'selfish' for losing weight

Options

Replies

• alienette
    alienette Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The main reason i want to loose weight? The same reason most women (including myself) wear mascara: to look cute, nice attractive, better or whatever other vain reason. If loosing weight makes you feel better and healthier, go for it!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Que? I don't get it?...

Do we need a "tragic sob story" is there now an X Factor element to losing weight? Is Simon Cowell going to come to my house, & poke my belly?

I've over eaten/under exercised. I got fat - I now want to rectify this... Everyone else can go eff themselves if they don't like it. However, I don't really mention it to anyone aside from MFP friends list. Sooo, end of story really.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    That's my main reason for losing weight. Yeah its great for the health benefits and all that, but lets face it, I look frikkin awesome in clothes and I don't care how selfish that is!! You do what you want!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    vain and selfishess person here too. I wanted to lose weight to look better in clothes. I want a bigger selection of choice when I shop. The thing is though through this journey comes alot of benefits that are neither vain or selfish. you start to make better choices and you get fitter and stronger with exercise.

Dont mind them and good luck on your journey. x
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.gif
  • affie12345
    Options
    In this case "selfish" is a good thing...selfish on my friend!!!:bigsmile:
  • amberlilyuk
    Options
    How can wanting to improve yourself and be healthy be selfish. You carry on with what you are doing, you are doing well. The people who are saying that are just jealous that you are able to do it. They are being selfish in trying to discourage you. Keep up the good work.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Your mistake was not to want to lose weight, nor was it to assume that's there was something wrong with being wain.

What you did wrong was to assume nobody would criticize you for it and, when somebody inevitably did, you took the opinions of the critics serious.

They are jealous of your resolve and envy you.

Something similar came up recently on another forum I frequent. The best reply was a game of thrones quote: the lion does not concern itself with the opinion of sheep.
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    Whoever is telling you that you are selfish is being very selfish themselves, losing weight is a very personal thing and we all have our own reasons! Go ahead, lose the weight, we are all here to support each other & unless that will make you dangerously underweight I can't see any issues! Healthy is good! :D
  • briannanoelg
    Options
    Well... yeah. It's selfish, that's the point. Why would you lose weight for someone else?
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for the most part isn't a selfish thing. It's called "being healthy." And I think people who say you're selfish are just jealous. I know my family has always been very unsupportive of me - fat or skinny. If I'm fat, they tell me and talk smack behind my back. If I'm skinny, then they talk smack and say I should stop and I don't need to lose weight and eat more cupcakes.

Don't listen to anyone but yourself. It's YOUR body. YOUR decision
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    If wanting to lose weight is "selfish" - then I'm selfish and I'm okay with that.

As I typed this, a Nutrisystem commercial came on - one woman lost 60+ pounds just so she could wear "a little black dress."

Bottom line - whatever gets you motivated. Dump the "Negative Nellies" and find some friends that will offer encouragement instead of discouragement.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Translation - I'm selfish and insecure so I'm going to accuse/shame you of being selfish because I don't want to just say, please don't get way hotter than me... Waaaah.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Well... yeah. It's selfish, that's the point. Why would you lose weight for someone else?

This. Trying to lose weight for some other people failed me. When I found my own reasons it makes things so much easier.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    How dare you have your own thoughts, feelings, and motivations! Shame on you!
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • coleyj95
    coleyj95 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My reaon for weight loss is so that when my man comes home from the service he has a cute little wifey to come home to. I want to be at the same weight I was when he met me 3 years ago. That all goes right back to the same thing as you. I want to look better for him which ultimately involves me looking better in clothes! Keep going don't let anyone stop you!
  • hammersoaps
    Options
    I have a friend who is really buff and fit. Apparently, he wasn't always so. I didn't even recognize that the old picture I saw was of him. I asked him what was his motivation, what made him change? He looked at me straight in the face and said, "*****". After being a bit shocked by his bluntness, I just laughed really hard. Hey man, it seems to have worked.

We've all got our reasons! I think all that matters is that they work.

Edit: MFP filter blocked out the word. Think slang that starts with "p" and is another word for "kitty".
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If being "Hot" is your motivation then USE IT! It is not selfish, it is what works for you.

ETA...I think I may have misunderstood. If others are saying "losing weight for the sole purpose of looking good is selfish" then they are stupid. If others are saying "losing weight is selfish" then they are severely co-dependant and need to get a little more selfish themselves.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you're selfish, so am I! My husband is already going to play "Hot For Teacher" when we leave campus after I graduate next year. I want to BE that "Hot Teacher". I don't want to have a butt that jiggles forever while I write on the whiteboard! And cute clothes!? What girl DOESN'T want that!? Health is also a concern, as well, but overall, I want to feel and look good. That's not selfish. It's human. :)
  • leaner426
    Options
    They say "vain and selfish" you say "self-esteem." My life would have been a whole lot better if I'd been a lot more vain and selfish (i.e. had a lot more self esteem.) The reasons don't change the results. Go for it.