Why Bulletproof Coffee is BS Coffee

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    wait, i thought "bulletproof coffee" was used to describe adding butter to coffee... is this something else?

If you add enough liquor you can feel 10 ft tall and bulletproof.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    f1638d7e4935862fcb8c516a2a3935b6e84018e42d8f1abb3e568d0cc76bb3f4.jpg

*you're :tongue:

I hate when I find the perfect gif, and they misspell something.

I had a friend here who used to talk about drinking this all the time. Too bad he's not here anymore to see this.

It's Ricky; I think the grammar mistake is appropriate here.
  • JillSalus
    JillSalus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't have a stance on this either way but wanted to point out that it isn't micro-toxins, it's mycotoxins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycotoxin
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't have a stance on this either way but wanted to point out that it isn't micro-toxins, it's mycotoxins.

Oops. Thanks.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The Nepalese put rancid yak butter in their tea.

Yes, it tastes as gross as it sounds....

Ummm... I just threw up in my mouth a little....:sick:
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

Check out The Inuit ~ People of the Arctic: FOOD SOURCES

http://www.johntyman.com/arctic/inuit104.html

Rotten/Rancid meat is actually a favorite Inuit delicacy, and they beleive it has health promoting properties.

Aajonus Vonderplanitz claims that it cured his terminal cancer.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Thanks! I was wondering what they meant.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Greytfish
    Options

Shows you how much cultural conditioning has on long term taste expereinces. Afghans drink goats milk, which most American dislike as much as rancid yak butter, and think that pasteurized cow's milk is worse than rancid yak butter. even drinking cow's milk that is not commercially processed doesn't go over well with most Americans. What you like is largely about what you were taught to like.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Shows you how much cultural conditioning has on long term taste expereinces. Afghans drink goats milk, which most American dislike as much as rancid yak butter, and think that pasteurized cow's milk is worse than rancid yak butter. even drinking cow's milk that is not commercially processed doesn't go over well with most Americans. What you like is largely about what you were taught to like.

Well, I'm not an American, but I agree cultural conditioning is massive in all sorts of areas of human experience, food taste included.

And although I have a pretty broad palette, even I found rancid yak butter tea "challenging". It's one of only two things in my travels that I've come across that I couldn't stomach.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Since fat oxidization is in flux at all times, for a person in a calorie deficit there would be no NET difference.
    No MORE fat would be oxidized...

Pretty sure that's not what you mean.

wait, i thought "bulletproof coffee" was used to describe adding butter to coffee... is this something else?

If you add enough liquor you can feel 10 ft tall and bulletproof.

:laugh: Asked the first time whether I knew what Bulletproof coffe was, my answer was "Black coffee with good whiskey"

Always a crowd pleaser.
  • arhelton753
    Options
    if is MAKES ME bulletproof - I AM IN!!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Is this the coffee with grassfed butter and coconut oil added to it?

I'm at work and get watch the video.

I don't get the point of adding butter or coconut oil to your coffee...
    Unless you really suck at hitting your fat macro...

Hmm,.. *strokes chin* maybe I should do that to hit my fat macro...

If you aren't going to workout in the morning, you can actually have it in place of a traditional breakfast and it will keep you both satiated, and in the state of ketosis you were in when you woke up (presuming you aren't diabetic, of course). Theoretically, since you're body will keep burning fat for fuel, you can drop some body fat.

You don't want to do it on days you will be doing a hard workout in the morning because then you'll need soem protein and carbs.

I was kidding. I'm not putting butter and coconit oil in my coffee.
    I'd be willing to try coconut oil. But I probably wont because I'm lazy.

Plus I train fasted. I go to the gym at 5am.
    My coffee occurs at about 730am.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Well, I'm not an American, but I agree cultural conditioning is massive in all sorts of areas of human experience, food taste included.

And although I have a pretty broad palette, even I found rancid yak butter tea "challenging". It's one of only two things in my travels that I've come across that I couldn't stomach.

Did you have pretty broad palatte exposure from a younger age?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I typically see it used as an energy drink that doesn't contain a lot of carbs, rather than some sort of magical fat burning potion. The idea is consuming caffeine combined with fat (particularly when we're talking about MCT oil) to wake you up and to provide a burst of energy. I don't know anyone that has actually purchased the coffee labelled "bulletproof coffee" but I know plenty of people who just use the name to refer to any coffee drink that contains fats (usually pure MCT or something like coconut oil which is predominantly MCTs).
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

(I'm not american either lol). Def all about what we are conditioned to like from a young age( unless you are my kids and hate everything:laugh:) . I personally like my tea with nothing in it (not even milk or cream) so something fatty like butter not appealing, but rancid butter.... Ugh... I don't think I could do it!! I'm willing to try a lot of things but I don't think something like that would ever be one of them!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why, per se? Assuming you're not diabetic, your body is in a ketogenic state when you wake. If you avoid immediate intake of simple and complex carbs, the body will continue to use fat as fuel.

There is a difference between "use fat as a fuel" and "use stored body fat as a fuel".

If you are ingesting fat, the increased metabolic load upon waking up isn't met by burning more stored fat (which is what we want and what your earlier post implied), it is met by metabolizing ingested fat, which has no more effect on stored fat than if you ingested carbs.

Butter in coffee is delicious. It's also a great way to blow up your caloric deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Your body is burning fat, body fat, when you awake in ketosis.

This is where you're going off the rails. When you awake, your body is burning stored fat if it has been in a caloric deficit.

Ketosis or not makes no difference. If you're in ketosis and waking up with a belly full of fat-rich food that the body hasn't had a chance to digest yet, it will get its energy for burning the ingested food, not from stored fats.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    That was not what I was implying, though in the overly simplistic culture of MFP that's likely what many would infer. The body is burning stored fat. If you consume fats upon breaking your fast, your body will continue to burn fat as fuel - note - that is not an identical statement to "your body will continue to burn body fat as fuel." It will burn your dietary fat before it will burn any stored fat - but we're talking a minimal amount of about 14g of fat and around 120 calories.

Where that fat is MTC coconut oil, there are studies suggesting that EE will be slightly increased. The most commonly cited one dates from way back in 1996 and found that 15-30 grams of MCTs per day increased 24 hour EEby 5% or about 120 calories per day. There are more recent studies but probably the best two indicators came from the large scale use of coconut oil in feed in both a large scale cattle operation and in racing greyhounds. In both scenarios, without other changes to feed, the animals lost body fat as a percentage of body composition, even though in both cases the oil did not represent a caloric increase. In both cases they were looking to feed the oil for fat to maintain body fat, not hoping to decrease it, so they were understandably not happy.

And, one more time, because nothing ever is absorbed the first seven times it's stated exactly the same, we were not discussion the consequences of increasing any fat intake or decreasing any carb intake - merely adjusted when they were ingested to improve performance and recovery.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't see the difference between the body burning dietary fat and dietary carbs in the morning. Can you explain it?

If you're in a calorie deficit, your body will continue to use body fat to make up the deficit whether you give it calories from fat or carbs in the morning.

Why would the body burn more body fat if it's in a deficit when given dietary fat instead of carbs?