Why calorie counting is ridiculous

Options

Replies

• ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "Don't count calories, it'll make you fatter! However, if you purchase The Biggest Loser protein shakes, snacks, and workout DVDs, all of your wildest dreams will come true."

giphy_zps4680e543.gif

NICE!!!!
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Nothing to discuss. It is ridiculous... ridiculous that I've lost over fifty pounds doing it on here. Speaks for itself! :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Also, no fat animals??? Never seen a UK native pony then, unless their grass intake is restricted they get really fat, to the point where they are ill as a result and still stuffing their faces, even the ones in Wales on the moors with no addtional food whatsoever.

And my dog would be fat if I let her eat as much as she wanted.

Well clearly that grass is processed toxic crap.

:flowerforyou:

Now why did I not think of that? lol
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    retox detox theiry..............anyone familiar??
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    there is another factor that no one mentioned. Back in the 1970s the plates were smaller. Since then the manufacturers have been making plates bigger so as we look at our plates and they look empty we pile more on thinking that we are eating the correct amount. I also agree that in the 1970s we as a society were a lot more active than we are now. Also parents and others are penalized for making our children go outside and play! Ive actually kicked my kids outside and had them complain that they are bored!!!! Makes me mad as all heck! Those of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s had the actual ability to go outside play and not come home till our parents yelled for us. Now I look around and all I see are people who complain that they dont have time to exercise but can sit on their smartphone and tablets for hours on end then go home and sit on the computer WHILE watching tv and eating junk food and take out. smhl

Pretty sure that the crappy Corelle ware with the orange flowers on it that my mother had in the 70s is the same size as the crappy Corelle that I have with the blue flowers from the 90s. It isn't plates.

Activity? Yes. I agree on that. We didn't have a choice. TV sucked.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You know, my copy of the Joy of Cooking from pre-world-war II has a section on advice for the slimming housewife including how to count calories.

So much for nobody doing it before 1970.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Also, no fat animals??? Never seen a UK native pony then, unless their grass intake is restricted they get really fat, to the point where they are ill as a result and still stuffing their faces, even the ones in Wales on the moors with no addtional food whatsoever.

Umm, processed grass . . .

Shush you, you didn't even read the article.

What article? Does this mean I don't get the grass?
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Uhmmmmm pre1970 people barely knew what a calorie was? WTF? I found an interesting article about the calorie which was first discovered back in the mid 1800's. Here's just one paragraph I found to totally dispute her stupid claim people didn't know what calories were or that we cared about how many we were shoving in our mouths. This article has a long list of references. And here's my reference to the article for all you referency type people. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/12/2957.full

The Calorie began to enter popular American vocabulary after Atwater explained the unit in his 1887 article in Century magazine. The most important avenue was probably the USDA Farmers' Bulletins (61,62), which provided the first U.S. food databases to be used in dietetics. Then, as now, American audiences were interested in managing weight, and the Calorie was soon introduced in articles and books. For example, Dr. Lulu Hunt Peters' best-selling “Diet and Health with Key to the Calories” specifically cited Farmers' Bulletin 142 as a source of information (65). Eventually, the Calorie was adopted for the nutrition facts panels on U.S. food labels. At present, there does not seem to be a movement by policy makers in the US to replace the Calorie with the kJ on nutrition information panels.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Umm, processed grass . . .

Shush you, you didn't even read the article.

What article? Does this mean I don't get the grass?

:laugh:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have heard this before I wasted the last year and a half of my life.

^^This, but almost 2 years of my life. Half my body weight lost counting calories.
    Doesn't work huh?:tongue:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Uhmmmmm pre1970 people barely knew what a calorie was? WTF? I found an interesting article about the calorie which was first discovered back in the mid 1800's. Here's just one paragraph I found to totally dispute her stupid claim people didn't know what calories were or that we cared about how many we were shoving in our mouths. This article has a long list of references. And here's my reference to the article for all you referency type people. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/12/2957.full

The Calorie began to enter popular American vocabulary after Atwater explained the unit in his 1887 article in Century magazine. The most important avenue was probably the USDA Farmers' Bulletins (61,62), which provided the first U.S. food databases to be used in dietetics. Then, as now, American audiences were interested in managing weight, and the Calorie was soon introduced in articles and books. For example, Dr. Lulu Hunt Peters' best-selling “Diet and Health with Key to the Calories” specifically cited Farmers' Bulletin 142 as a source of information (65). Eventually, the Calorie was adopted for the nutrition facts panels on U.S. food labels. At present, there does not seem to be a movement by policy makers in the US to replace the Calorie with the kJ on nutrition information panels.

BURN!!!! :drinker:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have heard this before I wasted the last year and a half of my life.

^^This, but almost 2 years of my life. Half my body weight lost counting calories.
    Doesn't work huh?:tongue:

Yeah, you guys are so "ridiculous".....

RIDICULOUSLY SUCCESSFUL!!! :laugh: :smokin: :drinker: :heart:
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation. It's also true that French people tend to weigh less than Americans. So, speaking French makes you lose weight!:huh:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    0/10
    Would not bang. Ever.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    "Don't count calories, it'll make you fatter! However, if you purchase The Biggest Loser protein shakes, snacks, and workout DVDs, all of your wildest dreams will come true."
    LOL Awesome!
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of her points are just her opinions backed up by metaphors. While it is true that we ate better food back in the day, there really is nothing wrong with having a piece of chocolate or a piece of pizza in moderation. Yeah, our body will have to deal with the toxins, but that's why we eat in moderation. Even though, it wasn't smart for big fast food companies to come out with their crappy food... well, smart for them, they are rich, but we shouldn't have to completely restrict ourselves from it. I really like vegetables and fruit, but I also like a slice of pizza every now and then. I really don't think there is anything wrong with it.
    Just my thoughts.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Obviously the science is wrong. When I was a pilot evidently I was wasting my time watching my fuel consumption rate--I'm surprised I didn't flameout because of my preoccupation with my fuel tanks.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation. It's also true that French people tend to weigh less than Americans. So, speaking French makes you lose weight!:huh:
    Corrélation n'est pas égal de causalité
  • cyount830
    Options
    The OP uses flawed logic to give her argument merit. Counting calories is essential in understand what your true calorie intake is per day. Most people tend to misrepresent the amount of food they eat when not tracking calories and believe with commen sense as the poster mentions they are doing it right.