My athleticism is screwing up my weight loss goals!

Options

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's not starving myself, after a meal I'm not hungry and chewing on my arm waiting for my next meal. I eat nuts and good fats and plenty of protein. I just know it's not enough according to MFP and all the other things I've checked.

It is starving yourself if you find yourself weak and unable to compete in the rink! Didn't you mention in your original post that when you were carb cutting you couldn't focus and your endurance sucked? It's because you're not fueling yourself properly. Also you didn't mention how long it had been since you had reintroduced carbs.

Hey, I've been in your shoes. Restricting myself to the point where I was eating once or twice a day. AND I had EVERY justification in the book. The fact is - it's not healthy.

Like I said before, once you start eating at normal levels you will see an uptick on the scale. That is only temporary. You have to give your body a hot minute to adjust and realize that you're not depriving it any longer.

Again, eat MORE.

Stop demonizing carbs.

Oh, and stop expecting overnight results. You stated you dropped 25 lbs in 2 months, that's a little over 3 lbs a week. Those crash diets where you lose 50 lbs in three months....you may lose the weight but it's all gonna come back...and probably with a few extra pounds to boot.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    i don't understand how a bowl of cereal, salad, and a 500 calorie dinner dont' even tally up to 1000 cals. my bowls of cereal are GINORMOUS! yes, yes, maybe *that's* why i'm not losing weight; )

I refuse to give up my bowls of cereal! I trrrryyyy to limit it to my Sat nite Netflix binge session, but ya know...win some, lose some!
  • _hillary_
    _hillary_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you lost 25 pounds in 2 months and are only eating 900 calories a day, you are starving yourself. If you don't think that is starving yourself, then I hope you get some counseling! I agree with the previous posters who think that if you're no longer losing weight it's because your body is desperately holding onto everything it can. It's okay to feel hungry, it's okay to eat. It doesn't make you less badass or less of an athlete.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Skating isn't what is having a negative effect on your body (I skate - every week - 4 hours on Sunday!) the weight of the skates is strength training (don't let anyone tell you different - those skates are heavy) and it is toning up your legs and butt (I've noticed it too since I got back in the rink) but the lack of food is what is having the negative effect .......

I am at 1230 calories on MFP (I sit at a desk all week) and eat back my exercise calories - I also go over some days and don't sweat it - and I'm still losing about a pound a week. (and people here tell me that I don't eat enough) (I'm also really short and need to lose about 25# or more) There is NO WAY 900 calories for someone as active as you can be good. I eat when I skate - and on Sundays sometimes that food isn't even good for me (grab a hot dog or nachos at the rink) and I still lose.

Up the calories and watch your macros - drink LOTS of water and you should start seeing a change
  • Jurow
    Jurow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    if youre looking at being athletic think about carbs more positively, you need the fuel especially for something as physical as roller derby. i used to think less is better calories wise it because of what written in mags etc. you'll need to train your mind set away from needing to eat less and more towards an athletic mind set which is pretty much opposite to what is written in most thing you may read. just reading training articles for sports maybe look for a roller derby blog im guessing there stuff like that about just to change the way you think.

from experiance of thai boxing and having a pretty physical job going with out carbs and a decent amount of food just ended badly.

also dont think about fat as being a weight and aim towards a body fat percentage?? i know i've been at my leanest when ive been eating around about 3000 cals a day and thats because i had the carbs to fuel it and the protein to rebuild it.

if you need to boost your number just look online theres plenty of healthy foods which you can throw in a smoothie that'll boost your cals up.

hope this has help in any way
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bake up some potatoes or sweet potatoes. Nomnomnom skating fuel.
  • vidguyit
    Options
    inb4 OP is 5'1
  • scruffie777
    scruffie777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like extreme case of Metabolic Adaptation, checkout Dr Layne Norton videos on Metabolic Adaptation. http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-16-metabolic-damage-v3-0-damage-control-a-mechanistic-discussion-of-metabolic-adaptation/
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The advice you've been given is good advice. You really need to eat more before you get even more problems than you have already. I ended up in a right state after months of eating very low calorie. I couldn't focus or concentrate, I couldn't do anything because just moving was exhausting and I struggled to breathe, I was dizzy, blacking out and falling asleep all the time. My hair started to lose its colour and I felt awful constantly. My weight also hit a plateau. Once I started eating more(which was horrendously hard btw), I started to feel better and had more energy. The weight also started to drop off fast and I've found that I should be eating double what I was eating back then. Life is good again :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Athletic performance is dependent on energy availability.

1) You rapidly lost 25 lbs in 2 months.
    2) Athletic performance greatly diminished during semi-starvation.
    3) Athletic performance improved during an increase in calories.

These symptoms are consistent with malnutrition during competition. I hope you do not intend to restrict to such degree again for your own sake.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you're afraid of bread. Eat beans, bread, and treat yourself once in awhile. Eat some fruit.

Honestly, if you're skating three hours straight and only eating 1200-1500 calories, you're probably netting really low and that isn't healthy.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. Eat more protein. You are already doing what sounds like a lot of cardio...so include strength training. That's about all I can tell you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    double post...woah they changed the ticker
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    roller derby girl should be eating hunks of rare meat so she has the blood lust to cream her opponents into dust that's how the Mongolians did it
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    All this.

You skate hard. You need food.

Your body needs fuel to eat.

As an anecdotal...
    I typically eat 1970 calories. On days when I work out heavy, I have been known to polish off >3000 calories.
    I am always hungry and am always snacking on relatively healthy foods.

A short time ago, some things happened that threw me into a depression and I stopped eating for a day. I had maybe 600 calories that day. I didn't feel hungry. For almost a week I didn't "FEEL" hungry. I knew I should eat more, I knew my body needed more, but I didn't WANT more.

Because my mind (and my friends) knew better than my feelings, I was encouraged to eat more and work my way back up to a healthy amount.

After the week passed, I started finding my hunger again.

WHEN YOUR BODY IS STARVING, it gets messed up and you can no longer trust it to tell you if you are hungry.
    Start making a choice to eat healthier and more. Stop watching the scale like a hawk.
    Stay active.
    Measure your food.

BUT BY ALL THAT IS HOLY... START EATING MORE.
    PLEASE.

ETA: thank you again, dear friends and loved ones for watching out for me :heart:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yo, folks, before replying, please note that the OP said that she had: (1) lost a bunch of weight [probably too fast - my editorializing] with paleo and intermittent fasting, (2) started roller derby and felt weak and underpowered, and then (3) started eating a lot more and got stronger and better at roller derby, and was losing inches and getting more muscular, but wasn't losing weight like she wanted, even though she was logging a low number of calories [almost certainly due to underreporting - my editorializing].

Answers that criticize her for #1 and #2 without noticing #3 are probably not very useful to her. Please read the entire post before responding.

To the OP: I'm watching the women's speed skating competition on NBC right now. I'd say that if you can become more fit and take off inches while doing a sport that you love, you should prioritize that, and not worry about weight. Now, I am living proof that you can gain fat while exercising a lot (bicycled 2500 miles in 2012 and gained 10 lb., mostly fat), but if your measurements are getting smaller and you're getting stronger and faster, you're doing things right. Carry on, take photos every 6-8 weeks, and worry about calories only if the measurements and photos show that you're not going in the direction you want.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Yo, folks, before replying, please note that the OP said that she had: (1) lost a bunch of weight [probably too fast - my editorializing] with paleo and intermittent fasting, (2) started roller derby and felt weak and underpowered, and then (3) started eating a lot more and got stronger and better at roller derby, and was losing inches and getting more muscular, but wasn't losing weight like she wanted, even though she was logging a low number of calories [almost certainly due to underreporting - my editorializing].

Answers that criticize her for #1 and #2 without noticing #3 are probably not very useful to her. Please read the entire post before responding.

To the OP: I'm watching the women's speed skating competition on NBC right now. I'd say that if you can become more fit and take off inches while doing a sport that you love, you should prioritize that, and not worry about weight. Now, I am living proof that you can gain fat while exercising a lot (bicycled 2500 miles in 2012 and gained 10 lb., mostly fat), but if your measurements are getting smaller and you're getting stronger and faster, you're doing things right. Carry on, take photos every 6-8 weeks, and worry about calories only if the measurements and photos show that you're not going in the direction you want.

So you read her entire post, including the part where she says
    I should also disclose that I am pretty terrible at eating and making my calorie goals. My usual calorie intake is maybe 900 calories on a good day- I have a hard time balancing healthy foods and the quantities required to make 1200-1500 calories. A bowl of cereal, a salad for lunch, and dinner is usually in the 500 cal range. It's bad. Any suggestions?

and decided to dismiss that by saying oh she is just not logging properly... OP carry on you're doing great

and yet you call people down who recommend that she should eat more? Funny... We responded to her direct statement with concern for her well being.

You chose to intentionally mis read her comment and support her in her potentially dangerous eating habits.

wow.

beautiful editorializing.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've always been involved with sports, but roller derby definitely does some fun things to the body.

Nutrition is /very/ important, especially when your body takes such a beating. Otherwise, you'll find yourself experiencing a lot more injuries.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I don't know any athlete who eats 900 calories a day. I'm competing in powerlifting and make it a point to eat at LEAST 2000 calories a day. I train for 2.5-3 hours each session at least, 4-5 days a week. Most athletes eat a crapton of food. My fiancé was eating 6000 calories when he was training for powerlifting world championships.

You need way more calories. You certainly won't be building any muscles on 900 calories, guaranteed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    inb4 OP is 5'1

how would that matter? I'm 5'2", older than the OP, eat a LOT more, and I'm still losing.