We don't know what constitutes a true paleo diet!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Reasons to avoid paleo:

peanuts, roasted/salted
    peanut butter
    chocolate-covered peanuts
    trail mix
    sugar
    milk
    cheese
    yogurt
    sour cream
    russet potatoes
    wheat bread
    white bread
    Italian bread
    French bread
    croutons
    biscuits
    white rice
    spaghetti
    linguine
    lasagna
    macaroni & cheese
    macaroni salads
    fruit salads made with Cool Chip
    candy/candy bars
    cookies
    cake
    brownies
    cream cheese
    cheesecake
    white chocolate caramel "cappuccino" that magically pours into the cup when you push the button
    muffins
    pancakes
    waffles
    crepes
    whipped cream
    chocolate chips
    seedless watermelon
    maraschino cherries
    Jonathan apples
    red delicious apples
    granny smith apples
    any other hybrid fruit (or veggie)

...and that's just off the top of my head.

I think you missed out peanut butter M&M's!! lol

Meh. Plain M&M's were implied in my mention of trail mix (tee hee). I actually am not a big fan of M&M's by themselves. They are for using in trail mix, cookies, etc. :bigsmile:

I'm disappointed Wendy how can you Not be following a paleo diet and Not be eating peanut butter M&M's do the others know?

Hey, I *do* eat chocolate-covered peanuts - same thing, just no candy shell.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Legumes and all dairy are what I just laugh at with this dietary concept and have the most problem with. Those are excellent foods for the unsensitive majority.

Also the air of superiority that first came from its followers still lingers in my consciousness (even if the now vocal majority makes fun of it here).

For the vast majority that don't have allergy/ sensitivity issues with foods I think it is uncessarily restrictive and ascinine in it's rationale. Non sensitive individuals can eat all that is good about the diet without having to jump thru proverbial hoops to get the nutrition that you avoid by excluding certain foods. One can eat a whole food diet without eliminating food groups.

I do applaud the folks who "need" this diet to make themselves eat a majority of their diet as whole foods. If you need a slice of self righteousness with your motivation, then good for you for finding something that works for you.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    any paleo diet adherent that owns a refrigerator is a fraud.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Reasons to avoid paleo:

peanuts, roasted/salted
    peanut butter
    chocolate-covered peanuts
    trail mix
    sugar
    milk
    cheese
    yogurt
    sour cream
    russet potatoes
    wheat bread
    white bread
    Italian bread
    French bread
    croutons
    biscuits
    white rice
    spaghetti
    linguine
    lasagna
    macaroni & cheese
    macaroni salads
    fruit salads made with Cool Chip
    candy/candy bars
    cookies
    cake
    brownies
    cream cheese
    cheesecake
    white chocolate caramel "cappuccino" that magically pours into the cup when you push the button
    muffins
    pancakes
    waffles
    crepes
    whipped cream
    chocolate chips
    seedless watermelon
    maraschino cherries
    Jonathan apples
    red delicious apples
    granny smith apples
    any other hybrid fruit (or veggie)

...and that's just off the top of my head.

I think you missed out peanut butter M&M's!! lol

Meh. Plain M&M's were implied in my mention of trail mix (tee hee). I actually am not a big fan of M&M's by themselves. They are for using in trail mix, cookies, etc. :bigsmile:

I'm disappointed Wendy how can you Not be following a paleo diet and Not be eating peanut butter M&M's do the others know?

I don't want to appear contentious (lol) but they are not the same thing - I could never get addicted to chocolate covered peanuts - where as peanut butter M&M's - shweet.

Their not readily available in the UK if they were I would be on the Peanut butter M&M's diet.:smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't want to appear contentious (lol) but they are not the same thing - I could never get addicted to chocolate covered peanuts - where as peanut butter M&M's - shweet.

Their not readily available in the UK if they were I would be on the Peanut butter M&M's diet.:smile:

Hey, no, feel free. You are absolutely right. I once walked up and down the candy aisle of a convenience store, not finding Goobers. The clerk advised me that they had peanut M&M's, and I'm like, no, that's not the same thing. I left and found some at a different store up the street.

goobers.gif
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Legumes and all dairy are what I just laugh at with this dietary concept and have the most problem with. Those are excellent foods for the unsensitive majority.

Also the air of superiority that first came from its followers still lingers in my consciousness (even if the now vocal majority makes fun of it here).

For the vast majority that don't have allergy/ sensitivity issues with foods I think it is uncessarily restrictive and ascinine in it's rationale. Non sensitive individuals can eat all that is good about the diet without having to jump thru proverbial hoops to get the nutrition that you avoid by excluding certain foods. One can eat a whole food diet without eliminating food groups.

I do applaud the folks who "need" this diet to make themselves eat a majority of their diet as whole foods. If you need a slice of self righteousness with your motivation, then good for you for finding something that works for you.

Where is this paleo self-righteousness? Are you talking about in life in general or on this site?

I ask because I'm quite new to the site (back after several years hiatus), and I just haven't seen any of this paleo self-righteousness, though I have seen a lot of what appears to me as needless paleo bashing from the non-paleo bunch. It just has me scratching my head for the most part.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    any paleo diet adherent that owns a refrigerator is a fraud.

:drinker:
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Any "paleo dieter" who consumes blueberries, tomatoes, potatoes, cashews, brazil nuts, bison, turkey, chocolate, sunflower seeds, avocados is also a fraud! No paleolithic person had access to these delicious New World crops/foods.

Having spent a lot of time in remote indigenous communities in northern Canada, I see no parallels between the average hunter/gatherer's traditional diet and the modern, urban "paleo's" diet. Lean meat alone will kill you. The fat is where it's at! And the entrails. Of course, to a western palate none of this tastes good.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Any "paleo dieter" who consumes blueberries, tomatoes, potatoes, cashews, brazil nuts, bison, turkey, chocolate, sunflower seeds, avocados is also a fraud! No paleolithic person had access to these delicious New World crops/foods.

Having spent a lot of time in remote indigenous communities in northern Canada, I see no parallels between the average hunter/gatherer's traditional diet and the modern, urban "paleo's" diet. Lean meat alone will kill you. The fat is where it's at! And the entrails. Of course, to a western palate none of this tastes good.

Why do people get so hung up on the label? It's a guiding principle not a black-and-white testimony on to paleolithic ancestors. I've never seen so many people so focused on the literal before coming to this site. It just boggles the mind.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Why do people get so hung up on the label? It's a guiding principle not a black-and-white testimony on to paleolithic ancestors. I've never seen so many people so focused on the literal before coming to this site. It just boggles the mind.

people mock it because it's nonsensical and based entirely on a false premise.

it's no different that the mocking that astrology would get on an astronomy site.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Ouch - Sorry over zealous facepalm!!!!!

Is anybody actually reading the article I posted before unleashing their angry fingers?

Or like I probably guest when posting this article - we've already made up our mind on Jerry Springer the Musical!!!!!

Sorry about that!!! - carry on.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    "There’s never been a traditionally vegetarian culture"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_vegetarianism
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a scientist. Bad labelling just gets to me the way slightly crooked pictures or mismatched socks might irritate other people. A label means a lot. If there is a more accurate term available to describe something, why not use it?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

it's no different that the mocking that astrology would get on an astronomy site.

Oh, lordy. More of the "no science exists" to substantiate it. Had this battle already. Not interested in another bout.

Such a shame that too many people (and perhaps it's just a very vocal minority) have such limited vision and apparent inability to actually read/research. Sure, there is no definitive study on Paleo/Primal in particular, but there are TONS of studies on various aspects of the lifestyle that is incorporated into the nutrition plan. You may not agree with them or their ultimate conclusions, but to say they don't exist is just ridiculous.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I'm a scientist. Bad labelling just gets to me the way slightly crooked pictures or mismatched socks might irritate other people. A label means a lot. If there is a more accurate term available to describe something, why not use it?

True, but being a scientist (if you don't mind, which kind of scientist?), you can understand that when you're dealing with complicated phenomena or systems, that a simple label is almost impossible to create, no? And then when you're taking science and trying to make it palatable for the masses, such simplicity becomes all that more important so as to reach more people, right? So, imperfect labels that get a general (although not complete) idea across are better than labels that may be factually accurate but not marketable/palatable to non-scientific people, right?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Honestly, I'm looking forward to the day when marketers begin labeling their packaging as "paleo/primal" like they did with organic and gluten-free.

I will laugh and laugh... :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Oh, lordy. More of the "no science exists" to substantiate it. Had this battle already. Not interested in another bout.

Such a shame that too many people (and perhaps it's just a very vocal minority) have such limited vision and apparent inability to actually read/research. Sure, there is no definitive study on Paleo/Primal in particular, but there are TONS of studies on various aspects of the lifestyle that is incorporated into the nutrition plan. You may not agree with them or their ultimate conclusions, but to say they don't exist is just ridiculous.

Exactly how many of these studies that support various components of the paleo/primal diet have you actually read?
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm looking forward to the day when marketers begin labeling their packaging as "paleo/primal" like they did with organic and gluten-free.

why so bitter about the world? what'd paleo/primal eaters ever do to you? sounds like they kidnapped your parents or something the way you talk about them. lol

live and let live babycakes. :smile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

why so bitter about the world? what'd paleo/primal eaters ever do to you? sounds like they kidnapped your parents or something the way you talk about them. lol

live and let live babycakes. :smile:

What exactly did I say about paleo/primal eaters that gave you the impression I feel bitterness towards them?

I implied that they fall by way of the mindless sheep that believe everything marketers claim and declare. But most of the general public does...