Running Tip: So you are about to do your first race.

Options

Replies

• random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. I'm running a Turkey Trot in a couple of weeks. With this information (and the hopes that I can get my brain to shut up) I should be good to go.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    Holy cow! This is still up? Can't believe it's already been 2 years since I wrote this!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! This is still up? Can't believe it's already been 2 years since I wrote this!
    I can't believe you're back again! :tongue:

Heck yeah it's still up - I still share it with people all the time, it's great info. :drinker:
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    GREAT post, thank you!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I can't believe you're back again! :tongue:

Heck yeah it's still up - I still share it with people all the time, it's great info. :drinker:
    And *poof* deactivated again. Up and disappeared like a fart in the wind. :laugh: Why don't you stick around awhile??? Until next time...

I'll continue to share and bump this link though - it's great stuff.
  • 1waj123
    1waj123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it was covered in the thread, but starting line courtesy isn't covered. If it's your 1st race, starting towards the back is probably a good idea. Those starting right at the line are there to get on the podium, not just "finish" and will run right over you if you're in the way.
    From original post
    - Seed yourself properly in the race corral. Some races put up signs indicating where the 6 minute-milers should be, 7 minute-milers, 8, 9 and so on. The idea is that they don't want the slower people getting run over by the faster people. If this is your first race and you don't plan on running 5-7 minute-miles, just move yourself to the back half of the pack even if there are no signs.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Edit - deleted due to redundancy.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is awesome stuff!! I'm doing my first 5K in February. Thanks for sharing!
  • susank135
    susank135 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    This is great info for a newbie like me. First race in 3 weeks.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Bump for awesome info.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great info. I am bumping this for future reference.
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great info. bump
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    OMG me too. wore running pants that I bought the day before because it was so cold. I had planned on wearing shorts. They did not tie and they ended up falling down and showing everyone my hot pink undies!!!! had to tie my jacket around my waist to hold them up!!!!! ahhh, we joke about it now!!!!:laugh:
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Bump!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Bumping for any new racers this weekend! :drinker:
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your tips.
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bumping for my first 10k, 2 weeks tomorrow... Gulp!
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these great tips. Bumping this as prep for my first 5K on Saturday. :wink: