Bananas? ...Yea or nay?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am interested in other peoples opinion on this one as well. Not sure why they are getting such a bad wrap over other fruits? As someone said they are high in Vit K and I was re-introducing bananas into my diet to boost this Vit. I think "timing" of eating them is probably more of the issue like choosing right food combos eg. Avoiding carbs with coffee. Bananas are a great "pick-me up" the only objectionable thing is not to leave the skins in your office waste basket as they can smell.

I have eaten carbs with my coffee pretty much every day for the past 3 years. The important thing is overall calories/macros, not food combinations (outside of any performance edge one might gain, which would be more individualized).
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that people try and pass off bananas as being unhealthy. My guess is it's probably because they are one of the higher calorie fruits (a medium one will set you back about 100 cals), a probably the 25 or so grams of carbs, due to the common diet trend of 'carbs are the enemy'. But no one food gives you belly fat. Too much of any food causes fat, in general.

..yeah, but didn't you know that bananafats go directly to your tummytum?

...:drinker:

Goddamn! That's where I went wrong. I needed to give up the bananas and stick to my cheeseburgers, then I would have had the flat belly I crave!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have a TON of belly fat and haven't eaten a banana is 30 plus years.....so not sure there is a correlation there....if you like them EAT them!!:flowerforyou:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I think there is some confusion in this thread. The "controversy" was never over the healthiness of bananas (they are great!) Its over eye contact during consumption of the fruit.

This. Always banana to mouth, never mouth to banana...
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bananas are my fav!!!! Don't forget the peanut butter!
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have 6-8 a day, love them! Glycemic load of a banana is only ~12 too, so they arent actually too bad on blood sugar, especially when consumed as part of something else like a smoothie or protein shake.
  • Xenus
    Xenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i think only good things about bananas.

This.
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bananas are one of my sweet treats, as in, when I am craving something sweet, I eat a banana instead of a treat. And bananas are so versatile! They come in their own sturdy wrapper so they are great for lunches, if you freeze really ripe ones they work well in baking as a substitute for oils/eggs, and bananas in smoothies are pure bliss.

Take away my daily banana and there will be trouble :)
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, but I save them for dessert. Frozen as "ice cream", mashed with an egg and sprinkles with chocolate chips for decadent "pancakes" (I have no idea why people hate these so much. I lurve them), or gutted into a boat and stuffed with chocolate chips and microwaved for a minute or so. Yum, yum, yum

I maintain about 20% body fat and have very little on my abs. Bananas are fine. Higher in calories, but fine.
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    mashed with an egg and sprinkles with chocolate chips for decadent "pancakes"

Is that the exact recipe? I'd like to try if you can tell me exactly how to. :flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think there is some confusion in this thread. The "controversy" was never over the healthiness of bananas (they are great!) Its over eye contact during consumption of the fruit.

Totally not a concern if you slice, chop, or pulverize the banana prior to eating. :devil:
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of controversy over bananas and losing weight. I hear some people say you shouldn't eat them if you are trying to cut down on belly fat and others say there is nothing wrong with them.

as far as fruits go they are high on the glycemic scale but they are also loaded with potassium which I think helps with muscle cramps.

I would like to hear what you think of banana's....

Monkeys aren't fat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that people try and pass off bananas as being unhealthy. My guess is it's probably because they are one of the higher calorie fruits (a medium one will set you back about 100 cals), a probably the 25 or so grams of carbs, due to the common diet trend of 'carbs are the enemy'. But no one food gives you belly fat. Too much of any food causes fat, in general.

..yeah, but didn't you know that bananafats go directly to your tummytum?

...:drinker:

Goddamn! That's where I went wrong. I needed to give up the bananas and stick to my cheeseburgers, then I would have had the flat belly I crave!

LOL I love this...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas every day.

See ticker below:
  • The_Iron_Beast
    Options
    Bananas are the one and only cause of obesity.
  • amihastings1
    amihastings1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lol, yes!
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    Bananas are the devil's fruit.

But then again, I'm biased because I'm allergic to them. :devil:
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the devil's fruit.

..that's why they are delicious! lol

I put half of one in my oatmeal and save the other half to have later on a piece of whole wheat toast with dark chocolate almond butter. (lower sugar, fat, and calories than peanut butter and sooo yum!)
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Love bananas and I eat one everyday, sometimes two and I'm still losing weight.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Good portable snack to keep me away from the biscuit tin, but the texture sometimes makes me gag.

Chopping them up, freezing them and then whizzing with chocolate soy or dairy milk is tasty though.