Generally what has more calories Pasta or Rice?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi, my meals without pasta, rice or potatoes just aren't filling me up. So having cut them out for the last few months I want to bring them back in, but using the MFP database the calorie values of average cooked pasta and rice varies SO wildly that I don't trust any of them. What in general has more calories cooked - 100g of Penne Pasta, or 100g of Basmati White Rice?

Thanks.

Try Fiber Gourmet pasta. Half the calories of regular and much more fiber than whole grain pasta.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know this probably sounds stoopid, but all the info on the rice and pasta just says for 85g or per 100g - it never says whether that is cooked or uncooked weight.

That's uncooked.

Always use uncooked weight for tracking rice/pasta calories. Otherwise you're at the mercy of how the rice/pasta is cooked.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My friend makes Cauliflower Rice as a rice alternative...Surprisingly nice

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm
    [/quote

As I remember pistachios are "gross" too. You surely have "strong and strange opinions". Not everyone shares your food problems dear. Cool your jets.

UGH! Cauliflower is NOT rice, neither is it pasta!

Clever one...indeed it is not, however as I stated, it can be used as an alternative. As the op is obviously cal counting, and cauliflower is less cals, they may find this useful. No need to shoot people down, were all here for the same reasons.

What makes you think everyone is here for the same reasons? I am definitely not here for cauliflower recipes. Cauliflower is nasty, imo. Rice is delicious and fairly low calorie. There's NO reason to avoid it.

Haha, that's a strong reaction to cauliflower- did you have a bad experience with it as a child ;)

Really? Thinking a particular food tastes gross is a "strong reaction?" So I guess you like everything? Not a single food you find gross?

I also think cabbage and sauerkraut taste gross. There might be a few more that I can't think of. Want a list? Are you here for the reason of finding out what tastes gross? :laugh:
  • snowflake954
    Options

[/quote

As I remember pistachios are "gross" too. You surely have "strong and strange opinions". Not everyone shares your food problems dear. Cool your jets.

Clever one...indeed it is not, however as I stated, it can be used as an alternative. As the op is obviously cal counting, and cauliflower is less cals, they may find this useful. No need to shoot people down, were all here for the same reasons.

What makes you think everyone is here for the same reasons? I am definitely not here for cauliflower recipes. Cauliflower is nasty, imo. Rice is delicious and fairly low calorie. There's NO reason to avoid it.

Haha, that's a strong reaction to cauliflower- did you have a bad experience with it as a child ;)

Really? Thinking a particular food tastes gross is a "strong reaction?" So I guess you like everything? Not a single food you find gross?

I also think cabbage and sauerkraut taste gross. There might be a few more that I can't think of. Want a list? Are you here for the reason of finding out what tastes gross? :laugh:

As I remember pistachios are also "gross". You certainly have strong opinions---an over reaction? Why? Just because you have problems with certain foods---cool your jets dear.
  • bcattoes
    Options

As I remember pistachios are also "gross". You certainly have strong opinions---an over reaction? Why? Just because you have problems with certain foods---cool your jets dear.

??? Why is thinking certain foods are gross an over reaction or indicate a problem with food? I would imagine everyone has foods they think are gross.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

No, I came here to tell OP that rice is lower in calories than pasta, which was the question at hand. You are the one who went off-topic with your cauliflower nonsense. :flowerforyou:

ewww, white rice is gross! Its like little maggots on your plate. Cauliflower is MUCH better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ??? Why is thinking certain foods are gross an over reaction or indicate a problem with food? I would imagine everyone has foods they think are gross.

???

Some people want everyone to share their opinion, I guess.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta is my go to-180 cals for 2 oz serving (dry spaghetti less than circumference of a quarter)
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, I came here to tell OP that rice is lower in calories than pasta, which was the question at hand. You are the one who went off-topic with your cauliflower nonsense. :flowerforyou:

ewww, white rice is gross! Its like little maggots on your plate. Cauliflower is MUCH better.

I can take or leave white rice, but I would agree about cauliflower, as long as it's roasted in the oven to a golden brown and not shredded in a vain attempt to simulate eating maggots. Er, I mean white rice.
  • snowflake954
    Options

I've been through this before with dear Wendy. Don't you think she lashed out at the poor guy who was just trying to help? She definately wants us all to know what she doesn't like--could care less.

Yes, but they don't feel a need to inform everyone---not interested in Wendy's gross problems--seen it before. She really lashed out at the poor guy out of nowhere--not nice.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I've been through this before with dear Wendy. Don't you think she lashed out at the poor guy who was just trying to help? She definately wants us all to know what she doesn't like--could care less.

Yes, but they don't feel a need to inform everyone---not interested in Wendy's gross problems--seen it before. She really lashed out at the poor guy out of nowhere--not nice.

Lashed out? :laugh:

Wow! Some people are way too sensitive! And "the poor guy" was off topic to begin with, now you are further derailing this thread with your pity party. :wink:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Egg noodles are a good alternative to regular pasta for some dishes with regards to cutting calories. MFP also has steamed white rice (cooked) in the database by the cup, and from my experience, the entries are just about right when compared to the uncooked corresponding weight measurements.

Also, baked potatoes aren't bad at all. They're about 110 calories for a small baked potato, which is quite reasonable for a side item. Just be mindful of toppings, and you should be fine.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Wendy- You are a big B...I feel sorry for Greg. Bless his heart.

I know I'm beautiful, but that's no reason to feel sorry for my sweetie. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yeah, they do. I could tell you many things that people who frequent the boards do and don't like. It's the nature of a 'Food and Nutrition' board. Never heard sharing that information refered to as lashing out, though.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Also, Ronzoni now makes 150 calorie per serving pasta. It's not bad either. I used the spaghetti in a carbonara dish earlier this week, and it came out nice as long as you don't overcook it.
  • rockey2
    Options
    Another alternative is Rice Stick Noodles. 1 cup cooked is approx 160 calories. I found them a while back and they are normally used in Tai foods but I've used them with tomato sauces and it's not that bad. Plus a bonus of 8g protein and 0 fat. Whichever way you go moderation is the key :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yeah, they do. I could tell you many things that people who frequent the boards do and don't like. It's the nature of a 'Food and Nutrition' board. Never heard sharing that information referred to as lashing out, though.

Yes, it's news to me too. Don't share opinions during discussions. :laugh:

(For the record, my Gregory also hates cauliflower! whoops, shouldn't have shared that, I guess)
  • MinkeyMe
    MinkeyMe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So...my 1/2 measure of cooked pasta per serving is completely wrong? How do you all measure your single serving pasta size?

Also, I've never read such a 'spirited' discussion of cauliflower. I'd no clue cauliflower could arouse such passion!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So...my 1/2 measure of cooked pasta per serving is completely wrong? How do you all measure your single serving pasta size?

Also, I've never read such a 'spirited' discussion of cauliflower. I'd no clue cauliflower could arouse such passion!

Yes, don't go by cooked values because the water that gets soaked in can vary widely. For both rice and pasta, weigh it dry.
  • rockey2
    Options
    Get yourself a good food scale that also measures in grams and measure the dry product based on the manufacturers label.