I have an opportunity, and I would like your opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    bheathfit, I hope you are being sincere and if so I appreciate it. I am really trying to help this dude, I do take this pretty serious. Why should he spend the money when I am offering him support for free. That is the idea and spirit behind this site. We are here to really help eachother. Maybe you can help me, maybe I can help you in your journey. I do not understand the LOL! There is nothing funny about helping someone with their dreams and goals.
    What he sad.
  • AbigailWins
    Options
    $130 a month for 3 sessions a week (12 sessions a month)

$10.83 per session

People who think this is expensive work in a job where somebody pays their wages, for a freelancer this is cheap. The only scary part is having to do it for a year?

If you don't think you can stick to this for a year or you think you can do it alone, that's the question for me, not if it is expensive or not. It's not expensive.

You know how vulnerable you are. Ask if you can don one month as a trial for a little bit extra money to see if it's right for you? Would that work?

It's up to you.

My point that I really want to SHOUT is that this is not expensive.

EDIT: that said, I doubt that this is a geniune post, it seems more like a sneaky way to spam, just in case I am wrong I leave my well meant advice and go back to enjoying my Saturday :-)
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi Overgard, have you really already made a decision and just looked here for justification? There are a few ways of looking at this firstly I would not be paying up front, maybe a month in advance if you did go ahead with it. Ultimately it is you that have do the work and be committed, if you genuinely believe that you will commit and this PT can help you focus and get the results you want then just do it. In reality is the $1,560 a real concern you would spend that on a new TV or even some on a laptop or mobile phone they may or may not really use. People spend hours, years in developing their knowledge into fitness if you believe this guy has information and keeps on the forefront of knowledge is willing to mentor and share these with you and you are inspired to learn and apply then just go for it otherwise if he seems interested in "show me the money" then I would walk away.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You can reach the same goals by doing research and building a good, supportive friend-list here on MFP. You can do that for free.
    OR you can pay this dude to help you.
    Up to you.
    Either way, you have to be accountable for what you eat and your exercise.
    I'm tight, though, so I would choose the free option every time.
  • CitizenMichael
    CitizenMichael Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't normally look in the weight gaining section as I'm shredding the lbs however what a great offer and I know I would be taking him up on it had it been offered too me as you only have to look at the guns to see he knows what he is talking about
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is not, in fact, cheap spam, why not counter offer the trainer? Say, same workout terms, three motnhs only, and $150/month. He gets the business and you get a head start with some guidance and some time to develop discipline and cultivate your own, ongoing resources...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the idea of someone feeling they will do better with a trainer (they will). I don't mind the idea of someone training for a year (that's a bit long, but it works for many). What I do mind is the idea of committing to something you've never tried for an entire year (that's nuts).

What if you hate it on day one? What if your personalities don't click? Being buddies is one thing but a working relationship is an entirely different thing. What if you find out that he doesn't know what he's talking about? Or you move or lose your job? Or get to the point where you're comfortable and prefer to do it on your own? Or your schedules don't mesh.

His pricing is very reasonable but I'd pay a higher rate for a shorter commitment.

Last thing, paying a "buddy" is fine, as his time is valuable, but a buddy forcing you to commit to a year long contract seems ridiculous, IMO
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A hell of a lot of money.
    If you've got tens of thousands lying around, then sure, go for it.
    I haven't so while I wouldn't consider a personal trainer to check form etc a bad thing, I'd prefer to save my money.
    It's all cost versus reward. This "Opportunity" will cost you $1560 per year. Below are additional realistic (IMO) costs for first 12 months:
    Ok, I'm cheating a bit, but my month costs for exercise are:
    About £4 for running with the local running club on their main weekly club runs (social/other runs aren't charged.)

One off costs:
    £230 for Olympic weights (165kg total) with bench and home made power cage.

I have the opposite problem to the OP, so my food costs didn't increase.

So I'd certainly go with the majority - do your research and use sites like MFP to work out a decent plan.

When you haven't been seeing results; were you definitely eating enough calories and getting enough protein?
    I'm afraid that 98% of the people that "have a fast metabolism" in reality just don't eat as much. Even if you metabolism was 300 calories faster (quite a lot in the grand scheme of things), say; that's a medium chocolate bar a day extra. So, to make up for it, all you need to do is to have said chocolate bar and you're back to the level with others.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bheathfit, I hope you are being sincere and if so I appreciate it. I am really trying to help this dude, I do take this pretty serious. Why should he spend the money when I am offering him support for free. That is the idea and spirit behind this site. We are here to really help eachother. Maybe you can help me, maybe I can help you in your journey. I do not understand the LOL! There is nothing funny about helping someone with their dreams and goals.

I was being sincere. I had someone help me out once when I first started and I would never have continued without that assistance. They didn't hold my hand or anything, but just having someone to ask questions to and get advice from is PRICELESS!! the fact that you are willing to do it at no cost to him is why I responded so directly. The LOL was due to the "That is all..." statement I had at the end. Meaning I am off my soap box and done giving advice. It is up to the OP to take it.

Sometimes meanings and nuances are lost in the written word. I think it is Great that you are willing to help him and it will likely change the course of his health, fitness and possibly other things in his life from this point on. That is also why I told him to be ready to go to work! :smile:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You can reach the same goals by doing research and building a good, supportive friend-list here on MFP. You can do that for free.
    OR you can pay this dude to help you.
    Up to you.
    Either way, you have to be accountable for what you eat and your exercise.
    I'm tight, though, so I would choose the free option every time.
    QFT^ Also committing to a one year contract, you may find down the track this trainer to be abrasive, a bad fit, bro-science etc.

Honestly try these links...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Join this group...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read these posts...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

eg...

Weight Lifting

Weight Lifting - Form /Technique

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/852401-proper-form-and-technique-sources

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018359-do-you-cave-in-when-you-squat

Strength Training - the basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

Barbell routines - when you only have dumbbells

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Get your hands on books like Starting strength, new rules of lifting etc

Subscribe to some reputable YouTube channels Such as Dave Tate, Mark Rippetoe etc

Check out these links...

www.alanaragon.com
    www.weightology.net
    www.bodyrecomposition.com
    www.body-improvements.com

I would join a gym and get enough personal training sessions to correct your form you most probably do not need a year of supervision if you film your lifts and have them critiqued on this link...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911984-form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here

If you have the desire and consistency combined with common sense and education I think the program you are considering is over kill and pricey, but it is your decision and you maybe one who thrives in a program such as the one you described but my opinion not necessary.

good luck OP
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, we are here to support and encourage eachother and really offer assistance. I wish you the best my friend and I really suck at spelling.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hey Dude,
    Here are my thoughts as a fitness pal. Trainers are great, I have been training for many years off and on. When I began I battled with gaining aswell. I do not claim to know everything, do not trust anyone who tells you they do. I still use a trainer to this day. However, my trainer is an IFBB pro, 40 years experience, charges 50 per 1/2 hour. Why do I pay him ? Because I know that true masters of any art will know that there is always something more to learn. I will make a commitment to you for free to help you out. Send me a friend request or a message and we can chat about your options and goals. I am not trying to sell you anything, I do not want anything from you. There are some secrets that I do know which I will not devulge out in the open here. BTW, you trainer friend is NESTA certified. NESTA has changed hands and names and is an online program with no real in the field training. I am very intimate with that outfit and can tell you that it is more of a certification mill than a stand up association. that does not mean your boy does not have the goods, but I am offering you an opportunity for free. Hit me up and lets talk.

^This is a good opportunity, IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide is right for you.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Hey Dude,
    Here are my thoughts as a fitness pal. Trainers are great, I have been training for many years off and on. When I began I battled with gaining aswell. I do not claim to know everything, do not trust anyone who tells you they do. I still use a trainer to this day. However, my trainer is an IFBB pro, 40 years experience, charges 50 per 1/2 hour. Why do I pay him ? Because I know that true masters of any art will know that there is always something more to learn. I will make a commitment to you for free to help you out. Send me a friend request or a message and we can chat about your options and goals. I am not trying to sell you anything, I do not want anything from you. There are some secrets that I do know which I will not devulge out in the open here. BTW, you trainer friend is NESTA certified. NESTA has changed hands and names and is an online program with no real in the field training. I am very intimate with that outfit and can tell you that it is more of a certification mill than a stand up association. that does not mean your boy does not have the goods, but I am offering you an opportunity for free. Hit me up and lets talk.

^This is a good opportunity, IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide is right for you.
    +1
    I still stick by my last reply but this guy seems pretty stand up for offering free support and tutelage with no strings attached ergo not the right fit no loss...for either party.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Hey Dude,
    This one high lighted statement has me both intrigued and concerned...as if this is about fitness and nutrition why hide this secret? do you have magic beans? I don't mean to sound well snarky but it is an odd comment to say at the very least.