Filling foods?

Options
To lose 1 lb/week, my calorie allowance with MFP is 1,380. Even with exercise (burning 150-250 calories a day and upping my allowance to approximately 1,600 calories), I am starving all day long. Please share your ideas for filling meals/snacks?

Replies

• Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with guitarjerry and have to add vegetables. My favorite way to stuff myself is 2 bags of microwaveable broccoli/carrots/cauliflower. That's 200 calories and can fill a trough.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, it might help to cut back your calories slowly, to get used to eating less/lower calories. Try 1500 for a week, then 1450, then 1400. Let your body adjust slowly. If you cut back a small amount at a time, it's much less noticeable, so you won't feel it as drastically.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to little your food calories I've noticed. Try going for 1500-1800 a day maybe :) but filling foods, definitely bananas with milk, peanut butter sandwiches, chicken, any fruit in general :)
  • madepenn
    Options
    Peanut butter can rack up the calories very quickly, and it's full of sugar if you don't buy natural. I'm not saying it's unhealthy- peanut butter is a good source of healthy fat and protein- but be mindful of how much of it you're eating.
  • reilles
    reilles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, apples, yogurt, chicken
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber. :smile:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with guitarjerry and have to add vegetables. My favorite way to stuff myself is 2 bags of microwaveable broccoli/carrots/cauliflower. That's 200 calories and can fill a trough.

This
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    Protein. Lots and lots of protein. Chicken, beef, tuna, etc. eat your body weight in grams of protein. You will feel plenty full.

idk, whenever i eat just a protein meal, i only feel full for like 2 hours. gotta have carbs like potatoes or oatmeal for me to feel satisfied for awhile
  • primpixie
    Options
    Hi there,
    Anything with high fibre - lentils (in soup if you're not sure), vegetables, raw or cooked to al dente, make your own muesli, so you can limit the sugar content, and plenty of fruit. Although mango for example is quite high in sugar, it's natural sugar and it is also high in fibre. Just make sure that if you are eating fruits such as mango, you need to burn off the sugar.
    PP
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Protein. Lots and lots of protein. Chicken, beef, tuna, etc. eat your body weight in grams of protein. You will feel plenty full.

idk, whenever i eat just a protein meal, i only feel full for like 2 hours. gotta have carbs like potatoes or oatmeal for me to feel satisfied for awhile

This. Plenty of protein, wholesome carbs, and healthy fats all equally contribute to feeling satisfied with a meal.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Salmon
    Potatoes
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to point out that at some times, you are going to feel hunger pains. I do pretty much every day.
    Drink water. Just don't use it as an excuse to not eat, sometimes this is a game against your body saying you are hungry vs calorie counting.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree on oatmeal, I only do half the recommended amount because I struggle otherwise, soak it overnight in water, then microwave it and add things like fruit, seeds or yoghurt to it. Frequently find after that I suddenly realise it's lunchtime and I've forgotten to have a mid morning snack. I also find bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter really filling. I also agree with veg, but more to use them for bulking things out. The more it looks like I'm having the more likely it is to fill me up. I put loads of veg into the mini chopper to add to meals to add low kcal bulk.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is not filling. Lol

Fat is not filling, unless paired with protein. Protein is the primary satiating food. Everything else is filler.

Eat 12 oz of chicken and tell me you aren't full for 6 hours.

Maybe oatmeal isn't filling for you, but I've been full and satisfied for hours from oatmeal before. Everyone is not the same as you.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Please share your ideas for filling meals/snacks?

For me, the key is homemade food. Prepackaged, overprocessed, foods with labels simply aren't as filling in terms of how much you get for the calories you're eating. The most filling foods I know for me, in terms of least calories consumed, satisfies hunger pangs longest (but also cheap and homemade):

Water
    Vegetable broth
    Apple
    Kimchi
    Lentil stew
    Roasted sweet potato
    Protein powder shake
    Spinach salad with some tuna
    Steamed vegetables

For me there's "satisfying" in terms of filling the hole in my belly, but also "satisfying" in terms of meeting the flavor/texture needs of my tongue and brain.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    Oatmeal is not filling. Lol

Fat is not filling, unless paired with protein. Protein is the primary satiating food. Everything else is filler.

Eat 12 oz of chicken and tell me you aren't full for 6 hours.

6 hours is only 1/3 of the day for most people while 12 oz of chicken (~76 g protein) is more than 1/2 of my protein for the day. so your ratio of hours feeling full vs macros for a meal are way off.
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    try something like 4oz chicken breast and mashed potatoes or a baked potato. this can keep me full for awhile and its about 25g protein and 30g of carbs. pretty decent macros for a meal