Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options
I cant wait to see if people will completely rip into me about this,

But seriously, who thinks Crossfit is one of the silliest, albeit most hilarious, things to enter the fitness world recently?!?!

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    wait for it...................:yawn:

I'm sure its coming.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Crossfit has done more to put barbells in the hands of average people than any other exercise modality to come before, so you shouldn't knock it. It's only "silly" if you have bad coaches at your local box and are unable to correctly gauge your own limitations.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?

Yeah this one gets my vote for silliest too.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Crossfit has done more to put barbells in the hands of average people than any other exercise modality to come before, so you shouldn't knock it. It's only "silly" if you have bad coaches at your local box and are unable to correctly gauge your own limitations.

Well said.

OP, why do you think it is silly? Have you tried it?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Prancersize anyone?

For the win........
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I agree. And, though it's not my favorite (I've never seen such bad form, in some instances) I have several close friends who've found their motivation via Crossfit, after years of trying other methods. Yeah, it's sort of cultish and CAN be harmful, but in general, it's beneficial. But, wow, you do have to be careful, and really anal about form.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    $180/month to learn kipping pull ups seems silly to me.

hahaha :tongue:

Don't get me wrong, they are not all bad, and I applaud anyone trying to better themselves, no matter what it is, as long as they are doing it in a safe manner.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Crossfit has done more to put average people in the hands of physiotherapists than any other exercise modality to come before, so you shouldn't knock it.

:happy:

I'm kidding. My only gripes are
    1) Kipping pull ups. If you can't do a proper one, kipping it is going to put a ****load of stress on a weak, unstable joint. I'm not interested in the top Crosskippers at the top of the game but newbies who've done no exercise and then are taught to kip pull ups.
    2) "The fittest man in the world". I bet there are others who are far fitter. I'd bet Jessica Ennis-Hill is fitter. She might not be able to clean as heavy a load but who cares?
    3) Bad trainers.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Hahaha! True.

(I would never pay what CF wants....in that regard, it reminds me of a sorority: pay the money, drink the juice. No thanks!)
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In general - not for me. foundations are sound albeit nothing blindingly different from other programs.

many people go for the novelty factor. some get results, some don't. As per usual what you put in you get out and if that's what you want to do, go for it.

I have seen 2 x rotator cuff injuries in friends that do it. but then if I look at my running or triathlete friends, every single one of them has been injured in training.
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the ironanimal on this one. I'm not a crossfit guy myself, but you have to compare it to people's options beforehand. They are doing deadlifts, squats, pull ups (maybe with a wild kip), clean and jerk, snatch, basically its putting weights in people's hands, while getting them some coaching. Compare that to just wandering the exercise machines and cardio equipment, or doing video home workouts. At the end of the day, if it gets people moving and they enjoy it can't really be a bad thing. Now the costs $100 plus gym membership fees and the idea of doing Olympic type lifts to failure, that might be debatable.
  • saranankivell
    saranankivell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dont normally post on these things but this got my goat!

1. I have been crossfitting for over 9 months and my coach refuses to teach me to kip because of two reasons - my shoulder stability isnt good enough and i cant do 15 strict deadhang pull ups.
    2. Crossfit isnt dangerous, bad coaching is and ego is!
    3. The fittest man/wmen in the world will outrun a lifter and outlift a runner - yes, there may be some that are fitter but can they cover every element of fitness and still be the best? Doubt it
    4. Don't knock it until you've tried it
    5. I guarentee you will work harder in a crossfit session than you will in any other type of class as well as using every aspect of your fitness - strength, aerobic capacity, flexibility, mobility, gymnasticskills, power etc.
    6. I've seen worse teachnique in a standard gym where there are 10 trainers stood mocking someones form instead of making an effort to fix it.
    7. In no crossfit box will you see someone sat on a bike, reading a magazine then sitting down in the bar/cafe drinking a skinny latte proposing that its healthy!
    8. There are bad trainers everywhere - regardless of the modality of training.
    9. Every workout is scaled - if someone cant lift, perform a movment safely and effectively then they are given an alternative weight and/or exercise until they are safe and efficient at that lift/movement!

Rant over.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    ^^this :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

this is my main issue with crossfit. Otherwise I think I'd really enjoy it.

and also the issue about trainers in some boxes not being very good, and that resulting in people getting hurt... from that point of view I can see the justification in it being expensive (i.e. so they can pay people who know what they're doing), but it still seems overpriced... I mean you can get proper instruction in other sports/kinds of exercise without paying that much. I played ice hockey for much cheaper and the club had to hire the entire ice rink to practice... (this was in the UK where there's no natural ice and not many ice rinks.... yet still it wasn't that expensive)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    lol - I enjoy watching these arguments. It's the best thing ever! It damn well should be for $180 a month! Kipping! Look at my box! :wink:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Why silly? :) I think it puts the ultimate test to one's body :)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I Crossfit for 2 years. And I scaled everytime. But I was more injured during those 2 years than I was fitter. And I wasn't the ONLY one. Most folks in my class complained of shoulder issues. Some went in for surgery and are still continuing to Crossfit.

I joined b'coz I wanted to be a better runner improve on my pace. 2012 season I never ran - Why? I suffered foot injury during box jumps. However I still continued to Crossfit.... Only upper body and ofcourse NO Box Jumps and NO Sprints.:cry:

Beginning 2013 I felt a severe pain in my right shoulder. Saw an orthopedic and said I had rotator cuff pinch. He asked me what I was doing.... I said lift 75 pounds overhead. His question "Does your job require you to train to lift such heavy weights?" I said No. His million dollar hit "In that case you would need to lift anything from overhead is when you want to pull something from a kitchen cabin, correct, and no way are you going to take 75 pounds up and down the kitchen cabinet.. You can continue to do what you are doing right now. But a month from now you'll be back and I'll still be here and if you want you'll ask me perform a surgery on you or you can go to any other Ortho. But you can avoid. Step back and ask if any function during exercise is practical".

I moved out of Crossfit on Feb 2013. It took a entire year of 2013 for my shoulder to heal and it healed of it's own. I ran that year and did 2013 Virginia Beach 1/2.

Crossfit isn't for me. This is my experience and I'm just sharing it here. Not to prove anything.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I dont normally post on these things but this got my goat!

1. I have been crossfitting for over 9 months and my coach refuses to teach me to kip because of two reasons - my shoulder stability isnt good enough and i cant do 15 strict deadhang pull ups.
    2. Crossfit isnt dangerous, bad coaching is and ego is!
    3. The fittest man/wmen in the world will outrun a lifter and outlift a runner - yes, there may be some that are fitter but can they cover every element of fitness and still be the best? Doubt it
    4. Don't knock it until you've tried it
    5. I guarentee you will work harder in a crossfit session than you will in any other type of class as well as using every aspect of your fitness - strength, aerobic capacity, flexibility, mobility, gymnasticskills, power etc.
    6. I've seen worse teachnique in a standard gym where there are 10 trainers stood mocking someones form instead of making an effort to fix it.
    7. In no crossfit box will you see someone sat on a bike, reading a magazine then sitting down in the bar/cafe drinking a skinny latte proposing that its healthy!
    8. There are bad trainers everywhere - regardless of the modality of training.
    9. Every workout is scaled - if someone cant lift, perform a movment safely and effectively then they are given an alternative weight and/or exercise until they are safe and efficient at that lift/movement!

Rant over.

This is all true, and when CrossFit is great - it's great. Unfortunately the openness of CrossFit and the type of people who have been given the go-ahead to start/run a box means the bad type of CrossFit is propagated far, far more than the great kind. The same can of course be said for any "pop up gym", but the CrossFit craze has gone global.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's not silly, but I'm turned off at the price considering they don't have expensive machines and equipment and I've only ever found them in industrial sections or old garages in scuzzy neighbourhoods.

And I'm sorry but you're paying for group classes, not individual training. Not hating on it, do what you like but I don't see the benefit for the cost here.