MY PERIOD IS RUINING MY PROGRESS

Options
I'm so hungry becuase of my period that I just ate a bowl of raisins and granola. For dinner all I had was some chicken, a small salad with light ranch dressing and water. I've barely eaten much but cereal bars today so will this set me back? I've been doing so well I just get so hungry when I'm on it. PLEASE HELP IM GOING CRAZY

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose?
    How much are eating daily?
    Can you make your diary public?

I many ladies on my FL who have lost TONS of weight...I think they still get their period every month....
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Also how old are you? Your period is not an excuse...it's going to happen for a very long time so you've got to figure out how to deal with it.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Overeating (which it doesn't even sound like you did) is absolutely fine to do when you have you period. Personally I indulge at those times because it helps me not want to stab people to death. Then everyone wins :-)

It's what you do for the rest of the month will make the most difference. Eating more for dinner will help with satiety. Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose?
    How much are eating daily?
    Can you make your diary public?

I many ladies on my FL who have lost TONS of weight...I think they still get their period every month....
    yup
  • chagnasty
    chagnasty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your period will not go away hun. The solution is to get it together and self control. If you are hungry but don't want to eat: then don't. Hunger is in your head. If this is too hard for you: eat celery.
    It's extremely low calorie and when you eat enough of it you feel full.

Don't be worried about if your munchie rampage today or any time will set you back because you have your whole life to lose the weight you think you gained. What's done is done. Look at this mid step as a pebble in your road to weight loss not a complete tornado or the end.
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It will only ruin your progress if you let it. One day of not-so-great eating is not gonna derail you, unless you use it as an excuse to do the same thing tomorrow and the next day. Suck it up and move on.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You've barely eaten and yet you're hungry because of your period?

I'm also curious about your diary.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    With only one small meal, no wonder! It sounds like you're trying to fill up on snacky/sweet stuff. Try filling up with protein and some fat. It really does help with hunger.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Overeating (which it doesn't even sound like you did) is absolutely fine to do when you have you period. Personally I indulge at those times because it helps me not want to stab people to death. Then everyone wins :-)

It's what you do for the rest of the month will make the most difference. Eating more for dinner will help with satiety. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but no. It's not okay to overeat for a week every month because you have a period. And I speak from a LOT of experience in this area. Due to health problems, in 2013 I had my period for EIGHT MONTHS without stopping. It hardly kept me from working out and counting calories, and I definitely didn't overeat for those eight months. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but seriously, girls get it together.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Ummmm.....this can be really taken out of context.

"Overeating" can make the difference between not losing at all or gaining. Getting into this habit could potentially cause you start feeling like you're spinning your wheels.

Also, as SunofaBeach mentioned.....how do you know you're hungry because of your period and not because you haven't eaten enough?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat at maintenance around my period because I am hungry. I eat more protein and exercise (exercise helps me with the cramps and mood swings) and don't worry about it.
    It sounds like you haven't eaten very much today, maybe that's why you're hungry?
    Let us see your diary? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How old are you? What's your goal weight?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    All of these helpful folks... with good questions....

Op_will_surely_deliver_RE_Weird_Video_Game_Facts_Part_7-s500x375-138152.jpg

C'mon OP. Help us help you.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Barely eaten? sounds like you may have your deficit set too high...

General recommendations for weekly weight loss goals should be based on a number of factors, the main one of which is how much weight you have to lose. The more weight that you have to lose the less severe the negative impact of being at a calorie deficit will have generally (see below for examples).

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

Obviously, the deficit that is right for you will depend on your personal circumstances and how well you deal with the deficit. For example, for someone who is morbidly obese, the health benefits of getting the weight off quickly will often outweigh the possible negative impact and, as such, a higher than 2 lb a week deficit may well be appropriate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This ALWAYS happens to me. It even gets to the point where i don't exercise... but i would say just try and keep yourself away from the bad foods and constantly drink water/green tea. if the craving is really bad maybe try and have some greek yogurt with fruit and some granola for a sweet treat
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

Ummmm.....this can be really taken out of context.

"Overeating" can make the difference between not losing at all or gaining. Getting into this habit could potentially cause you start feeling like you're spinning your wheels.

Also, as SunofaBeach mentioned.....how do you know you're hungry because of your period and not because you haven't eaten enough?

I thought it was clear I mean overeating when you have your period...? So just to explain: overeating once a month won't make the difference unless you are *massively* overeating, which it didn't sound like the OP was. And since I was providing advice specific to this situation, not in general, I stand by my comment.

But generally speaking? I think in most cases, if someone has a blow-out once a month it actually won't "make the difference". What you do on 12 days of the year doesn't magically erase what happens on the other 353 days.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Are you 12?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    When I've had almost nothing to eat all day, I tend to binge on whatever I can find too...

...and that's true whether or not I'm on my period.

True story.
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

I'm sorry, but no. It's not okay to overeat for a week every month because you have a period. And I speak from a LOT of experience in this area. Due to health problems, in 2013 I had my period for EIGHT MONTHS without stopping. It hardly kept me from working out and counting calories, and I definitely didn't overeat for those eight months. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but seriously, girls get it together.

Okay, there is clearly some ambiguity in what I wrote. Firstly, having your period for eight months sounds horrendous. I'm sorry you went through that. However, your experience is clearly the exception. I also didn't suggest the OP overeat for a whole week (average cycle is 3-5 days). I meant in response to the cravings she had been having. Generally speaking strong cravings are present on one or two days of the cycle. So, yeah, on those days it is absolutely fine to overeat if you want to. If you don't want to, then don't.
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat at maintenance around my period because I am hungry. I eat more protein and exercise (exercise helps me with the cramps and mood swings) and don't worry about it.

This. I do this & still lose weight the week of my period, I just work out a little harder. Like I'll usually jog another mile or 1.5 miles that week. Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    image-3.jpg

Mean? Maybe. But seriously?