MILK IS BAD FOR ME?! HA! well....(MUST READ*)

Options

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    sorry im to lazy to read it..
    but i just thought i ought to say.. we are NOT the only animals that drink milk from other species!! i have seen deer and baby horses drinking from goat.. i have seen cats drink dog milk and dogs drink cat.. my dog lows cows milk.. there was a story about how a cat had adopted a baby skunk the mother cat found..thats all i can think of off the top of my head.. but i am sure there are more...we are however the only ones that homogenize and pasteurize it...
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    What I gathered from grazing over the article was that it was mostly about additives and hormones in milk. It's the same in all processed foods, everything these days is pumped with hormones and additives. Even the meats people eat these days are pumped with hormones.

In Canada our milk is clean of any hormones, just milk, whether it be 1%, 2%, et cetera no hormones are added so I feel very comfortable drinking it here.
  • Boopa
    Boopa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What I gathered from grazing over the article was that it was mostly about additives and hormones in milk. It's the same in all processed foods, everything these days is pumped with hormones and additives. Even the meats people eat these days are pumped with hormones.

In Canada our milk is clean of any hormones, just milk, whether it be 1%, 2%, et cetera no hormones are added so I feel very comfortable drinking it here.
    I was about to post that too..the non hormone thing. I also think there is an antibiotic ban as well for all milk products but would have to double check that one.
    as for the OP..if you are interested I am currently reading "The China Study" Really eye opening. I still have yet to read the article you posted but look forward to it with all this buzz.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are arguing if they believe in evolution in a thread about milk.

(personally i think evolution is more believable than some random "body" pointing at the universe and saying "let there be light" - Big Bang Theory FTW (for the win))

I'm assuming evolution was brought into topic seeing as to how it was mentioned and argued during the latter half of the article...

________

As for the original post, I do not mean to spark debate at all...but I disagree (with this doctor, at least). I read the entire article (I'm a nerd, right? Definitely) and there are a few things I don't particularly like.

As was mentioned earlier, the article is over 18 years old. Surely more research has been completed on the subject since that time, although I'm guessing it may only serve as further proof that milk may not be the healthiest beverage of choice, especially with new advances in technology and society's obsession with "eating healthier", though most "healthy" options are just loaded with artificial sweeteners and preservatives.

I noticed several times the author would use examples such as "a group of students" or "some professionals" to back his evidence. He used several specific research examples, yes, but I feel as if most of it was biased. Sure, a small research group may have found evidence that milk may be linked to lung cancer, but it is also possible for a separate research group to find a link between lung cancer and wrapping paper (random example). Scenarios like that are common in many research groups.

HOWEVER, the author did provide examples that would cause me to think twice about drinking cow's milk- thus I'm sure he succeeded in his original point. =)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    neelia, I completely agree with you on his wording what I read seemed sketchy at best so I didn't bother completing it.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    neelia, I completely agree with you on his wording what I read seemed sketchy at best so I didn't bother completing it.

I felt that if he was going to put so much effort into a lengthy article, it should have included irrefutable evidence.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Indeed - 26 pages... Really???
  • niknok28
    Options
    don't let this stop you from posting!!!! I was serious when I said this was the first negative posting I've seen on here!!! I assure you everyone here is really positive and encouraging. It's the holidays- we're all in misery :) lol

lol thanks. I'm am SO not controversial haha so when this started a debate I'm like oh dang it.

In terms of outcry this reminds me of when I made the mistake of saying that my boyfriend and I do not own or watch television. You'd think I'd just stated that I enjoyed burning down orphanages or something.....though....sometimes it's enriching to hear things from someone else's perspective as long as it is not snarky. :)
  • niknok28
    Options
    :)

-Edited due to double post
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so many different things to touch on ...

Firstly, I'm lactose intolerant. I don't consume milk or dairy, for the most part. I use rice milk in cereal and I'll use cow's milk to make mashed potatoes, but only because I think rice milk would make them taste weird ... I guess it's probably not a noticeable difference. However, I love pizza, tacos and nachos, so there are times when I consume a bit of cheese, but I don't really eat any of those things very frequently.

Okay, and while I love evolution, and I've heard that westerners are supposed to be able to consume milk with no problem, I'm of the opinion that it still doesn't digest properly outside of infancy, and that even then it should be human breast milk. But whatever, I think milk is gross, if you love it, that's great, but at least avoid the stuff with the bad additives.

However, I will not agree (or agree to disagree on the idea) that rBST is okay for humans to have in their system. It's not even good for cows, how could it possibly be good for us to consume milk that's gathered from cows injected with it? Seriously, I'm not going to list the disgusting effects of growth hormone and what then infects, if I recall correctly, 90% of all the milk in the US (quick searches will show them). I really believe that a company who was a main manufacturer of Agent Orange should have nothing to do with agriculture in any way. (And I guess I'll just avoid the topic of terminator seeds and the other brilliant ways this company has come up with to kill small farms and make it so that all food is processed with things that are all the more likely to cause cancers and whose growing processes—along with the other factory farms—cause food to be tainted with bacteria such as E. coli.)

Oh, and ants only "milk" honeydew off of aphids, not actual milk. So it's not exactly the same, though since they're getting something off of them that provides the ants sustenance ... eh, I could go either way on that one.

Now, the other thing I wanted to mention is that the very best thing the internet can provide is intelligent discourse. Not all discourse is intelligent, but to be able to discuss ideas is a great thing, and in an environment where depravity is most common, we should be thankful that we can have a discussion where people may read this and learn something from it, even if it's not what we want them to take out of it. I think that if you post something online making any claim of any sort, you should not only expect, but perhaps even welcome others' opinions if they disagree with you. And if someone posts something that you find to be abhorrently untrue, you practically have an obligation to reply and say as much so that people who don't know any better don't fall into the trap of thinking it's true just because someone read it and provided a link. If nothing else, people should be able to provide opposing arguments—albeit in a polite manner, otherwise it doesn't really lead to intelligent discourse, just angry statements.

I once read a thread on here where someone tried to tell everyone that if they drank cold water with their meals they were going to develop cancer because it would slow the food down in your body. Now, that doesn't sound entirely implausible, but if you're eating foods that aren't full of chemicals and stuff, you should be okay, and trying to keep people from drinking water is horrible. Most everyone disagreed with that person, as they should have, in my opinion.

Also, Ash, you did ask for anyone who read it to provide their thoughts, so you're asking for opinions that don't necessarily line up with yours. I'm also not sure that MariSama44 was trying to criticize you, just disagree. Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side in all of this, but I think she was just trying to provide another side to it.

Jolean, I think that you were stoking the fire a little more than you should have, perhaps taking the comments out of context and basically negating the OP's directive to reply with thoughts on the topic, essentially saying, from my 3rd party perspective, that no one should disagree with others out of fear of hurting their feelings.

This is the internet. You're voicing your opinions where a bunch of people can read them, disagree with them and call you an idiot. Your feelings will be hurt at some point or another. Get over it, we're all (or most of us are, anyway, at least legally) adults.
  • bobdubya
    Options
    I did read your post. But I can't read the article. lol I love milk. Even though we are the only animal that drinks anothers milk doesn't make it bad. We also rule the planet. LOL We do a lot of things other animals don't do and we seem to be doing ok. For example we air condition our homes. Maybe the other animals aren't smart enough to invent the milking machines. LMAO I'm sure there are good reasons to not drink milk. ( but i dont want to know them ) LOL I love it too much. I do drink nonfat now though. Thats the best I can do. hehe
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I did not see any of the debates / counter arguments as being snarky or argumentative (you know, outside of a friendly debate argument) until the "anti-milkers" (for lack of a better word) jumped on people for disagreeing with them. The great thing about any topic is having two sides to it and not just taking things for what they are or seem. I don't think that just saying "yes I agree" or "I still drink milk" are the only appropriate responses to this topic. The orig poster posted this and said "I don't drink milk BECAUSE..." and those who replied said "I drink milk BECAUSE...". I didn't see a single person say "you're an idiot for believing that and not drinking milk" so where does the accusation of personal attacks fall into place? Stating a counter argument is not a personal attack by any means.

And as a side note, people who don't believe in evolution, per se, can still believe in adaptation. How do they explain different skin colors, body builds, and hair texture of different races, etc? If you believe in Adam and Eve starting the world's population, then all the ancestors must have adapted to their environment in some way to have a rainbow population now. I doubt that a black woman (given the theory Adam / Eve originated in Africa) suddenly gave birth to a Chinese baby... so why can' people adapt, or god forbid use the word evolve, to drink milk, eat meat, eat other foods, etc.

PS, second side note, as I originally stated, I think the article focused more on the ill effects of hormones etc in milk and not milk itself. Even the lung cancer citing referred in comparison to those who ate lower fat diets, not just those who did not drink milk. The author also used phrases along the line of (I can't remember exactly I read it yesterday), "I think" and "in my opinion" which, if this is a scientific paper don't really belong.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    My parents and my brother have recently (within the past 2 years) found out that they are all allergic to dairy. They only drink soy or almond milk now. Since I don't live with them I continued to drink regular milk. At times I feel like I have an allergic reaction to it and other times I just try to ignore it because I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP MILK! Well my mom keeps pushing me, "Ash, drink almond milk instead. Ash, you're allergic to dairy, I can see them symptoms. Ash, regular cow's milk is bad for you."
    WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY MOM??? Milk is BAD for me? HA! Hardly. Milk gives my bones calcium to prevent osteoperosis. Milk has protein. Milk is part of the food pyramid! Haven't you seen the Got Milk? commercials? everyone in the commercials look incredible- it must be because they "got milk!"
    Now don't get me wrong, I actually like the taste of almond milk. I have no problem drinking it. But that would mean going out and buying my own milk rather than just drinking the regular milk in the house, and why would I do that? Well after so many weeks of my mom telling me to switch to almond milk and being told to stop drinking milk and maybe I'd lose some weight since milk is fattening, I decided to do some research. I set out to prove my mom wrong, that milk IS good for us. And I came across just one article that began to change my mind in the first few small paragraphs. Yep. That's all it took for me. ONE ARTICLE. Of course I read more than just the one article, but this one had me convinced. Now my mind is completely changed and I'm on the opposite team. Milk is bad for us!! We are the only creature that drinks ANOTHER animals milk. That can't be right... Well if this interests you I STRONGLY urge you to read this article. Yes, it's a bit lengthy but it explains EVERYTHING so much better than I could (plus this is already getting long, if you are even still reading ;) haha)
    I learned so much from this article. It is VERY interesting and informative. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, they will not be drinking regular cow's milk.
    If you decide to read the article, or you've actually read this whole post lol please respond and let me know your thoughts!! i am very curious to see what my fellow MFPers think regarding this topic!

so without further ado...here is the webiste :)

http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

There are a lot of things out there that they "say" is good for us that aren't...........

Among those foods are:

Soy
    Milk
    Grains
  • Grokette
    Options
    Ugh, so many different things to touch on ...

Firstly, I'm lactose intolerant. I don't consume milk or dairy, for the most part. I use rice milk in cereal and I'll use cow's milk to make mashed potatoes, but only because I think rice milk would make them taste weird ... I guess it's probably not a noticeable difference. However, I love pizza, tacos and nachos, so there are times when I consume a bit of cheese, but I don't really eat any of those things very frequently.

Okay, and while I love evolution, and I've heard that westerners are supposed to be able to consume milk with no problem, I'm of the opinion that it still doesn't digest properly outside of infancy, and that even then it should be human breast milk. But whatever, I think milk is gross, if you love it, that's great, but at least avoid the stuff with the bad additives.

However, I will not agree (or agree to disagree on the idea) that rBST is okay for humans to have in their system. It's not even good for cows, how could it possibly be good for us to consume milk that's gathered from cows injected with it? Seriously, I'm not going to list the disgusting effects of growth hormone and what then infects, if I recall correctly, 90% of all the milk in the US (quick searches will show them). I really believe that a company who was a main manufacturer of Agent Orange should have nothing to do with agriculture in any way. (And I guess I'll just avoid the topic of terminator seeds and the other brilliant ways this company has come up with to kill small farms and make it so that all food is processed with things that are all the more likely to cause cancers and whose growing processes—along with the other factory farms—cause food to be tainted with bacteria such as E. coli.)

Oh, and ants only "milk" honeydew off of aphids, not actual milk. So it's not exactly the same, though since they're getting something off of them that provides the ants sustenance ... eh, I could go either way on that one.

Now, the other thing I wanted to mention is that the very best thing the internet can provide is intelligent discourse. Not all discourse is intelligent, but to be able to discuss ideas is a great thing, and in an environment where depravity is most common, we should be thankful that we can have a discussion where people may read this and learn something from it, even if it's not what we want them to take out of it. I think that if you post something online making any claim of any sort, you should not only expect, but perhaps even welcome others' opinions if they disagree with you. And if someone posts something that you find to be abhorrently untrue, you practically have an obligation to reply and say as much so that people who don't know any better don't fall into the trap of thinking it's true just because someone read it and provided a link. If nothing else, people should be able to provide opposing arguments—albeit in a polite manner, otherwise it doesn't really lead to intelligent discourse, just angry statements.

I once read a thread on here where someone tried to tell everyone that if they drank cold water with their meals they were going to develop cancer because it would slow the food down in your body. Now, that doesn't sound entirely implausible, but if you're eating foods that aren't full of chemicals and stuff, you should be okay, and trying to keep people from drinking water is horrible. Most everyone disagreed with that person, as they should have, in my opinion.

Also, Ash, you did ask for anyone who read it to provide their thoughts, so you're asking for opinions that don't necessarily line up with yours. I'm also not sure that MariSama44 was trying to criticize you, just disagree. Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side in all of this, but I think she was just trying to provide another side to it.

Jolean, I think that you were stoking the fire a little more than you should have, perhaps taking the comments out of context and basically negating the OP's directive to reply with thoughts on the topic, essentially saying, from my 3rd party perspective, that no one should disagree with others out of fear of hurting their feelings.

This is the internet. You're voicing your opinions where a bunch of people can read them, disagree with them and call you an idiot. Your feelings will be hurt at some point or another. Get over it, we're all (or most of us are, anyway, at least legally) adults.

Your post goes along with mine.............

For those of you that shop local and buy your foods from local farmers, farmers markets, CSA memberships, etc., I am urging you to sign this petition.

Please go to http://www.ftcldf.org/petitions/pnum1061.php to petition bill S.510, the FDA Food Safety Modernization ActPassed in the Senate, this bill now heads to the House where, if passed, it will affect your ability to obtain locally-produced food. This is the large, industrial food lobby at work.

The lobbying groups are trying to get many regulatory measures in place for the local, small farmer that is providing GOOD food for us that will run local farmers out of business.

The FDA is trying to protect the factory farms for meat, eggs, dairy and produce.

Think of all the recent recalls on vegetables, fruits, eggs, meats. All came from factory farms. You don't hear about these recalls from contamination from local farms.

Many of you want to coin me as some conspiracy theorist - I am not. I see what the government and the Food Lobby in favor of Factory Farms is hard at work doing.

We need to stop this once and for all. All it is doing in the end is making people sick.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Milk is kind of a hot-button topic for a lot of people. My parents had me drink a glass of milk every single morning for about 18 years. I can't tell you how many times I should have broken a bone but didn't. I was a very active kid - played football from 5th grade through high school. I believe some of that luck can be attributed to my getting sufficient calcium as a kid.

But that's kind of the point: That substance that mommy and daddy swore by (and still does) is now being challenged. We've now got people telling us that mom and dad were poisoning us all our lives and that even though we're perfectly healthy individuals, we are literally drinking something that is likely to kill us. I've heard this argument before - no need to go off on the original poster about it. She isn't the first one to bring this topic up.

The way I see it is this: There are a LOT of things in this world that we probably shouldn't be consuming. Milk is certainly not the worst of them. If we cut out all the things out of our diet that has been blamed for causing any type of sickness or disease, then we wouldn't be able to eat anything. That includes vegetables (how many salmonella cases have we seen with lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, etc?) .

Make your own choices as to what you want to put into your body. Purely from a nutritional standpoint, Milk is fine. It's a reasonable amount of calories (especially at breakfast time) and gives you a dosing of some nutrients that your body needs. If you choose to find a different way to get those vitamins/nutrients, then good for you. I personally don't drink much milk... I got my fill of it when I was younger and it just doesn't taste good to me anymore. But I'd never avoid it... less I am a hypocrite for not avoiding all the other foods in the world that could give me cancer/disease.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Verrrrryyy interesting article!!! thank you so much for sharing. i did read it, and i am very interested to learn more about it.
    it is defiantly making me think twice about drinking milk... good thing i like Soy milk anyways :D
  • Grokette
    Options
    Verrrrryyy interesting article!!! thank you so much for sharing. i did read it, and i am very interested to learn more about it.
    it is defiantly making me think twice about drinking milk... good thing i like Soy milk anyways :D

Maybe think about switching to Almond milk.............

I got this article about soy in my inbox this morning and there is a lot of evidence that goes along with it...........

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dangers-summarized.aspx
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The problem with soy—of course in my own opinion—is that most soy has been genetically modified. Unless the label reads "organic soy," of course (but I've heard even then that it's got the GM taint).

I'm entirely opposed to the genetic modification of any of our foods, so I don't eat soy and I try to eat only organic corn.

Of course, that said, it's really hard to avoid in every form and fashion. You have to be constantly vigilant of where your food is coming from.

I would avoid soy milk, personally.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Maybe think about switching to Almond milk.............

I got this article about soy in my inbox this morning and there is a lot of evidence that goes along with it...........

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dangers-summarized.aspx

well damn.... ha ha, that doesn't sound very good... thank you for sharing that!!! :D
    now i am just plain CONFUSED lol
  • Grokette
    Options
    The problem with soy—of course in my own opinion—is that most soy has been genetically modified. Unless the label reads "organic soy," of course (but I've heard even then that it's got the GM taint).

I'm entirely opposed to the genetic modification of any of our foods, so I don't eat soy and I try to eat only organic corn.

Of course, that said, it's really hard to avoid in every form and fashion. You have to be constantly vigilant of where your food is coming from.

I would avoid soy milk, personally.

Over the past year, I have become super and hyper-vigilant about my food sources.

Meat, eggs, dairy, fruits and veggies are all I eat and come from all LOCAL sources and only get what is in season. Local, sustainable foods from a CSA, local farms and local meat market.