500 Calories a day??

According to the Doctor I saw yesterday this is what I should be eating ...

And that the 500 calories shouldn't include any fruit as it is "too calorie rich".

Apparently I should lose about 1kg per week this way.

Let's be clear - I don't intend on following this advice. I eat about 1200 a day and that sometimes leaves me feeling like I need more.

Just curious as to whether anyone has ever tried something so drastic and where it got them (hospital?!?!?!?!?).

Replies

• arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Wow, coming from a doctor. No never went down that far. 1,200 for me too.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    You sure it wasn't the receptionist in a white coat just playing with you?

My mind is blown.
  • lmweese
    lmweese Posts: 2 Member
    You need a new Doctor.....
  • Not sure what your weight is, but unless your about to keel over from cardiac arrest then the doctor is an idiot.

Vast majority of people would not last more than a week on 500kcal without losing motivation, it's unrealistic, dangerous and uninformed advice coming from an apparent figure of authority on the issue.
  • That seems a little ridiculous.. Is this for any specific reason? Certain blood work/physical coming up? I don't see this as being something you could do. I feel like the body would need at least 1000-1200 just to function. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I agree with you, I sometimes feel like I still need more food and I drink water all day long to try and make me feel fuller.

I do not think 500 is a good number for calories. I had half of a sub wrap today and it was almost 500 by itself and it definitely didn't fill me up.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Yeah, you need a new doctor Kaylee. Frickin Aussie quacks.... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

:wink:
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Maybe 500 calories per meal, not for the whole day. :-)
  • I have done this but it was a 3 day on 4 day off, with the 4 days eating sensibly and the 3 days on were very specific foods in very specific amounts. And no I didn't end up in the hospital.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish". I gave her my long history of trying to lose weight, blood tests other doctors had taken, hormone tests my naturopath had done, a diet plan a dietician had done for me.

I was in shock when she said it, and I got out and "lost it", more so as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I felt as though she was saying I was so ridiculously fat that I should need something so drastic to lose weight.

Now I'm currently a US Size 10/ Aus Size 12 (Although my wedding dress is a US Size 8, so I'm pretty happy with that lol). I don't think I qualify as morbidly obese, but she certainly made me feel that way.

She followed this advice by saying if 500 calories a day doesn't work for me I should consider lap band surgery or the like. Again, made me feel as though I was as big as some of those people I see in documentary's that need to break down walls of their house to get them out of there!!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    According to the Doctor I saw yesterday this is what I should be eating ...

And that the 500 calories shouldn't include any fruit as it is "too calorie rich".

Apparently I should lose about 1kg per week this way.

Let's be clear - I don't intend on following this advice. I eat about 1200 a day and that sometimes leaves me feeling like I need more.

Just curious as to whether anyone has ever tried something so drastic and where it got them (hospital?!?!?!?!?).

I actually started laughing when I read the fruit thing. So, when are you finding a new doctor? :laugh:
  • A US size 8 is not big at all! That is right in the middle of our sizes, if I am not mistaken.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    You need a new Doctor.....

Definitely need a new Doctor. Ridiculous advice.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Was he telling you to do the 5:2 diet, which is pretty popular at the moment? The 500 calorie target is not every day. It is basically an intermittent fasting set up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

Edit:
    Nevermind - Just saw your second comment and it is clear now that they want you to feel like you can't lose weight so that you will come back and get a lap band. I'm on the "find a new doc" crew now.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Well I went to her for a second opinion, particularly as my thyroid is "sluggish". I gave her my long history of trying to lose weight, blood tests other doctors had taken, hormone tests my naturopath had done, a diet plan a dietician had done for me.

I was in shock when she said it, and I got out and "lost it", more so as I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I felt as though she was saying I was so ridiculously fat that I should need something so drastic to lose weight.

Now I'm currently a US Size 10/ Aus Size 12 (Although my wedding dress is a US Size 8, so I'm pretty happy with that lol). I don't think I qualify as morbidly obese, but she certainly made me feel that way.

She followed this advice by saying if 500 calories a day doesn't work for me I should consider lap band surgery or the like. Again, made me feel as though I was as big as some of those people I see in documentary's that need to break down walls of their house to get them out of there!!!

OH MY. This doctor is WACK-A-DOODLE, seriously..............
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Size 10 is my goal size. I know it's hard but shrug it off and think about finding a new doc.
  • moniker_74
    moniker_74 Posts: 16 Member
    If you are size 10 you don't come close to needing lap band surgery - you wouldn't even qualify for it! I think you really need a new doctor! Eat sensibly and exercise, that's it!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Need more context.

How much weight do you need to lose?

Was there a plan on meeting nutrient requirements, etc?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Maybe 500 calories per meal, not for the whole day. :-)

^^^This. Otherwise I would really question your "doctor's" credentials. Did she also try to sell you on HCG?
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member

Does SHE do this kind of surgery? Seems like a business savvy doctor ("hmmmm... if I can convince people of "normal" weight that they are obese and when I recommend eating 500 calories so their bodies go into starvation mode and they will necessarily FAIL, they will come back to me and I'll be able to make a bunch of MONEY by giving them a risky surgery they don't actually need!")
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Good God! Lap band surgery and you're a size 12 - damn that's my goal.

I'd be getting a new doctor.