WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

I just saw this and hope I can join in. I recently started back with MFP and have had a good couple of weeks. I haven't yet started including exercise, but with knee problems that need Ortho evaluation, I'm a bit limited on what I can do. Ok, in reality, I'm not that focused on getting exercise included yet. Not sure why, because I've been able to in the past.

In any case, I live in Virginia and look forward to reading about the day to day challenges and successes here that others in my age group live with. Makes me feel not so alone, you know?

Hope you all have a great day.
    Sharon in VA
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All;
    Another morning waking up to more snow :noway: :noway: ...supposed to get freezing rain too :huh: ...Been quiet here except for the weather...We had to go to Windsor yesterday to my Pain Dr....the roads were slushy and we drove into strong winds 3/4 of the way there...cannot wait till Spring :love:
    I have been mostly sedate as my legs are paining so bad I could cry :cry: But life goes on...been raiding the cookie can :sad:
    noticing after I eat sweets I get very dizzy...so that might keep me from eating them :angry: I should be able to control what goes into my mouth but I was paining to the point I needed some junk...sooooo discouraged with myself :grumble:
    Have some work to do here this morning..vacuuming...sweeping floors...stripping beds...so I best get to it...being away yesterday just compounded the work that needs doing here :huh:
    I wish for you all a great day..the weekend is almost here...Find a bit of joy each day..keeps the wrinkles away!!!

Liz fr Halifax NS
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, and welcome to all the new ladies!

Yesterday we were supposed to get thunderstorms, but it never happened. We could use a little rain, but a storm is never fun. Especially at night. The sound of wind scares me (silly, huh?) and it's not totally unheard of to get a tornado in February, so I was glad the storm never happened.

Yesterday I took grandson to story time at the library, then lunch, then to school. Then went to my studio for a little while. The kiln wasn't cool enough to unload, so I went to the Y. Did my 30 minutes on the cardio machine, then changed for the pool, opened the door and found the pool packed with teenagers! What the heck? 2:30 on a week day? The lady at the desk said they were having lifeguard training. So I didn't get to swim. Poo! Went back to the studio, unloaded the kiln, glazed a few test tiles, then went to the grocery store and home. Not a terribly productive day. I had some tightness in my chest all evening, and it's still there this morning. Stress I think.

Hubby went to the EN&T doctor and didn't find out a lot more, but they did give him a sheet describing the test results which listed his apnea as "severe" and his Second Degree Block as "paroxysmal". I looked that up online but couldn't even understand the gibberish that came up. They want to do a second sleep test which is three weeks away. I would have thought they would be in a bigger hurry to get him fixed up. We are still waiting for word on a cardiologist appointment. Meanwhile I'm scared. This heart problem seems a lot scarier than the clogged arteries that I had. They said his heart is not getting enough oxygen at night because he stops breathing so much. So all night I laid there listening for his breathing. Finally got out of bed about 5:30.

I've been thinking a lot recently about how horrible it would be to lose him. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. I hate to nag him to take better care of himself, but somebody has to.

Now, I'm pooped and don't know how I'm going to function today. Good thing I don't have a real job. I will probably do more surfing, looking for info on his condition.

I hope you are all having a great day!

Sylvia
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies!
    I slept in late this morning. I woke up at 2:30 and couldn't get back to sleep until 6:30.Finally slept until 8:30. I hate sleeping in- it feels like I am wasting precious time!! I guess I needed it though.

Today I MUST get ahead on lesson plans. I need to move my students a bit faster if we want to get through all of the content the state tests them on. It is difficult to pace these courses since it is my first time through all three. My school is so small that I am the only one teaching them. One of the teachers that taught them last year retired, the other one has a very full schedule with all new preps herself so I am really on my own to figure it all out. Doing my best, but think next year will be much better!

I am with you Barbie about eating the same meals and snacks frequently. Most of what I eat falls into that category. I hate spending all of my time trying to plan out meals. My DH is a great cook and does some of the dinners, but I always need to remind him to go easy on the fat! I have gotten a bit more creative myself and cook something different about once a week. Last night we worked together and made spaghetti squash with a sauce with chicken stock and freshly roasted peppers and tomatoes, onion, and garlic. It was so good and low in calories.

My new DVDs should come today. Very excited to try something different!

Michelle- The DVDs I ordered should come today. I ordered Dirty Dancing Official Dance Workout, Paul Katami's Ultimate Kettlebell for Beginners, and 30 Day Butt Lift. I love that you can watch clips before purchasing them.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Deb A in sunny and warmer CNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: The weather has given you a lot of extra work, but you are a woman who always works too hard to take care of others. You need to take care of yourself, too. I hope you’ll be able to let yourself rest more often. Hugs.:flowerforyou:

Patty, Cincinnati: I’m happy to hear your knee is feeling better. Sorry about the job situation.:flowerforyou:

Anamika: I’ve switched away from sugar in my coffee to liquid stevia. A very tiny amount of stevia goes a LONG way. The artificial sweeteners have poor health consequences. I do use sugar in recipes calling for it, but since we don’t eat many sweets it doesn’t come up often.:flowerforyou:

Sharon in VA: Welcome. Several of us have knee issues, so you’ll find sympathy along with your daily Vitamin F. This group has been a miracle in my life and I’m thrilled that I found them.:flowerforyou:

Liz: I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having problems with pain. I hope you find a better solution than sweets. DH was helped by acupuncture & gua sha, a form of massage. You can see examples of gua sha on you tube if you are curious.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: We were experiencing very dry conditions until recently, but our current storm has eliminated drought worries and I’d be happy to send you some rain. :bigsmile: Too bad I don’t have that ability .:noway: I have no idea what 'paroxymal' means but I often find useful information by googling things. There are some medical sites that might have explanations that a regular person can understand. Perhaps some of the nurses here who are medically trained can help with understanding.:flowerforyou:

DebA from CNY: Good luck cramming more content into less time. Let us know how you like the DVDs.:flowerforyou:

I finished the baby blanket I was knitting and have no sign of trigger finger! Yay for square knitting needles. :love: The last bit involves crochet chain making and I used a gizmo I bought at Walmart to make the crochet hook easier to grip. It worked. :bigsmile: Today is shaping up. I have yoga this morning and can pick up my repaired computer from the Apple Store. I’ll be glad to have it back. This reliable old thing can go back into retirement once again.

Have a great day! :drinker:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow...took 2 days but I found this thread! Glad to find you!

I'm Rosey, 58 years old, retired health care worker, caregiver to a disabled adult child and 3 aging parents (two of mine, one of my husband's).

I have 35 lbs. to lose, would be delighted to lose 30 of 'em. My challenge is sustaining effort in my own self-care when the needs of others often take priority. This time back at MFP, I'm doing well. I am determined to keep myself up on top of my own to-do list.

I am looking forward to getting to know ya'll!

Rosey
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Did you ever have one of those days? Well, I’m having one today and just have to vent a little.:grumble:
    It started when I fell on the ice while walking Milo this morning. I hit my elbow pretty hard (also my butt), and they are getting more and more sore by the minute.:embarassed:

When I was getting hot water for my oatmeal this morning in work, I dropped the entire bowl all over the floor and down the water cooler.:noway:

I just think it’s going to be THAT kind of day! :sad:

I cannot get back on track after returning from vacation. We had two wonderful weeks (one in San Diego and another in Cabo San Lucas). We had several days of all-inclusive in Cabo, and boy did we eat and drink! Upon our return, I weighed myself and wasn’t surprised that I had gained six pounds. But I didn’t realize how hard it would be to go back to eating normally. I don’t know if it’s the weather or what, but I feel especially tired all the time, and craving sweets like crazy. I can’t seem to wake up in the mornings, and by the time I get home from work I am wiped out.:yawn: I have been going to bed around 9:00 (when I usually make it to 10:00) and never feel rested. My exercise routines have been hit or miss at best, and today I came downstairs all ready for exercise, and promptly fell asleep on the couch! I woke up just in time to get ready for work. :huh:

I read this book on Will-Power while on vacation (there are lots of books entitled “Will Power”, and I don’t think this was the good one). I was so distracted from all of the spelling and grammar errors. It also didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know.

I think I am my own worst enemy when it comes to setting goals and keeping them. I overthink things too much, and then give up because it all seems so overwhelming.:angry:

I’m not saying I’m giving up, just having a hard time sticking with the program. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :heart:

Thanks!

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (40%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET-STILL LOOKING!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Not in THIS weather!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Not lately!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :cry:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Hi there Rosey!:flowerforyou: Wow, what a lot you have on your plate! You are right, you can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia - what a worry for you. Let's hope it isn't too serious. It doesn't sound as if the doctors are treating it as an emergency! :noway: I did look it up, but, like you, I was baffled by the jargon.

I did go back to sleep for an hour and a half and then got up and did my gymming! Yeah! And strength training. Then I put the Christmas turkey carcase on to make a sea of stock. Yum! This afternoon I got the urge to make bread, so I am proving 3 lbs of granary flour right now which will be two loaves and eight rolls. It will be good to have some rolls in the freezer as I don't always feel like bread for lunch and DH always does.
    He is back and obviously had a good time. Lovely to see him again. :heart: He is about to tuck into a cinnamon crunch muffin! :laugh: I will have a small bite to check it out. :laugh: My cleaner has also gone off with one. She brings me eggs sometimes from her own hens so I like to give her something.
    Some lovely decorations for cupcakes arrived today. I ordered them for the baking adventures I do with DGS. I thought we could make mini cupcakes next time so I ordered animal faces and butterflies. The faces arrived today and are all intact and adorable. Can't wait! Hippos, elephants, lions etc. Very excited!:laugh: :laugh: :tongue:

Lizplus - hope the doctor can get your pain under control. So sorry that it is a trial.:cry:

Love to all, got to check out the bread.:happy:
    Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just a quick pop in to let you know that I'm keeping up with everyone even though I'm not necessarily posting. I'm having a real struggle with life right now and working on head stuff. Eating has been clean since Monday. However, it's 10:30 a.m. here and I still have yet to eat anything today. My stomach is growling but, at the same time, saying don't dare put food into me because I will upchuck in a heartbeat. The brain wouldn't shut off even though my eyes were so tired I couldn't hold them open last night. I probably got no more than three hours of sleep. I've been awake since around 3:30 a.m. except for dozing for about fifteen minutes before the alarm went off. Since this is a public forum, I can't say much, but I found out last night (for not the first time, but the worst time) that I am the subject of speculation and gossip within a group that I should be able to trust. I'm unsure of what to do. I would just shrug it off but it involves someone else. Anyway, thanks for "listening" to me vent a bit. Keep up the good work and hugs for those struggling!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally thought to look up just the definition of the word paroxysmal and found that it just means recurring. Why couldn't they have just said that? It's the big words that are scaring me.

Heather, you are right that they don't seem to think it's an emergency, so I can take a little comfort in that.

Katla, I've googled myself blind already. That may be the problem. An overload of information and most of it way over my head.

NCcarolb, I'm so sorry that you find yourself the subject of gossip. At one place I worked, we had a huge gossip problem, and we suspected it was coming from one particular person. So, I whispered "in confidence" to her that I might be pregnant and that I didn't know who the father was. I told her not to tell anyone. It got around the company and back to me within two hours. The boss and I confronted her and told her it was a test and she flunked. After that she pretty much stopped talking to me, but I'm not sure the problem was really fixed. Some people never change.

Lucy, how much are you trying to lose? How long have you been at it? Is that your photo? You look pretty good already in that picture. I don't know what to tell you about sticking with it. This is the first time in my life that my mindset was just right for sticking with it, and to be honest it took a health scare to get me here. Now, I just think of it as kind of a game every day. Loss - I win. Gain- I lose. Tomorrow the game starts all over again. Sorry you fell. Tell us more about Milo!

Rosey, welcome!

I'd better get myself to the Y now. Bye again!

Sylvia
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Two more pounds off for a total of 34. I am so excited!!!! And people say it's too hard to lose after age 50!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am on my tablet, so no guarantees that I will remember what various people have said and my response to possibly the wrong person.!:bigsmile: in addition, my natural clutziness may just take over. okay, now that that is out of the way.:bigsmile:

Michelle, I don't have my diary open these days because there is nothing in it:ohwell: :ohwell: . I have been eating the same breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks. Because I felt myself in such a busy time (flying off to Holland to see my mom for example), yet kept the regiment going, I decided just to lock my diary, so people would not get worried about me and I don't have the stress of trying to keep up. I also continued to lose weight..slowly

Slow weightloss has been key for me. I aldo ramped up my activity levels by joining Jazzercise and yoga. I feel great. The other good thing is that my clothes fit better, my bra is a size smaller, and pretty soon I will be able to wear my rings again!

:flowerforyou: the other ksf (key success factor) has been to read these posts. I admire the women who describe their struggles, successes and setbacks on this thread. I don't always respond, but read everything.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :noway: see, there I go again. It posts my post while I am not even finished. Such a clutz.:bigsmile:

It's a sign for me to shut up!

Bye for now.:heart::heart:
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Lucy- I understand exactly what you are going through as I have been there myself! I had to reset by paring down my food choices drastically. You have always been better at the consistent exercise than I am, so No real advice there. I did find some new videos that I really enjoy doing. Leslie Sansone has a Walking with the Hits that is supposed to incorporate high intensity interval training. I really like that one. I also ordered Dirty Dancing Workout and use Sweating to the Oldies. I love the older music and find myself more willing to "dance" than to exercise. Maybe something new would help you through until the weather cooperates. iIthink many are sick of winter and are feeling less energetic because of it. I personally love the snow and have felt more energized this last week since we got a lot.

NCcarol- Sorry you are dealing with this. I went through something similar at the end of the school year last spring. It literally felt like I had been kicked in the gut. Although I am much more cautious about trusting coworkers and don't feel as though I even want to be a part of the school community, this year is going much better. It has taken a lot of the joy of teaching out of my life, but I am working hard to gain it back. I guess what I am trying to say is hang in there. It will get better.

Sylvia- Hope you get answers soon. I always have a problem with doctors that don't make your situation clear. I resent them talking down to me as though I couldn't possibly understand and they will take care of it. I feel we should know what is going on with our bodies and all of our choices on how to handle it.

Must get busy!!

Deb A in CNY
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hi, have been trying to keep up with reading all the posts, busy bunch!

I have finally gone down 2 lbs, takes patience, logging food and exercise plus drinking a ton of water......who knew that would work lol
    Have to run nice mild weather here today but not going to last so Dh and I are going out for a walk
    Thoughts and prayers with you all

Juanita
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!All.
    Sore shoulder still.
    Getting rain and flooding now,temps 50.
    Friend is tolerating the medication so far,thanks for the prayers and well wishes.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Have a good one all.
    Hugs to those that need them:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane-rainy IL)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon wonderful ladies,

Jane IL glad your friend is improving!

Renny good job making good choices without logging every day. I miss a day here ant here too. I have been on maintenance for over a year.

Taliana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juanita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol sorry about the gossip. I hope that isn’t why you had trouble sleeping. I am glad you are eating well I know that helps me when I am facing difficult situations.

Lucy one day at a time or as I recently read one bite at a time. Stop to ask is this bite going to make me feel better or worse? Exercise can just begin by moving in some fashion every 30 minutes; I know how hard it is to get a good night’s sleep. Do what you need to do to improve your sleep. All three eating, exercising, and sleep work together to help keep your healthy. It sounds like you are ready to make changes.

Anamika thanks for the encouragement in limiting my sugar and the reminder taking just little bits if I am not careful can get out of control quickly.

Deedee:drinker:

Right now we are getting rain. It is supposed to turn to snow. I figure the longer it is rain the less snow we will get. The less to shovel. We are running out of space to put the snow.

Take care myself today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.:smile:

:heart:

Margaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I would explain paroxsysmal as occuring without reason. They know it is there but have not found a reason for it. Or there might not even be a reason for it. I have what is called PAT, paraxsysmal atrial tachycardis, it is a fast heart beat, generated from the upper chamber if the heart with no known cause.

Bad weather is supposed to start with us this evening also. I hate it when we have 66* temps in February. It just spells dangerous weather. Hope everyone is safe.

I may actually not watch American Idol this season! First season since it started that I may not watch. I am watching the show that they are having the top 24 sing and I'm just not into it this season. I will not give up Revolution or Survivor and they are all on at the same time.

Well I have watched my Ipad app to see who has won the gold medal in womens figure skating. Nope, won't tell anyone who won it and who didn't. I will still enjoy watching the beauty of the skate tonight even though I know the results.

I am so, so glad I am no longer working and don't have to be involved in job changes, evolving into things that we didn't initially intend when we fist went onto the job. I know nursing has completely changed and I'm not sure I can say for the better. I just know I'm glad that I'm not there. The money they make would not be worth it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies,
    well went out with my friend Doris and had a ball as always,
    I had french onion soup with salad for lunch and we split a stuffed mushroom appetizer,
    I was bad though and bought the dark chocolate cadbury mini eggs, I gave one bag to the groomer and have 2 bags here,but I came home and measured out a portion into snack bags and marked the calorie count on them, and put them away. it is 180 calories for 12 eggs,
    If I am in dire straights then I will have one bag..
    I am stuffed from lunch so wont eat dinner, and I am making taco's for the DH, would love some ,but maybe tomorrow night.
    have gotten 8,000 steps in so far today,have been going non stop since 3:30 this morning.
    I forgot the taco seasoning and asked the DH to pick it up at the store, we shall see how he does
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: I am having a good day today! We booked our tickets, rental car and hotel for California this morning so that is all set for the end of July. My February goal is to average 6000 steps per day and last week I averaged 7100 per day. It has been melting here the last two days and when I went out to take care of my horse Jule I found she had rolled in the mud. I am sure I burned a few extra calories grooming her today:laugh: Then we went in the indoor arena where there is deep sand footing and I walked her around for a little while. That is hard work!! My fitbit gave me very active minutes for that.:wink:

Katla - You are into horses I think and to anyone else that loves them. There is a video on YouTube of the Mounted Police of Olympia doing a performance at London. It is fantastic!! These guys let their horses go and put on their jackets while going over jumps. Totally amazing. :noway:

Everyone please take care of yourselves. You are all very special. Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD