thoughts on asparagus?

Options
what does it taste like? what does it go good with? i'd rather save my self £3 if it's not nice :ohwell:

Replies

• nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think of it like a sweeter green bean. I only buy it fresh, so it's not an everyday food because it can get pretty costly. It also makes your urine smell...wierd.

Bend them until the hard part snaps off and disgard. I toss it in garlic powder with some kosher salt and stir fry it in a hot pan that I've sprayed with pam. I preper them on the raw-er side, so I only cook them until they are a nice flush green. So tasty!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    asparagus.gif

It tastes like cucumber. Not very exciting, but easy enough to eat.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is nice! Tastes like creamy green stuff. Eaten in excess it may cause your urine to smell a bit, and it is so yummy it is easy to eat in excess. Price of yours seems excessively high, maybe check your frozen food section first to see if they have a smaller portion in a steam in bag so you can try it. I find that to be every bit as good as fresh. I love a bit of balsamic sprinkled over mine (especially if you roast it on, but of course that is difficult in the steam-in bag)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    How would a description of how they taste really help you, just go buy then and give them a try. Raw, blanched, grilled, sauteed, it really doesn't matter, but what does matter is freshness and size. If they're the pencil thin variety, give them a pass, there on their way out as far as their seasonality is concerned and the taste is pretty much a thing of the past. The thicker the stalk, the better. I only eat fresh asparagus during asparagus season, which is coming up early in the spring and the farm is about 5k from my house. I still have 3 jars of pickled asparagus left after makes 3 dozen last season.....they make a great gift.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love it. :love: Sauteed in walnut oil with a bit of sea salt? OM NOM NOM :love:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Planted some 5 years ago. Can't wait til they come up. I would sauté or roast them but I just stand in the garden and eat them. My mom planted hers between all her rose bushes. Those were the happiest asparagus I ever saw.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    They are very good to be honest but the price is a little high indeed.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They are definitely worth a try! My favorite is grilled asparagus with a touch of butter and garlic. Goes great with steak or chicken!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Makes my pee smell funny...

that being said, it makes a delicious lower-carb accompaniment when cooked wrapped in smoked bacon with some parmesan.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is delicious, and this is coming from someone who hates most vegetables. It makes your pee smell funny though, but not everyone can smell it.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Love them! I toss them on the grill for a few minutes and they are awesome!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    YUMMYYYYY!!

I love it
    Raw, sliced up on pizza, in tarts any way is delish!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    not really the season for it yet, uk import price seems very high. It's at it's best when it is local and in season. Too thin and the stalks will be a little woody (unless they were picked that morning. Too thick and they will need some peeling near the base. The standard we set with our vendors is about the thickness of a finger (Slender man's or a woman's thicker finger, not the finger of a 300 boxer lol) , lightly steamed with butter and a squeeze of lemon is a classic way but they are really versatile (Asparagus soup with the thick stuff)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Grilled aspargus is soooo good!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It's so nice, posh restaurants serve it on its own as a starter. griddled or steamed, with butter or hollandaise sauce and a poached egg and charge you a tenner!

Word of warning though, it's not in season in the UK at the moment so you won't get it at its best. You should be able to get it locally-grown from May.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    heaven
  • LitheVixen
    LitheVixen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus! I clean them, put them in a dish with a little water, put plastic foil over it and pop a few holes in it. Then microwave for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper. Delicious!
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus!! And they are very low in calories so you should defiantly give them a try!
  • gem1gem2gem3
    Options
    Asparagus can be tasty! If you grill it with some extra virgin olive oil and add a sprinkle of black pepper, then either serve with parma ham or with a poached egg on top! LOVELY!!!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is awesome! You should definately give it a try. I usually toss it in some olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper then either bake it or pan fry (depening on how much time I have). YUM!

As for the "it makes my pee smell funny" thing.... Thanks to web MD:
    Depending on which study you read, between 22% and 50% of the population report having pungent pee after eating asparagus. But that doesn't mean only some people's bodies generate that smell. Researchers believe that, during digestion, the vegetable's sulfurous amino acids break down into smelly chemical components in all people. And because those components are "volatile," meaning airborne, the odor wafts upward as the urine leaves the body and can be detected as soon as 15 minutes after you eat this spring delicacy.

But only about one-quarter of the population appears to have the special gene that allows them to smell those compounds. So the issue isn't whether or not your pee is smelly; it's whether you're able to smell it. If you smell a funny fragrance in your urine after you eat asparagus, you're not only normal, you have a good nose.