Does anyone here follow a gluten free diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Whambam087
    Options
    Yes, I'm gluten and grain free here! I have to admit, I was skeptical at eating this way at first, because it's a lot different than the SAD and seemed sort of extreme and faddish, but I can't deny how absolutely wonderful I feel when I eat this way! No more brain fog; stable moods and energy; no cravings or obsessing about my next meal; bloating be gone; improvements in physical fitness, and an easier time leaning out. And my blood work was further confirmation that this is definitely working for me: BP 100/60, fasting glucose 70, Triglycerides <50, Total Cholesterol 170, HDL 95, LDL 60. Will it work for everyone? I don't know. But this works for me!
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have since 2001...and by doing it my digestive system fixed my lactose and high fructose intolerances too. By 2003 my head cleared enough to ask my doctor if there was titanium in titanium dioxide (duh) a food additive in lots of processed foods and pills. Once that was removed my chronic constipation was finally cleared up. I have found out by trial and error that soy stops my weight loss, and later was diagnosed hypothyroid.

There are lots of food options out there but so calorie dense! For me they work by being on my shelf, not in my oven.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I have been Gluten free for almost 2 years now with similar symptoms. I also have a 9 year old who is gluten intolerant and has mood swings, anger, and depression when he eats gluten. As a family we took the GF a step further when we had our youngest diagnosed with a dairy intolerance and went full Paleo. So no grains, legumes, sugar, corn, potatoes, soy, or dairy. We had had issues with auto immune disorders, joint pain, inflammation, skin issues, headaches etc. We have been Paleo 9 months and although it is a total life style change we will never go back! I love to cook so if you ever have a question on what you can make that is reminiscent of a food you use to eat that you miss I could probably help with recipes. It did take over a month for the detox to be complete enough to gauge how we were feeling as it is a time issue when getting off foods your body has become addicted to. I know for me as well that I cannot cheat with gluten ever! I have accidentally had something like soy sauce in the beginning which at first I did not know contained gluten and my body let me know within 15 minutes of ingesting it and then I had to run to a rest room. Hope that helps and good luck on your journey to health!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would read info from Dr. Mark Hyman who wrote a bunch of books, primarily the Blood Sugar Solution and the10 day detox. Also Read Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter. It may shed some light on other avenues to pursue also. They both are proponents of GF but also look at other things too. Might help and couldn't hurt. I have been gluten free along with egg free, dairy free. I had some blood testing done that indicated I have sensitivities or intolerances to many foods such as bananas, all melons, all gourds, yeast (bakers and brewers), vanilla, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, cloves and others. On my own I have added to my list probably another 10 items which are family members to the ones I tested positive to. While not an exact science, it has done wonders for my headaches, digestive system, skin, etc. The reason for the year long removal is to give my digestive system a chance to heal. Since I have removed these foods and started using medical shakes to replace the nutrients lost in my foods (which I wasn't necessarily absorbing anyway) I feel wonderful, good sleep, lots of energy, clear minded (no fog brain), lost 20 lbs and the list goes on and on. Good luck and keep pursuing good health. Also, my bp #';s have gone down to normal, my blood sugar is now of a 20 yr. old (I am 55) and before I was pre-diabetic. Next week I will find out if my inflammation # and Cholesterol #'s have gone back to normal. It's sort of like following paleo like the poster above but a bit more specific because of the testing and knowing what other foods to remove. While all the foods I had to remove are "good" for you foods they weren't for me.
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but...

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in OCT 2012. My symptoms were the same as yours. My primary symptoms were migraines and "brain fog" and the next biggest one was digestive issues. I suffered with all of that for years. Within a week of stopping all gluten, the things I had experienced for over 17 years were GONE.

It is definitely worth a try as eating Gluten is not essential in daily living. you do not need to eat it, so its not like it will hurt you to stop.

As for dieting while being gluten free, the best things to eat is just clean, whole food like meats, fish, fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, I have got myself hooked on a lot of gluten free versions of foods like breads and cakes and cookies, which most of the time have more calories and fat than the gluten versions. When I am trying to lose weight, I keep all that to a minimum and eat more vegetables, more salads, greek yogurts. I buy Gluten free oatmeal too. I actually havent had a problem with regular oatmeal but there is so much risk of cross contamination with it that I don't like to chance it. The simpler you keep your diet when going GF, the better.
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free since 2001, discovered it while on 6 week makeover diet -- clean for 3 weeks then ate one chicken McNugget and all I wanted to do was go take a NaP!

Eating gluten causes my face to flush for hours, fatigue, and gives me 4 days of absolute constipation!, all of which I can do without!

Since the gluten free foods are calorie dense they look better on my shelves than on me, but I like to know they are there if I choose to make them.