'selfish' for losing weight

Options

Replies

• pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've been told that my reasons for losing weight are vain and selfish. Like, does it really matter what my motivation is if it's working? If I want to lose 85 pounds for the sole purpose of wearing cute clothes, who cares?! How is that any of your business? I'm sorry I don't have a sob story for you, but I don't actually need a tragic backstory in order to justify myself.

They are just jealous that you have a goal and motivation to go for your goals! I found that sometimes those closest to you (friends and family) actually are the most toxic to your goals because they wish they had the success that you do. It's best to ignore their comments and use your drive and motivation to push forward. "Get rid" of those who want you to fail or are negative and surround yourself with positive, motivational people and you will achieve! You go girl!
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You have every right to be "selfish" when it comes to losing weight! It's your body and you are going to have to live in it for the rest of your life... And that being said I think we all would prefer to look better, be fitter, and frankly reap the benefits of that and in doing so likely live longer! Furthermore, to lose the weight and keep it off, you need to be motivated, so if looking better in clothes or being smaller etc motivates you, then who's to say that's wrong. Ignore the people that give you a hard time about it, they lack the motivation that you have. No one said your motivation has to be that of a saint. :)
  • Dreamingallday
    Options
    I've heard that one before! I dated a guy who said that I was selfish to want to lose weight because I would start to think myself a better person than him and cheat on him. He was about 350 pounds and I was 275 at the time. I had to end that relationship because I was not being guilted in to staying unhealthy to be in a unhealthy relationship.

This may sound nasty of me, but the couple hundred pounds of negative people are easier to drop than 10 pounds off your own body. It will be the easiest weight one can lose :D
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's selfish. It doesn't affect anyone but you, what's the big deal? I want to wear things I WANT to wear, not just what I can fit into. I think we all do. And I think it fuels us all in some way.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    haters-gonna-hate.gif

Love it.
  • CherSharon
    Options
    Don't listen to negative people. ...you do what's right for you.
  • fitandGLAM
    Options
    Whatever it may be, if it motivates you to feel/look healthy, then go for it ! I first starting doing insanity for a reason I don't care to admit to, but it worked!! Lol just do you!
  • NoMoreStretchyPants
    Options
    Number 1 reason I am losing weight: To look hot as fluck naked and rock the teeniest bikini at the beach with my son on my hip.

Am I vain for admitting it? Absolutely. So? Who cares what the reasons are? If the reason is sufficient for you, that's all that matters.

High five sister.

OP - the people who want you to stay unhealthy and unfit are the selfish ones. True friends will motivate and encourage you and will want you to better yourself.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    If being "Hot" is your motivation then USE IT! It is not selfish, it is what works for you.

ETA...I think I may have misunderstood. If others are saying "losing weight for the sole purpose of looking good is selfish" then they are stupid. If others are saying "losing weight is selfish" then they are severely co-dependant and need to get a little more selfish themselves.

This!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Um no not selfish - most of us who are losing weight want to wear "cuter" clothes or fit into the ones we already have :ohwell:

It's a motivator - my thought process "If I eat healthy and exercise I will look great in my outfit and I won't have to wear a blazer to hide the muffin top" :bigsmile:

Shame on all of us for wanting to look and feel better about ourselves! :embarassed:
  • plugers
    plugers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My motivation is half vanity and half health. Noticed I'd been a lazy douche lately and got tired more easily, also would like a 6 pack again as it's been over ten years since last time. If anyone has a problem with it, they can choke on a c|ock.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My motivation is half vanity and half health. Noticed I'd been a lazy douche lately and got tired more easily, also would like a 6 pack again as it's been over ten years since last time. If anyone has a problem with it, they can choke on a c|ock.

:noway:
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Whatever your motivation is, it's your own. As long as it's getting you off the couch, watching the diet, and doing your thing, then you're right: It's none of their business. Stay true to yourself and reap the benefits!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    your reasons for losing weight are none of anyone else's business.... don't feel you have to give them a reason at all...
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    I've been told that my reasons for losing weight are vain and selfish. Like, does it really matter what my motivation is if it's working? If I want to lose 85 pounds for the sole purpose of wearing cute clothes, who cares?! How is that any of your business? I'm sorry I don't have a sob story for you, but I don't actually need a tragic backstory in order to justify myself.

So what if it's selfish. Sometimes you have to think about yourself, take care of yourself and love yourself. You are doing something for you, don't give up on yourself.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Anyone who tells you this is just revealing they way they rationalize their way out of self improvement.

Tell them that refusing to improve for fear of appearing vain would itself be a sign of incredible vanity.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    No, not selfish. I think it must be a fantastic motivator. i have a pair of jeans I am using as a 'mini goal' I want to fir in to them, nad I'd like to get my body fat down to improve my stomach and be able to wear cut off tops!

If people have more 'noble' goals good for them.
    what nmatters most is that you have something that kkeeps you going whrn theat tub of icecream a the supermarket is calling to you!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Be selfish. It's your body and your life. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

QFT
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The question I have to ask is, if having a healthier lifestyle didn't change the way you look (in other words, you would still look fat regardless), how many people would do it? My guess is not many. Sure, there's the whole "I want to live longer, etc etc" but deep down we're physical beings. We all just want to look good while nekkid.