MFP telling me I'm not consuming enough calories

Options

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Being under 1200 sometimes is OK; I don't think forcing food down is necessary, especially if you've eaten a lot of whole, nutritious foods that day. But don't make it a standard! Make sure you do eat when you're hungry.

I had 1150 calories yesterday, including a big dinner of a pork chop, quinoa and broccoli, and I was REALLY full. (I added a piece of chocolate just for fun later, but I didn't need it.) But some days I eat every last bit of my 1500 goal, plus all of my exercise calories too. It averages out.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

If what you are saying is that you have your daily calories set to 1200, you don't feel hungry enough to eat that many, and you work out - but don't eat any of those calories back either? Then NO - that is not alright.

It means that your net cals are way below what your body needs. It means that you are probably NOT getting the proper nutrition. It means that this is not sustainable as a change in your habits long term. I'm not going to tell you what to do - but if you're wise and want the weight to stay off, start reading about proper nutrition to lose weight. Read about how your hormones react to very low calorie diets and how this effects your hunger and satiety signals. Read and learn.

ETA: a spoonful of peanut butter is my go to for days when I need a boost to reach my calories. Good luck.

Peanut butter is my weakness...if I go for a spoonful I leave with 4. However, I love this idea for boosting calories...it takes care of a guilty pleasure and the calories! Thank you!

It used to be a weakness of mine too. But, I have had to learn to moderate my habits of eating too much. It's the most important lesson we can learn. My opinion? If we don't learn this - we just keep repeating our past mistakes with food. I take spoons of pb and freeze them. They sort of taste like fudge then. Just grab one cube when you need a boost of cals.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    A lot of these comments are knocking on nutrition, but what I'm eating is lots of vegetables and grains and fats, so I am balanced but you have to eat a ton of vegetables to get as many calories as I need,

Is there a reason you've cut out meats? (If you have, that is) Lean protein is an important part of that balance. In addition to meeting the calorie goals, are you working on trying to keep your macros fulfilled? (carbs/proteins/fats)
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    She didn't say she didn't like how MFP works. She is simply asking for an outsider's input and advice. Putting something so harsh may make others not want to ask for help.
    If you don't like how MFP works maybe don't use it?

She said,
    The app tells me I'm not eating enough (under 1200) and it bugs me! I don't want to force feed myself, and if I'm getting just under 1200 calories I don't know that it should matter. I also work out just about everyday, so that adds more calories to eat but I just don't want to.

This states: My goal is [minimum] 1200 calories a day. I don't reach it. MFP, doing exactly what MFP is designed to do, tells me I am not eating enough. This bugs me - I don't like it, and I don't think it matters anyway; I don't want to.

AKA: I don't like how it works.

Thanks for picking apart how I hastily typed something early this morning. You can leave my thread now, because I've already explained that I DO like how this app works, I was just looking for some advice. I thought people around here were more supportive?

You asked a legitimate question. Do not be concerned with the butthurt.

I have a similar issue as you. My TDEE less 25% tells me to eat something like 2100 calories, however, I stick with the MFP number WITHOUT eating back exercise calories (1750). This is what I feel comfortable with, and it works for me, and works well. I eat about 6 times a day, and am only sedentary for about 4 hours of the day, while being active the other 12 (not counting sleeping of course). If you are feeling TIRED or WEAK but still "full" then that is when, in my opinion, you need to change your foods. A piece of toast covered with peanut butter can boost your calories without adding such an intense feeling of 'stuffed'.

Pick what works, people tell me all the time that I under eat and it's not healthy yada yada. Perhaps in the future I will need to raise my calories, but for now what works for me, works for me.

Andrew
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    It was not easy for me to eat 1200 calories a day. I really had to work at it. what my doctor told me was that because you are not eating enough calories your body is storing fat so that it will have something to live off of. Once I started to eat 1200 calories and more when I worked out I started to lose weight faster. It might sound counter productive but you have to eat to lose.
  • shans129
    shans129 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    She didn't say she didn't like how MFP works. She is simply asking for an outsider's input and advice. Putting something so harsh may make others not want to ask for help.

She said,
    The app tells me I'm not eating enough (under 1200) and it bugs me! I don't want to force feed myself, and if I'm getting just under 1200 calories I don't know that it should matter. I also work out just about everyday, so that adds more calories to eat but I just don't want to.

This states: My goal is [minimum] 1200 calories a day. I don't reach it. MFP, doing exactly what MFP is designed to do, tells me I am not eating enough. This bugs me - I don't like it, and I don't think it matters anyway; I don't want to.

AKA: I don't like how it works.

Or maybe "it bugs her" that she has done everything she thinks she should and now she is asking for advice. Eating when you are not hungry isn't easy and maybe that "bugs her".
    This is the internet and just like a text message, you sometimes cannot tell one's tone from simply text alone. Obviously, by reading other's responses and her replies, she is appreciative of the help and advice.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to be rude, but I never get how people who are overweight say they can't eat 1200 cals(which most toddlers have no problem eating). If you physically can't eat that much, maybe see your doctor because a normal healthy person can eat 1500 cal easily. I can easily eat 2000-2500.

Try eating a piece of chocolate, avocado, peanut butter, nuts, etc
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can see where you're coming from - eating when you're not hungry is not easy, especially when you want to lose weight.

If I were you I would either;
    1) have meals higher in calories so you meet your goals without necessarily eating more and more often, e.g. have 2 eggs for breakfast rather than one, etc.

2) plan out your meals in advance, taking into account your exercise so you know what you need to eat that day. Set yourself times to eat, e.g. every 2-3hours and ensure you eat. It makes a difference what you eat too, you're not going to want anything heavy or rich if you're not hungry, but perhaps a handful of nuts or some fruit with greek yoghurt?

I think the main thing is to consume some more calories in the meals I already have planned. I do plan my meals out each night for the next day, and I'm thinking breakfast is where I can beef things up a bit. I have a very easy schedule for eating due to my desk job, which actually helps alot. A lot of these comments are knocking on nutrition, but what I'm eating is lots of vegetables and grains and fats, so I am balanced but you have to eat a ton of vegetables to get as many calories as I need, haha. I really appreciate yours and everyone's advice, this is why I posted. Thank you!

Your diary isn't open so I cannot comment directly on what you're eating. It's all about trial and error. For a week you could stick to roughly the same meals and just up the portions slightly to meet your goals. Then another week increase the frequency of meals, i.e. breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, and see which method you prefer and what suits your lifestyle. I hope you come to a happy (and successful) conclusion! :smile:

*ADDITION - are you weighing all your food? If not, you could be underestimating how much you're eating. Perhaps start weighing your food first, then see if you're really eating 1200kcals before you make any changes. Just a thought...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My post appears to have been missed. Add some calorie dense foods to the veggies and grains you've already been eating.

These can make great additions to salads:
    eggs
    bacon
    cheese
    chicken
    avocado
    pine nuts
    dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
    full fat dressings (I like just a simple balsamic and olive oil blend, but mix it up with some horseradish mustard. Mmm)

You can have some quick snacks of a spoonful of nut butter. I too could eat a ton, but I bought a scale, measure out one serving, and then put the jar up. When I first started, I'd have three spoonfuls (but still fit it in my calories). Now I have better control. Moderation can be learned.

And all the foods I listed above can be added to all sorts of things. I love a cold bean salad with some corn, avocados, and red wine vinegar. I make a similar salad with grains too.

Cook your veggies with your preferred oil (I use olive, but I've hear coconut oil is really good).

There are tons of ways to add calories without adding a lot of volume.
  • mandakittykitty
    mandakittykitty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My post appears to have been missed. Add some calorie dense foods to the veggies and grains you've already been eating.

These can make great additions to salads:
    eggs
    bacon
    cheese
    chicken
    avocado
    pine nuts
    dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
    full fat dressings (I like just a simple balsamic and olive oil blend, but mix it up with some horseradish mustard. Mmm)

You can have some quick snacks of a spoonful of nut butter. I too could eat a ton, but I bought a scale, measure out one serving, and then put the jar up. When I first started, I'd have three spoonfuls (but still fit it in my calories). Now I have better control. Moderation can be learned.

And all the foods I listed above can be added to all sorts of things. I love a cold bean salad with some corn, avocados, and red wine vinegar. I make a similar salad with grains too.

Cook your veggies with your preferred oil (I use olive, but I've hear coconut oil is really good).

There are tons of ways to add calories without adding a lot of volume.

This is all great advice, thank you! I do measure everything I eat and have been shying away from high calorie oils (I love EVOO), so I think I just need to rework my mind frame and eat it! A lot of my problem here is mental, not physical, and I know I can up the calories and be OK. I really apprecaite your feedback!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    Im not trying to be rude, but I never get how people who are overweight say they can't eat 1200 cals(which most toddlers have no problem eating). If you physically can't eat that much, maybe see your doctor because a normal healthy person can eat 1500 cal easily. I can easily eat 2000-2500.

Oh I can eat that many calories, but after a month of eating light it's half mental guilt and half just feeling satisfied on not eating as much. The guilt is really starting to take it's toll though, and I need to stop that *kitten*. All of the replies here have really helped me realize that, though it's taken me to read between the lines to notice. Thank you for your feedback.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    It was not easy for me to eat 1200 calories a day. I really had to work at it. what my doctor told me was that because you are not eating enough calories your body is storing fat so that it will have something to live off of. Once I started to eat 1200 calories and more when I worked out I started to lose weight faster. It might sound counter productive but you have to eat to lose.

You're so right. Thank you for your feedback!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Some people have yo-yo dieted so often that their metabolism is a bit messed up, and actually they don't eat a lot. I did that for a long time, I thought I had to starve to lose weight and my body just got used to such low calories.

When I first joined MFP I was often eating less than 1200, working out 5 times a week, and looking after 2 young children. I'd been doing that for a year. I did that when I was at university and into my early 20s. I lost a lot of weight, but not sure I was so healthy with it. When I joined MFP and read the forums, I realised I could eat more and upped to 1500 calories and continued to lose weight. It was hard at first though as i was in the mindset i should eat 1200. Now I'm nearly 33 weeks pregnant I aim for 2000.

As other posters have said, go for foods like peanut butter. I love peanut butter with apple as a snack.
  • mandakittykitty
    Options

It used to be a weakness of mine too. But, I have had to learn to moderate my habits of eating too much. It's the most important lesson we can learn. My opinion? If we don't learn this - we just keep repeating our past mistakes with food. I take spoons of pb and freeze them. They sort of taste like fudge then. Just grab one cube when you need a boost of cals.
    ]
    OMG. Mind = blown. Freeze it!? I WILL! Yum!
  • mandakittykitty
    Options
    Is there a reason you've cut out meats? (If you have, that is) Lean protein is an important part of that balance. In addition to meeting the calorie goals, are you working on trying to keep your macros fulfilled? (carbs/proteins/fats)

Oh I still eat meat! I have added beans for extra fiber with my protein, too. I have replaced crappy snacks like chips and cookies with vegetables, and I also have replaced eating rice and noodles with my meat to eating fresh vegetables, too. I love my veggies but was NOT eating enough. I do fill my macros, though I find I actually go over protein and sugar everyday (sugar is ALWAYS from the fruit I eat, though!)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

]
    OMG. Mind = blown. Freeze it!? I WILL! Yum!

OMG me too!!! Maybe even dipped in dark chocolate as an extra treat!
  • mlatino5
    mlatino5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had sort of the same problem and was talking to my husband about the same thing last night. Thanks for putting up this post, seeing what everyone had to say helped me realize that I really need to try to have a net of 1200 calories. It's hard sometimes because I get caught up in the calories and how hard it is to burn them when I am working out. But I did notice the past few days that my energy has been down, I fall asleep easily at night which to me is good but I am falling asleep way too early. I pretty much pass out on the couch and sometimes don't make it to the bedroom. Thanks guys for all the replies on this post, it helped me out!
  • DeziT123
    DeziT123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This string was so helpful to me as I struggle with the same problem! Thanks everyone!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Oh I still eat meat! I have added beans for extra fiber with my protein, too. I have replaced crappy snacks like chips and cookies with vegetables, and I also have replaced eating rice and noodles with my meat to eating fresh vegetables, too. I love my veggies but was NOT eating enough. I do fill my macros, though I find I actually go over protein and sugar everyday (sugar is ALWAYS from the fruit I eat, though!)
    I view protein as a minimum, and MFP sets goals pretty low. I aim for 140g every day based off my weight (1g per pound LBM or kg of total weight). Also, I don't track sugar. It isn't the devil, and you're tracking carbs. Sugar is a carb, so you're essentially tracking it twice. I replaced sugar with something more useful, like fiber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Wow, I was really hoping for more positive comments :/ this is my first post and so far I'm feeling a bit hurt. I came to this app/website for SUPPORT. I love the app and credit it to my success!

welcome to the internet….

seriously, how did you get obese/out of shape, if you can't consume more than 1200 calories a day? Posts like this always baffle my mind.

Add a serving of ice cream a day to your consumption that will give you an extra 200 calories…problem solved.