How can I speed up my weight loss without exercise?

Options
12346»

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend for my reply to be "everyone's telling me to change everything I eat" it was a comment about my past. I do see a lot of posts telling me to stop whining and exercise. I put my activity level at stationary because I only work 3-4 days of the week, on those days I am up and down a ladder and using my arms all the time- cleaning or painting. I didn't want to put my activity level higher because it might tell me to consume more calories. Truth be told I wouldn't mind walking on a treadmill, I used to do it twice a day 3 days of the week but now I live in a 550 ft studio apartment and no longer have room for it. Aside from walking around outside in the cold I can only walk around my small apartment or go to a gym (which I can't afford a membership for at this time). My point is that I am at home the days I don't work and the only movement I get is cleaning but it's not that I'm sitting at a desk every day being inactive. I get some exercise from work but after reading all the posts I will try to find a few exercises I can do at home in my tiny apartment and go from there.

If you have a smartphone, check the APPS tab. There are a lot of great apps there plus if you check the App Store there are a lot of other great apps. Many are free or free with upgrade option. There are also a lot of wonderful videos on YouTube. You can use these in the comforts of your home. That's what I'm doing along with the 10,000 step challenge. If you are close to a mall, you could walk there to help get your steps in. If your apartment is part of a multi-unit building, walking the halls and/or stairs works well too. There are a lot of great ideas out there for getting exercise done in your own home.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't expect sympathy from anyone and I admitted to one of my flaws outright. I make no pretenses about myself, I know I'm not doing what is right by adding exercise and changing everything I eat. I am only asking for advice on small changes that may help me speed up the process. If I wanted to change everything I eat and exercise all the time I would but I've been down that road before.. I felt better in body but I was still miserable because everything tasted bland and I felt like eating those foods was only a chore. I don't want to go back down that road again.

In your first post you identified a couple of changes that you have made. That's good.
    If you read a number of the success stories many people started where you are, oftentimes with lots more weight to lose. Some dreaded being seen in public, even walking, some bought gym memberships then sat in the car working up the nerve to go in and work out. Lots of folks used exercise dvds from their local library, some used videos from Youtube, and exercised in their homes.

Yes, you can reduce your weight without exercise, but the overall health benefits of it are worth the effort. And if you add exercise to your weight management, you have a few more calories to work in your meal plan, and you will enjoy the benefits to your overall emotional well being.

There's lots of obstacles that you can "imagine" away.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I really just think the main problem is the attitude and wanting it all off, NOW. It's just not going to happen! I workout almost everyday and eat well and it's taken me almost 2 years to lose the last 10lbs. The first part came off easier but maintaining a 2lb a week loss all the way through? Darn near impossible.

I can practically guarantee that if you keep up this impatient attitude you will not lose the weight, but get discouraged and quit. Make small changes and it will come off without you having to make huge sacrifices. Will it be gone is 6 months? No. Will it be gone eventually? Yes, if you stick to it.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Is there any way I can speed up my weight loss without adding exercise or drastically changing everything I eat?? I know to some this may sound silly but for me I feel like the speed I'm currently at is just not fast enough. At this rate it will take me half a year to get to my goal and that's IF I don't plateau completely (I'm nearly certain I will at some point).

Fast weight loss often leads to failed maintenance long-term. Quite a few contestants on The Biggest Loser struggle with this. Don't try to lose that fast. Slow & steady wins the (long-term) race.

When I first started with MFP last fall, I was 297lbs. So far I'm down to 274lbs (as of last weigh-in). Guess what happened over the weekend? My boyfriend proposed, and I said yes (YAY!) We would like to get married later this year. Does that mean I'm going to try to lose weight in the fastest way possible just so I can fit in a small wedding dress?

Nope.

I will continue my weight loss journey at a healthy pace. I will continue to track what I eat & work out. If that means I'll be a 250lb bride, then so be it. If I'm 230lbs, then great. My main goal is to continue to progress (whether in pounds or inches.) In either case I'll be better off than I am right now, and I'll DEFINITELY be better off from where I was last fall. But most importantly, I'll be happy. :happy:

Such a great attitude. You will be a beautiful bride no matter what you weigh on the big day because you will be with the man you love and proud of all the changes you have made and continue to make. A smiling and happy woman is the most beautiful kind there is.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Did you gain all your weight in 6 months? I didn't think so. Why expect to lose it in 6 months and less?

You won't make it.

Not because I don't want you to make it, but because you've the wrong mind set.

Your diet is not controlled and gradual enough. You find your diet hard right? Then you won't make it. Most people cannot be on a hard diet for 6 months. You should go on a more controlled gradual weight loss by eating slightly below your maintenance and allowing for cheat days if you need them. It might take you a year to lose your weight. Or even longer. But that's the only way you stand a chance to keep the pounds off.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations, because you have lost 9 pounds since January 24th, that's only 27 days! You need to realize I've been here well over a year and don't ever remember losing that much in 27days! Again congratulations and keep up the (great) work. Feel free to add me for support because I do understand about your loss and wish mine would go faster too!

Whatever you are doing keep doing it because it sounds like to me you are having great success:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is also closed and you only have 2 people for support. Take my word open your FOOD DIARY and add FRIENDS that will support you. It will also help you in many different ways. Just saying, have a nice night.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    first of all, disregard all of these sarcastic jerks on here. If losing weight was easy, there would be no need for forums like this. Why are they here? Bingo, cause they need help too.

Anyways, yes , you can lose weight without exercise. Very obese people can only do so much exercise anyway. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, with or without exercise. There will probably be some muscle loss too, but there will also be fat loss. Maybe when you get closer to your goal, you will have the desire and the energy to do some form of exercise. Walking is the best low impact exercise there is, IMO.

One more thing, be prepared for a slower weight loss, because exercise burns calories, especially dancing and higher impact stuff.

If you haven't already, figure out what MFP calorie requirements are for a sedentary person, and MPF will tell you how much weight loss per week you should expect without exercise. I would guess probably one pound a week. Hey, that's better than gaining, right?

Actually you are incorrect, there are MANY people here on MFP who have reached their goals and have maintained for quite a few years. Those people are still here because they want to help others achieve the success they have and they've learned a lot on their journey.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few people on this site that will say "Eat less" and they are right to a degree. What really counts is that you log foods that matters to your body, that your body can use to work more efficiently. Focus on eating meals that are not only low in calories but high in protein and nutrients. Junk Food may satisfy your calorie goals but it won't satisfy your body's needs.

A race car (your body) needs premium gasoline to optimize the engine's performance.
    Now consider the important function your liver plays in your fat loss. There is no need to jump on any Cleanse/Detox diet just focus on real food, skip the High Fructose Corn Syrup and salt, and eat your veggies.

Exercise is different for everyone. You may not like to sweat but you could like something else. Some as simple as going for a walk. It really doesn't matter just as long as you are moving. I can get my heart and body moving turning up the radio and rocking out in my living room. Find what is fun to you and you will be much better for it.

Good luck.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 43 lbs. I eat what I want in moderation for around 1800 cals a day. I'm still working on a lot of things like balancing my macros and emotional eating due to chronic illness (food makes me feel better for a little while when I'm crying from pain). I just get back up and keep going. In terms of exercise, I went and looked for things I like. I LOVE the water, so I take two water classes. i LOVE to dance so I do belly dancing and zumba. I need something meditative because of stress so I do yoga. Just start small. I started with just one water class.

My suggestion would be to calculate your TDEE-20% at desk job with little exercise: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Don't forget to recalculate this every 5-10lbs lost and the closer you get to your goal weight, the less your percentage will be. Once you at 35lbs away from goal, you'll set it to TDEE-15% and once within 20lbs, for 10%.

I'd also set your macros to a 40% cab/30% fat/30% protein ratio for a while and try to hit those percentages.

Good luck!
  • UltimateMedu
    UltimateMedu Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few people on here, you can't be a little nicer? BUT - I was going to say you're going to have to have some type of exercise. I find that even small things like walking home from school instead of driving/getting a ride helps a lot. So you're going to have to somehow if you want to speed it up. There may be some foods to help speed up your metabolism but I doubt it'll change much without a form of exercise (like I said, even walking for 10 mins). Good luck!
  • Jpvercio
    Options
    dont let these people discourage you. I am sure that all these people with their smart comments are true workout warriors and have the exact body they wish to have.
    I know what you mean, you want the instant gratification of your diet change without the hard work that comes with it. I would like that too, but I know i have to work at it to get the results I want.
    Start out slow, 10 minutes at a time and work your way up. Take small steps and enjoy your journey.
  • pappaprc
    pappaprc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As my dad told me when I was younger. "Son, wanna lose 20 ugly pounds? Cut off your head." Yeah my dad was awesome! Your question shows your commitment to losing weight, little to none. Have to put in work or starve yourself. Good luck1
  • nanadayana
    Options
    Hi.

I can totally relate to you. I hate exercising too. When I first started, I look up on every articles that say we can lose weight without exercising. And the answer is, yes we can. The weight loss principle is simply just eat at calorie deficit. You can work out the number of calories that you can eat by calculating your TDEE. Simply just eat lesser maybe 70% - 80% from that figure. It depends on your current weight. You can google the calculator online.

I also drink green tea 3 times per day (after meal) and drink enough water for my weight. How much water your body needs also can be find online. You must drink enough water it can helps in your weight loss too. And, I drink ACV + honey (diluted in a glass of water) before bed. I consume 1000mg of Vitamin C everyday. I believe ACV, green tea and vitamin C help in weight loss. Either way, they're all good for our body.

I eat everything that I want. I don't really categorized any food as good or bad. For me, we have to respect our food. Eat everything you want but make sure you eat only the portion that fit your calorie limit of the day. If you still 'want' to eat something when you have reach your calorie limit, just always remember, there's tomorrow for that food. Make way for your stomach to rest and eat that food you want tomorrow.

As for exercise, as at today, I still don't run, or jog. But I have started doing planking and squatting. I also do stretching and reflexology. They are some form of exercise too. I find it fun and simple. But if you're not ready to do it, it's okay. I hope one day you will find these things as fun too. But you don't have to push yourself now. Remember also, you have to be happy. This is about our emotional health too, right?

Since we have dropped the exercise thingy, we have to be very very focus about our calorie intake. By focus I mean, be honest to yourself, everything that you eat/drink must be taken into account. No hidden calories in our food diary. Some people suggest to weigh our food. It's a good suggestion so we can be sure. But reality check, sometimes I find it's not realistic to weigh every food. Just be sure that you eat the right serving and from there you can figure out some numbers. Just remember to be very honest about what you eat and how much you eat.

And finally, you have to believe that you can lose weight. No one else can do it for you other than yourself. Never lose hope. Be very patient. You don't have to rush anything. Someday we will all reach our target weight if we stay committed to our plan.

Good luck to us! Have a nice day ahead.

p/s: FYI, I've lost 45lbs in 2009 but gain everything back in 3 years (shame on me!). Last time, I suffered a lot during my diet days. I exercised extremely hard and I ate (good) foods that I don't like. And when I reached my targeted goal, I relapsed. The first thing that came to my mind when I started dieting again, I said to myself, let's not do it like 2009. We can do it in a more likeable way. And here I am. I'm happy that I choose to do it this way.
  • kn7hqq
    kn7hqq Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    what if you and a friend walked 20 minutes a day in a beautiful park and talked or listened to your favorite music. Its more relaxing than exercise, bt its good for you
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Crystal Meth. I think they sell it at wal-mart.

I prefer crack, thank you.

I hear you can get amphetamines from kids at the local community college.
  • TheKoreanVegan
    TheKoreanVegan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think that you've come to the wrong crowd for this sort of advice... Most of the people here have worked extremely hard for every single solitary pound that they've lost and so words like "miserable" and "hungry" ring pretty hollow from someone who has admitted that s/he doesn't want to make substantial changes, but still wants to lose all this weight in less than "half a year." It would be one thing if you had realistic expectations to go hand in glove with your reluctance to work hard, but the fact that you think there's some sort of "trick" out there that will help you lose 40+ lbs in less than 6 months without exercise evinces a complete failure to educate yourself in the most rudimentary fundamentals of fitness and health. A cursory search on Google would reveal how this is physiologically impossible without bariatric surgery.

Rather than seeking advice on "how to lose weight fast without exercise," seek advice on "how do I motivate myself to exercise even though I hate the **** out of it?" I hate exercise. I absolutely detest movement of any kind. And I love food--particularly bread, pasta, and rice (I'm Asian!). I work at a desk 10-12 hours a day in a hi-stress environment. I bill by the hour, which means that every hour I spend away from work is an hour that I'm losing money. Therefore, my time is super precious for me. These are allllll reasons I HATE HATE HATE exercise, like you! BUT, one thing that has really helped me get motivated and feel like, "Hey, I CAN do this!" is Instagram. I know. So random. But if you search the #transform tag or tags like it, you will see people JUST LIKE YOU who have lost 10, 20, 30, 50, 100+ pounds--and the pictures to prove it. It is unbelievably inspiring to see people of all shapes and sizes slim down and build muscle. I'm 34 years old and I have never before in my life cared a snit about gaining muscle mass, and now, it's all I can think about. 30 days into my new fitness plan, and I can actually see my obliques!! I thought they were tumors!

Point is, I know the beginning was rather harsh, but you CAN lose fat and gain muscle while baby step changes. Like many have suggested, add teensy tiny bits of activity each day. Reassess every single week and add a little more activity, cut back on items (like soda, butter, white sugar, etc.--one at a time). And, seriously, check out that Instagram.

Good luck.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    About eating healthy foods...just switch over gradually...and read labels. I eat a low-sodium diet (for high blood pressure and migraine prevention) and am vegan. 10 years ago, if you told me I would be living like this...I would say "YOU'RE CRAZY!!" But here I am, and I enjoy my food far more than I ever had. It tastes better. I was vegetarian, then my doctor told me to cut the salt. I thought I would not be able to do it...but, just like the American Heart Association says, salt truly is an acquired taste. (WHO KNEW??) And about four days after I started cutting down on the sodium, I no longer craved it. In fact, salty foods now taste bad to me. Then I started gradually going vegan, remembering that my doctor had told me to eat more veggies. I didn't think I would be happy without cheese and eggs, but strangely, I did it, and it doesn't bother me. (I used to be able to eat 1000 calories of cheese without blinking an eye...then go eat something else.) I used to hate veggies. Now that is pretty much most of what I eat. And I love it! As I said, change slowly, and before you know it, you will be eating healthier and feel better (and losing weight). Good luck to you!!
  • EatTrainWin
    EatTrainWin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You say you are desperate to lose weight, but aren't willing to exercise. That doesn't sound desperate to me. That sounds like you want to lose weight but aren't willing to put in the efforts to do so.

What is it you hate about exercise? Perhaps we can figure out a form of exercise that will be enjoyable (or at least not make you miserable). Exercise does not have to be formal, expensive, crazy hard or in a gym to be effective. Shall we explore your options?
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    if you hate exercising just do some walking? walking isn't hard work, you can burn around 250 calories just by walking at a brisk pace for 30mins! a bit of exercise is better than none at all and you will see positive results if you haven't been active much in the past. only YOU can make it happen :smile:

supplements will only contribute to your weight loss if you make 100% effort with your diet.

slow and steady wins the race!

Good luck