Weights v Cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• valzippy
    valzippy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love weights and strength training much more than cardio. Check out this book.... The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Great stuff!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love weights and strength training much more than cardio. Check out this book.... The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Great stuff!
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I am at Stage 2....and I am seeing a change..slowly but surely! :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 ...... my general practitioner says cardio is best & my "ladies" doctor says lifting weights prevents osteoporosis ...... whatever ...... I do both :drinker:
  • sarahmorgan050
    sarahmorgan050 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love weights, But I do like to do things in between lifting to keep my heart rate up.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me lifting 3-4 times a week with only 2 days of cardio (15-20 min HIIT). She said that too much cardio will burn muscle, not fat. I've only been lifting a few weeks now, but am seeing some results! Can't wait to see progression in a few months :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I prefer cardio, but obviously do both.

Weights make my body look better, but my goals are endurance based so cardio has to be a big part of my plan.
  • Gholmar
    Options
    Also, please use punctuation...

Please don't use ellipses incorrectly.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Cardio burns fat and strength training builds muscle.... You can build muscle with cardio, but to bulk up you need to do strength work.... I do cardio 6 days a week and strength training 3 days a week and I'm losing steadily and toning up nicely.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns fat and strength training builds muscle.... You can build muscle with cardio, but to bulk up you need to do strength work.... I do cardio 6 days a week and strength training 3 days a week and I'm losing steadily and toning up nicely.

Most all of this^^^^^^^post is wrong.

Caloric Deficit Burns fat.

Cardio is good for cardiovascular health and larger calorie burns (so you can eat more).

Strength training, builds.....strength. What it does with muscle (maintain, build) is highly dependent upon diet.

You can't build substantial muscle with steady state cardio. HIIT, sprints, hills, can help obtain some minimal muscle gains.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi I was told by my trainers to lose weight and tone I need cardio cardio cardio but I would like to do some weight training at some point lol I feel I have no strength in my arms what so ever

Are these trainers actually employed?
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm what you would consider a "cardio bunny". I run, walk, bike, x-country ski and swim. I've gotten better results by doing things I like and stick with as opposed to lifting weights in a gym. Yawn.

The terrain I run and bike on is fairly hilly, so that may be why I seem leaner now than I ever was when going to the gym (?). Maybe I would get fabulous results by lifting exclusively, but I just don't enjoy it.

I'm focusing on my diet and I'm really seeing some results. For me, diet is key. I would like to incorporate some calisthenics while running and biking. That means stopping at a park and doing push-ups, tricep dips and pull-ups (assistance required). However, there's a few feet of snow on the ground at the moment, so I have to do them in the house. Blah.

Do what works for you. If that's lifting 100% of the time, great, if it's walking 10km per day, great. :drinker: