Anyone participating in Lent this year?

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We are fairly devout Catholics and we will do all of the obligatory penances: fasting, prayer,and almsgiving. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday fasts are a given, along with meatless Fridays, and our voluntary penances. "What are you giving up this year?" is a common topic in our house right now.

I always look forward to lent. In my mind the practice of giving something up for lent is a spiritual practice, specifically designed to deprive us of some lesser good so that we may focus on the greater Good.

In the past I have made the mistake of being to aggressive in my penances. I have struggled with how to "fast" when I have already been in a calorie deficit -- wasn't I already "fasting"? Last year I gave up all eating after dinner and I was a cantankerous wreck by Easter. It didn't work the way I intended - it had almost the opposite effect of making me focus on the penance instead of God. And after the Vigil mass I stuffed myself.

This year I plan to give up handheld electronic entertainment: no Jetpack Joyride, Plants vs Zombies, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Instead I will read actual books with my free time, including some spiritual reading. I may add in a minor diet-based penance: maybe I'll give up snacks one day a week or something like that.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious at all but I like the challenge of giving things up for a while and this is a good a time as any to do it.
    A couple of years ago I gave up chocolate and sweets, I think I'd like to do that again.

I'm the same -I'm not religious,but enjoy the personal challenge. I've done chocolate and alcohol for the last 3 years. Alcohol is good and I like not feeling like I have to drink even though I don't drink that much anyway. Chocolate is much more of a challenge!! I also have given up unnecessary spending, which saves a fortune, but is open to interpretation as to what is unnecessary!
    [/quote

Why on EARTH would you give up chocolate, unless you're a masochist???????????????????????????]
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but am Christian and marking Lent has been part of my tradition.

I might try "Buy Nothing New". I've done that once before. It really makes me realize how consumer focused we are.

I also do a daily study/reflection.

Or tongue in cheek-I could always give up smoking, chocolate or sex. Chocolate gives me migranes. I haven't eaten it for over 40 years. I'm asthmatic and have never smoked-and sex -well not in a committed relationship.
  • run_abeo
    run_abeo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I'm adding things to my lifestyle instead of subtracting them... since I'm already vegetarian and I enjoyed being vegan.
    More prayers (I'm praying the entirety of the Liturgy of Hours for Lent, around the clock)!
  • samanthacohoe
    Options
    I don't give up food for Lent anymore, since for me it does tend to become a diet rather than a chance to reflect and repent. I usually give up facebook and limit my screen time.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am Catholic (not practicing too much) but I never participated in lent, which drove the nuns crazy and sent me to the chapel in penance every year..

I don't eat candies,or sweets and I can live without chocolate; don't drink much alcohol and gave much my virginity neons ago, so what else is left?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I actually used Lent last year to kick start my road to fitness. I gave up soda, chocolate, pork, and beef. All chosen to make me think more about what I was consuming and to force better choices.

I didn't count calories during Lent, but I went straight from Easter to Fitbit / MFP, which I think made the transition much smoother than it may have been otherwise.

I'm planning on using this Lent to step up my game as I'm currently on a 4-month plateau.

Best of luck to all observing the Lenten season!
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've done it the last 2 years (even though I'm Jewish, haha). 2 years ago I gave up dessert (including granola bars with chocolate chips). Last year I gave up everything processed (except bread and pasta). This year I'll be out of the country for the first ~10 days, but when I come back it's nothing processed for me!
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I give up being a catholic for lent.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm Catholic and will sacrifice something for Lent but haven't decided what. Need more time to reflect. LENT is coming!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm not catholic, but I am Christian, and like the reasoning behind it, so I typically do give something up.

Last year I gave up soda, and was actually pretty successful at it.

This year I'm thinking either chocolate (one of my biggest weaknesses), or maybe all fast food / coffee and then try to do something good with the money I would've spent on it.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Are all the sarcastic caustic comments from non religious people necessary? Theres a thousand other threads to comment on.... it doesnt have to be here if you're only interested in being a douche, just dont comment! Trolls.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Are all the sarcastic caustic comments from non religious people necessary? Theres a thousand other threads to comment on.... it doesnt have to be here if you're only interested in being a douche, just dont comment! Trolls.

It's obvious that this thread strikes a deep nerve with some people--why? I ask. Putting up with their comments and reflecting on why they need to do this is part of MY Lenten pennance.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    for Lent I will be giving up bread, as it seems to give me horrific mood swings, and by eliminating it for a set amount of time I can test my theory!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Nope kinda like a New years resolution
    never stick to it. Why bother?

Why bother? If you are a practicing Christian you want to prepare yourself for Easter, which celebrates the Resurrection of Christ. Easter is the greatest holy day of the Christian year.

Christians prepare by fasting & abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday & Good Friday, and abstaining from meat on all Fridays. They participate in Lenten prayers and services, do penance, and almsgiving (donating money & goods to the poor) and do other works of charity, and other acts of self-discipline. :flowerforyou:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I will participate in shrove Tuesday with some delicious pancakes. And I will participate in Easter with some chocolate eggs. Lent? I just want to continue working towards my goals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Seriously, people look on a religious thing as a diet aid?

Eugh.

I will be giving up chocolate for Lent - have done this for several years , ie well before I started on my weight loss journey 12 months ago.
    I eat chocolate fairly often and fit it into my calories and have met my weight loss goal - giving it up is not a diet aid for me, it is about a small sacrifice of giving up something I enjoy, teaches me not to take luxuries for granted and to practice some self control in a measured way.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm Christian ! I did lent for the first time last year, I gave up all sweets and fizzy juice! I stayed of the fizzy juice mostly but am getting to be an energy drink junky !
    So this year I have a list of things im giving up and things I will be doing (im veggie so meat is out anyway)
    Giving up - Fizzy juice, Sweets, Alcohol, Chips (fries), cheese.
    Doing - Fast every Wed + Friday (500cal days), No Swearing, Start a Lifting Program, Go to Church Every Sunday, Vegan Saturdays

Big list but I think its all doable :)
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I gave up tea and coffee a few years ago which was brutal! This year I'll do something which will tie-in with losing a bit of weight. Maybe sweets and chocolate.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Maybe alcohol for me... I'm no big drinker anyway, but it'd do me a word of good to stop having a whole bottle of wine at weekends :smile: