Yogurt- Yuck!

Options
So I have read several different articles about how you should eat yogurt everyday. Well honestly I can't stand the smell nor the taste of yogurt. So does anyone know what can take it's place? Or maybe one of the new flavored yogurts that are out that don't taste like original yogurt?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I could eat yogurt every day or anything else for that matter. I do like yogurt in smoothies, and recently found a gravy recipe that used broth and plain yogurt. It was fantastic. Check out that book, now eat this by Rocco someone. Maybe if you'd really like to try and eat it every day then hide it in something else. :) Otherwise try 3 days a week.
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I personally love the Dannon Lite & Fit Carb and Sugar Control -Diabetic Friendly yogurt. 45 calories, 3 carbs, 5 protein per serving. The vanilla is my favorite flavor.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i like the light and fit by dannon, the vanilla and banana cream pies are good
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You can try greek yogurt - it's much closer in line with sour cream - it's thicker and the taste is a little different. Icelandic yogurt, called skyr, is even more creamy/thicker than regular yogurt (I LOOOOVE IT!). Rather than eat it plain, you can put it on crackers or bread or even as a replacement for mayo in wraps and on sandwiches. We sometimes turn it into dip for fruit, veggies or chips by adding seasonings (usually the packets of dip seasoning... but I made my own one time with garlic and cilantro). If you like it sweeter, add some honey or agave syrup. I like eating it plain with a little honey and cinnamon added in.

Also, you can try making fruit smoothies with fruit, a little bit of milk and a little bit of yogurt (plus whatever else you like) - you're not as likely to be bothered by the yogurt since it's overpowered by the fruit flavor.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Why do you have to eat yoghurt everyday? Because of the probiotic stuff and healthy bacteria?
    Well, it's a load of cods wallop!
    Your gut should be healthy anyways. No need to add a whole load of flora into your gut
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You could try kefir, especially if it is the texture of yogurt that gets to you. Kefir has the probiotic stuff in a drink form. It IS a little tart like yogurt. Lifeway kefir has a higher protein content than most, and (IIRC) a lower sugar load.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Why do you have to eat yoghurt everyday? Because of the probiotic stuff and healthy bacteria?
    Your gut should be healthy anyways. No need to add a whole load of flora into your gut

Actually I've noticed a HUGE difference in the workings of my digestive system when I regularly take probiotics. (Helps keep me much more regular - even though I was eating plenty of fiber and water and eating healthy before...) I take liquid probiotics directly, rather than yogurt with probiotics mixed in. But either way - it's not a "load of wallop" maybe it helps some people more than others, but it CAN make a big difference.
  • sandeepnair
    Options
    IKEA's fat free frozen yogurt is nothing like yogurt & tastes AWESOME! Is that really yogurt?
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Everyone's tastes are different. i don't care for especially sweet foods now and i agree with Trenton's post--those are great for use in cooking. I don't eat it outright; i use mine as a cooking ingredient and blend it...
  • tititran
    Options
    Try sprinkle granola and yogurt. It taste nutty, sweet, crunchy at the same time. Also try to combine yogurt in smoothies, sauces for a tangy kick, sprinkle it with cinnamon for health benefits. Also have you ever try cottage cheese ? It is also a good source of protein and you can do so much with it. Eat cottage cheese hot or cold and add things into it, the combinations are plenty.
  • erica_turner88
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I am going to try to sneak it in stuff, 2-3 times a week :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary to eat yogurt daily. I do enjoy yogurt now. I eat Yoplait light and MANY different flavors. It's a 100-110 calories per 6 ounce servings. Geesh, I'm starting to know my calories off the top of my head.
  • erica_turner88
    Options
    Where do you get liquid probiotics?

quote "Actually I've noticed a HUGE difference in the workings of my digestive system when I regularly take probiotics. (Helps keep me much more regular - even though I was eating plenty of fiber and water and eating healthy before...) I take liquid probiotics directly, rather than yogurt with probiotics mixed in. But either way - it's not a "load of wallop" maybe it helps some people more than others, but it CAN make a big difference.
    [/quote"
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    It only makes a difference if you have a bad digestive system. It's the whole marketing thing. They tell you it's good for you, but in fact your natural flora should be healthy enough to sustain you.
    Your body creates all the bacteria it needs for a healthy digestive system.
  • edorice
    Options

Um, OK. For some of us that have gone through life, have had kids, and have had their organs pushed around from child birth I can tell you that having a little help for the colon goes a long way.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options

Um, OK. For some of us that have gone through life, have had kids, and have had their organs pushed around from child birth I can tell you that having a little help for the colon goes a long way.

Not aiming at people who actually need the extra boost ;) mostly meaning, most products advertise it to boost sales =\ and most people fall for it. It's like yoghurt only contains one kinda of probiotic such as Lactobacillus...but you're only inputing one! There's many others that aid in healthy digestion
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options

Not aiming at people who actually need the extra boost ;) mostly meaning, most products advertise it to boost sales =\ and most people fall for it. It's like yoghurt only contains one kinda of probiotic such as Lactobacillus...but you're only inputing one! There's many others that aid in healthy digestion
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Where do you get liquid probiotics?

quote "Actually I've noticed a HUGE difference in the workings of my digestive system when I regularly take probiotics. (Helps keep me much more regular - even though I was eating plenty of fiber and water and eating healthy before...) I take liquid probiotics directly, rather than yogurt with probiotics mixed in. But either way - it's not a "load of wallop" maybe it helps some people more than others, but it CAN make a big difference.
    [/quote"

This is what I buy: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&q=american+liquid++probiotics&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6048056393876239855&ei=hDT4TO_6JpG8sQP426GdAw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAw#

I found it at our local healthy grocery store ("Sprouts") - you can probably find it at any organic/whole food store, not sure if regular grocery stores sell it.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It only makes a difference if you have a bad digestive system. It's the whole marketing thing. They tell you it's good for you, but in fact your natural flora should be healthy enough to sustain you.
    Your body creates all the bacteria it needs for a healthy digestive system.

It is also very useful if you have recently taken antibiotics, or if you have recently had food poisoning/diarrhea.

Sometimes when they tell you it is good for you, it is!
  • edorice
    Options
    Thanks for that info, we have a Sprouts out here.