Have You Ever Had Or Made Sweet Potato Fries?

Options
Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
I am looking for a recipe for them but wondering if you can bake them instead of frying. Also, what do you sprinkle on them Thanks in advance..

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I've made them and love them. Cut the raw sweet potato into "fry" shape, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, toss in a big bowl to coat them all slightly. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake on cookie sheet. You can then serve them with honey as a dipping sauce. (Just watch that you don't go TOO crazy with the oil....or the honey..or you'll undo the calorie loss you get from avoiding deep-friend regular taters.)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    awwwww.

suite pertaterz wit mayoneez
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    awwwww.

suite pertaterz wit mayoneez
    :flowerforyou:
  • dawncolleen0120
    dawncolleen0120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, sweet potato fries are awesome and a snap. Peel (or don't) and cut into sticks or thin slices. Put in a plastic zip lock bag, pour about a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil over them, sprinkle salt and pepper, and shake up the bag. Pour out on to a cookie sheet and bake at about 375 or 400 for 20 minutes. I eat them with a little salt and that's it. They taste WAY better than plain ole white potato fries.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yep, cut them into fries, or wedges or whatever. Mix paprika, cumin, and chilli powder with some olive oil and coat the sweet potatoes. Bake until... well, as crispy as they'll get. They don't get as crispy as white potatoes. Then drizzle with a little honey and dip in mayo (if you are that way inclined... as I am.)
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bake them instead of frying them.

I like to top them with Garam Masala spice for a more interesting taste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You just have to make sure they are dry before you sprinkle them. I always fail at that and end up with mushy fries.
  • alliana07
    alliana07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a really simple recipe I first used at Thanksgiving, that everyone loved. Preheat the oven (or toaster oven, even) to 475F. Cut the potatoes into wedges. Drizzle lightly in olive oil and mix to coat. Then sprinkle with rosemary, lightly salt and pepper. Bake for ten minutes on EACH side (20 mins total), and voila!

tumblr_mx3rfu2vee1r539fdo1_500.jpg
  • TrinaGoss
    TrinaGoss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I also drizzle mine with olive oil, but then I sprinkle them with salt and pepper and bake them in 450 degree oven for about 20 - 25 minutes depending on how thick they are. I don't use any dipping sauce because they are wonderful fresh out of the oven!
  • Mygsds
    Options
    OMG.... I am drooling.. Thanks so much. Going to the kitchen to make a batch.. I had them somewhere and they put cinnamon and sugar on them, but like the ideas here better. :)
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :drooltag:
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    another variation is to slice them, brush with olive oil and bbq. the charring adds to it. no need to skin them first.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've made them several times. We toss the wedges in olive oil and apices. You can do sea salt, chili powder, pepper, etc.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I've made them several times. We toss the wedges in olive oil and apices. You can do sea salt, chili powder, pepper, etc.
    exactly what I do, but add cinnamon, smoked paprika, and cumin.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, I make them in the oven too but I don't seasoned them at all. No salt or spices (cinnamon is not alowed in my house) needed; my husband and I love their natural flavor.

Edited to add that I do drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the wedges.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    I like the microwave them first for 2 or 3 minutes before baking at very high heat. Fan assisted at 200C for about 20 minutes on an oiled baking pan after spraying fries with olive oil.
  • AyeHarper
    Options
    (Serving Size: 5oz. of squash cut into fries, calories: 65, fat: 0g, sodium: 6mg, carbs: 16.5, fiber: 3g, sugars: 3g, protein: 1.5g)

Ingredients:
    1/2 butternut squash
    kosher salt

Directions:
    Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed your butternut squash. If you're unfamiliar with handling these large items, you may have a little trouble at first. They're fairly easy to peel, but you'll need a sharp knife to cut them. Once your orange friend is peeled and sans seeds, slice it in half. Then cut it up into french fry shapes. We like to use a crinkle cutter to make authentic looking crinkle cut fries, but they'll work any way you slice 'em. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover lightly with kosher salt (regular salt works, too, but we prefer kosher salt). Place tray in your pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping halfway through baking process. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and get crispy.

Serve with ketchup, or however else you enjoy fries or sweet potato fries!
  • Nanette117
    Nanette117 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've made them and love them. Cut the raw sweet potato into "fry" shape, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, toss in a big bowl to coat them all slightly. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake on cookie sheet. You can then serve them with honey as a dipping sauce. (Just watch that you don't go TOO crazy with the oil....or the honey..or you'll undo the calorie loss you get from avoiding deep-friend regular taters.)

That's how i make them too. Sometimes I put them on a big bowl with some olive oil and toss them around. A hot oven- 400 degrees or more- for 15-20 minutes really crisps them up. Watch closely though!
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Thanks.. YUM
  • AnyankaSigrun
    Options
    I cut them up and put them on a cookie sheet. I then spray them with olive oil spray lightly and salt them. Then I bake at 350 until done. I do Kale chips the same way but I use a 300 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.