Sweet potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I take about 4 large ones and peel and boil them. Then mash them. The problem is that people always want to add this or that to make it "good". You then put them in 2 or 4 plastic containers and you can have them with your protein source. Eat foods with 1 ingredient. trust me you will really feel and see the benefits.

Only loads of black pepper! Love it - it just offsets the sweetness, and it reminds me of clapshot which my mother used to make - potato and swede mashed together with lots of pepper.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Sweet potato wedges are fantastic, tossed in some spices - I'm still experimenting because the first time I cooked them, some came out crunchy, the next time, they came out like charcoal! I get a tiny drizzle of oil and toss the wedges around in it, then in the oven at 200°C for 30 - 40 mins depending on the thickness of the wedges. Mix a teaspoon of paprika with half a teaspoon of hot chilli powder, chuck in some salt to taste if you want, stir it up, and toss over your wedges!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask this, my son and I are having sweet potato fries tonight. I cut unpeeled, or peeled if you want, sweet potatoes into fry shapes and either fry them with some non-stick cooking spray or broil them until they are soft on the inside and browned on the outside. Then salt them or not. My son loves ketchup on his but I just add a little salt substitute.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    They are one of the best foods to eat thanks to being such good nutrient rich vegetable as is. Baked, grilled, or mashed - don't add anything to them as that just packs on unwanted calories.

to each his own, but add ons which make it taste better and add nutrients don't really give unwanted calories. They are wanted for me hehe

Well, quite! And Sweet potatoes are like any other foodstuff - you choose how you want to prepare them to suit your palate - I like a bit of spice or pepper with mine.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas!!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    They are one of the best foods to eat thanks to being such good nutrient rich vegetable as is. Baked, grilled, or mashed - don't add anything to them as that just packs on unwanted calories.

to each his own, but add ons which make it taste better and add nutrients don't really give unwanted calories. They are wanted for me hehe

Hey, if you don't like the already delicious taste of a sweet potato without your "add ons" - I doubt I can cure you. ;-) My family loves them as they are. No need for tricks and treats to make them palatable. The most I ever do is cut them into wedges, toss them in olive oil, put some spices on them and bake them for a nice version of a steak fry.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've a recipe in my profile called Spicy Sweet Potato Burger which is the MFP database. If you like spicy (so f'ing good) and a little sweet, it's amazing. To be modest.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll paste it w/ingredients & steps on this board.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I currently have some sweet potato turkey chili simmering in my crock pot. Smells and tastes delicious!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just cut them into 2.5 ounce pieces, wrap each piece in aluminum foil, and bake them. Then I toss them all into a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. I eat one piece cold each day at lunch. Because they are only 2.5 ounces, they don't give me a lot of calories, but they sure give me a lot of great taste.

Sweet potatoes are great on their own; they don't need anything added to them.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've a recipe in my profile called Spicy Sweet Potato Burger which is the MFP database. If you like spicy (so f'ing good) and a little sweet, it's amazing. To be modest.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll paste it w/ingredients & steps on this board.

This sounds interesting and awesome...can you post the recipe, pretty please?
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I make this at least twice a week:

Sweet Potato Dal from Happy Herbivore

Ingredients:

1 small sweet potato, skinned
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp garam masala, plus extra
    1 cup vegetable broth, plus extra
    1/2 cup red lentils
    4 cups spinach, or more
    salt, to taste

Directions: Dice sweet potato into small ½-inch cubes, and set aside. Line a medium pot with a thin layer of water and saute onions and garlic for a minute. Add a pinch or two red pepper flakes and continue to cook until all the water has cooked off. Add turmeric, ¼ tsp garam masala and stir to coat. Add 1 cup broth, uncooked lentils, and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to low, cover, and simmer for a few minutes, about 5. Add sweet potatoes, bring to a boil again and reduce to low and simmer, until lentils are fully cooked (they expand and the sauce thickens), about 5 minutes more. Check periodically to see if you need additional broth (I tend to add an extra ½ cup but it can vary). Once lentils are cooked and sweet potatoes are fork tender, taste, adding more garam masala as desired (I like to add another ¼ tsp but some blends are stronger than others). Add spinach, continuing to stir until spinach cooks down and softens. Add salt to taste and serve.

Per Serving (Serves 2): 232 Calories, 0.9g Fat, 42.2g Carbohydrates, 17.7g Fiber, 4.7g Sugar, 15.4g Protein