learn all the new healthy habits at once, but it is really amazing how one good habit begets another.

I think improving one's mental health is the most misunderstood thing in the world. And worth a visit to a reliable doctor to discuss your level of depression to make sure you don't have a medical issue as well. But for me, it was just making sure I was doing all I could holistically that got me here.
  • Asphere79
    Options
    So I have had this problem with standard diets that focus on low fat and moderate to high carbohydrates. I always felt hungry and as a result depressed. I switched to a high fat low carb diet and have had zero problems with depression due to not feeling satiated. Due to the high fat and moderate protein I am always full and I lose the desire to snack. Before you, or anyone else, claims that a ketogenic diet will lead to heart disease I urge you to do just a bit of research. My cholesterol and blood sugar levels were on the high side of normal but they have dropped significantly. It is now on the low side of normal. I am approaching 70lbs lost with barely any effort. I highly recommend checking out the reddit sub-forum:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=keto&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There's a place here on MFP that I go to to get motivated, inspired and look forward to what I can do,
    I love this one
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1199314-i-forgot-how-fat-i-used-to-be-found-an-old-photo

There is so much motivation, inspiration and support here for me. When I think about losing 60 lbs, that depresses me. But when I think about losing 5 lbs 12 times, that give me motivation.

It was suggested to me to make small goals, work towards them, no matter how slow or how fast... it just don't matter, as long as I am working towards them.

Good luck in finding your niche and getting healthier.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am a 28 year old who has made it her goal to loose weight this year, however that is WAY easier said than done! quite frankly loosing weight is just plain depressing for me! So, if you can offer any advice etc I would be more than happy to hear it!

Thanks
    Ange

Ange, it sure can be depressing, I have just learned when it comes to something like this, to jump all in.

Half measures avail nothing, jump in for 90 days. Just make a deal with yourself to be true to the counts for that time period. It will be a learning process. You can do it
  • tracywintn
    Options
    That "full" feeling comes with time. At first I never felt full but it's because for years my idea of full was completely stuffed. I remember thinking I never felt full at the start too, but honestly I hardly ever think that anymore, it's one of the things that have just changed with time. You can do this. Be happy for every little accomplishment (that you stuck to your cals for the day (or meal if you are really struggling), any day you exercise give yourself credit (instead of focusing on the days you DON"T exercise and making yourself feel bad) and be happy for any weight loss---even if it's 1/2 lb and you feel you deserve more. It really does get better. My weight loss is super slow (25.5 lbs in 5 months) but I told myself at the start of this that it would take me 2 years to lose my weight and even though that sucked, it's helped me not give up. I will be THRILLED if I am at my goal weight a year and a half from now....instead of starting over even bigger a year and a half from now because I gave up because the weight wasn't coming off fast enough. Good luck!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It is depressing to me due to so much of our social life is around food.
    It is very hard to go to dinner and not eat the wrong foods. Also the time frame of going out.
    I do not eat after 5:30, going out is is always after my cut off time.
    I made my goal almost 2 years ago and my weight is up 20 pounds now. I only want to loose 10, I got way to skinny.
    It is very hard!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Hows your sleep?
    Hows your monthly cycles?
    Are you taking any high quality fish oil?

On my phone for the rest of the day, if you need insight into my questions, PM.
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I second what the one poster said about "being overweight is even more depressing".
    My life also revolved around food and which restaurant I was going to next but you have to look at the big picture and how great you'll feel once u reach your goal weight... retrain your mind and find foods that you can eat tons of(salads,veggies and such)
    Going to restaurants can still be fun but just pick the right foods.

Good luck on your journey
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It is depressing to me due to so much of our social life is around food.
    It is very hard to go to dinner and not eat the wrong foods. Also the time frame of going out.
    I do not eat after 5:30, going out is is always after my cut off time.
    I made my goal almost 2 years ago and my weight is up 20 pounds now. I only want to loose 10, I got way to skinny.
    It is very hard!

I eat out all the time and have lost 93 lbs in a little more than 8 months. I don't quite understand why you have a food "cut off" time, but it's not necessary at all. As long as you eat at a deficit, timing really doesn't matter.

When I know we're going out (usually 2-3 times a week), I look at the menu, select what I'm going to eat and then pre-log the calories. Then I just have to make the rest of my day fit so I stay within my calorie goal. I don't find this method depressing in the least, but I do find it empowering and it clearly works for me.
  • walker243
    Options
    I TOO FIND IT DEPRESSING BUT BEING OVERWEIGHT IS TOO, I REALLY NEED TO GET ON TRACK WITH MY DIET BUT FOOD IS A PROP FOR ME, ANY TIPS WOULD BE SO WELCOME, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE AND WELL DONE IF YOU ARE MANAGING TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Be sure the weight loss and the depression are related. (probably are)..Deal with them as two seperate issues non the less.
    If you are hungry revisit the calorie goal you have set. Trying to lose to fast may be too restrictive an intake for you.
    You only have one friend here and a closed diary. Add some people who can incourage you daily. Learn from them by sharing information that will help them guide you. Snoop through open public diaries. See how others do this. Exercise is very good for the mind as well as the body. Give it a little more value and step it up with something that makes you happy (being yelled at by jillian micheals on a dvd or youtube video may not be it lol) but there are lots of free workouts on the net that only require body weight movement. Buy a workout outfit that makes you feel like you are REALLY doing this.

Be patient it all takes time and is well worth it in the longrun. Its a lifelong marathon. Lighten up and enjoy the view.

best of luck ~ always open to new friends :)
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    For me the trick is keeping the hunger low. Not just "behaving". If i'm hungry I can't think. If i can't think I can't plan out my meals ahead and remember to take my vitamins and drink all the water I'm supposed to.

For me that means very little sugar. Very low sodium. No booze (my vice).

If i've gone off the wagon, takes me about 3 days of doing the above and my hunger really reduces overall.
  • RobotZombieNinja
    Options
    1. Learn the correct way to set your your calorie goals, and how to eat in a way that is healthy and fulfilling. Start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

2. Rather than focusing on losing weight, set strength goals. Lift a certain amount of weight, do a certain number of push ups, or squats, and try to work towards beating that goal. Set speed, distance, or time goals with cardio. Walk/run/whatever faster, longer and further each time. Compete against yourself. Get better on those things, mind your eating, and weight loss will happen on it's own, while you can feel good about yourself for being better than you were the day/week before.
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Actually, once you start having results based on your effort, it is exhilarating and gets easier. I found that the first couple weeks are an adjustment. You have to learn new foods, eating patterns, change old habits to new habits and you have to resist that tummy grumbling telling you to snack. After about that first 2 weeks, for me, things start to click in and when you start to see success, things begin to roll. You will have days when you make a bad choice but don't worry, just get past it and do better the next day. The calorie counter is a great help as you learn what it "costs" to eat certain foods and how to adjust your intake to feel good and stay within the plan. Good luck. It does work. Add me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and watch videos of fit people exercising. This helps motivate me to get to that point. I also hit my bike right after I get my son on the bus, and just the 'high' I feel afterwards gets me through the day!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Actually, once you start having results based on your effort, it is exhilarating and gets easier. I found that the first couple weeks are an adjustment. You have to learn new foods, eating patterns, change old habits to new habits and you have to resist that tummy grumbling telling you to snack. After about that first 2 weeks, for me, things start to click in and when you start to see success, things begin to roll. You will have days when you make a bad choice but don't worry, just get past it and do better the next day. The calorie counter is a great help as you learn what it "costs" to eat certain foods and how to adjust your intake to feel good and stay within the plan. Good luck. It does work. Add me if you like. :flowerforyou:
    this.

nothing worth doing is going to be easy. If you really want it then you'll muscle through. as someone who started and stopped more times than I can count, I look back and think what pitiful excuses I had. I also learned that I don't have to be perfect..it's ok to slip as long as I pick up again.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree that, at times, religiously counting calories and pre-planning my meals is a total boner. What keeps me going is a) the results I've seen and b) I give myself a break from the counting every once in a while so I can still enjoy food without worrying how many calories I'm going over my limit. Granted, I don't completely pig out (though I did eat about a pound of frosting a few weeks ago on my birthday- but it was my birthday, screw it!) but I don't sweat it. Just keep your head up and once you start seeing pounds come off, it will be less depressing!