Any other short torso/long leg females?

Options

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, longer torso/short legs at 5'6". I never really realized it though until I was standing next to a woman who is almost 6'. We were having a conversation and I was looking up at her until we sat down and ended up shoulder to shoulder. I probably wouldn't have even thought about it had she not commented on it. So if I sit down I guess I look taller!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Nah, the smaller boobs probably make your torso longer and more streamlined...I like that look :) Try having 30D on a teeny short torso! :'(

I'm with you, except w/ DDs. And here I was hoping that losing weight would encourage some loss in that area. Oh, well.

I will say that it is nice to be able to buy most regular pants without getting them hemmed. Kind of unusual for someone who's 5'3". Designer pants still need a trip to the tailor, though.
  • skinnydahl
    skinnydahl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 with a 35" inseam (yes.. actually 50% of my height) so I've always had this problem! I understand now I have will always have a bigger frame and wider hips and the only thing I can do about THAT is deal with it (:

I have a really hard time with my lower abdominals and weight on the back of my hips. It's the only place right now that really bothers me still! Anyone have any tips for burning those last bits of fat?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I also have the long legs and short midsection. The long legs part is nice, but I do look pretty stocky elsewhere. Well, actually my legs aren't little, just long, lol. I'm built like a 5'6" Amazon, basically, but completely without the superhero waistline! So like a 6' Amazon who didn't grow in the middle :D:D

My arms also come down so far on my legs I joke that I stunted my growth in the middle. It really does look like I was supposed to get taller there. Everything else is in great proportion for a nice big, tall girl otherwise. Kinda strange :)

I like to wear longer shirts with a fairly loose belt that hangs lower than my real waistline. And more fitted tops are better because I also have the larger boobs that need to be differentiated from the rest of my middle or everything looks like it sticks out the same amount. It doesn't; there's just not enough good space there for fabric to drape, so shirts need to be somewhat fitted. Fitted and long is great.

I like how I look in just a jogbra, because you can tell I'm just thick/wide/stocky and not as fat as clothes make me look. But I'm too shy to ever go to a gym or anything like that, lol.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes - I'm the same 5ft 4 and "short waisted " All extra weight is carried in the lower torso. This means that when I am overweight as now, sitting down all day at work is very uncomfortable because bottom of bra band and wiring digs into midriff, and waist of trousers pushes up on the same area and almost meets.

Buying clothes is difficult as things that are meant to drape nicely end up bunching around the middle.. and the photo of the lady in the shorts could be me (when |'m not overweight!!)

Skirts that are meant to sit on the waist slide up to meet my bra... good in one way sometimes, but means that you can never wear a blouse tucked in or you look ridiculous. Unless you buy one loose enough with lots of drape to hang over, then it makes you look like you have a huge blocky waist. And forget about things like jumpsuits, dungarees etc which are meant for people with a normal length between crotch and shoulder!!!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am about 5'6 and yeah I have long legs but short torso, my pelvis is huge and starts almost right under the rib cage. But I don't have so much problems with it, because it also gives me the much wanted hour glass figure, even when I am overweight, so no complaining here! Only problem I am really dealing with is that stockings always slide off my butt, my waste is just too high...
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have this problem but hey the awesome thing about it is, we can rock corsets! Yep, we look amazing in corsets. Don't believe. When you get to goal put in a decent amount of money into a real corset and you will not regret it. =D

and soooo this, YAY! :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm also short torso long legged. i'm 5'5 but my inseam is 32 and i have a little bit over 1" space between the end of my rib cage and the start of my pelvis. i also have a combo of a small rib cage and tig ole bitties.

when i was previously at my goal size a long long time ago, i pretty much looked like a pair of breasts stuck on legs :laugh:

one of the things i avoid is direct ab work because 6 packs on a short torso makes me look like i have a thicker waist than i would actually have (i know this because there was a time in my life i had a 6 pack). also keep in mind that unless your doing some pretty serious workouts and calorie restrictions i's going to be hard to get rid of all belly fat. i think this is partly because for those of us with short torso, we have have a tiny amount of space for our bodies o pack in vital organs, so any visceral fat your body needs to protect organs are going to be a factor when you have a teeny space for it to go.

for pants, i only go with mid rise that sit at navel. back in the day before mid rise, i had better luck with men's jeans because i could go by "waist" size (which was really my hip size) and inseam.

Yes - I'm the same 5ft 4 and "short waisted " All extra weight is carried in the lower torso. This means that when I am overweight as now, sitting down all day at work is very uncomfortable because bottom of bra band and wiring digs into midriff,

actually sounds like you're wearing a combo of the wrong style and the wrong size (band too large). wrong styles for short waists can very often mean that when you sit, the sides of the underwire push up so that they end up digging into your armpit. i found that demi bras and balconettes work well for my short waist. certain "full coverage" bras work. brands that i pretty much trust with full coverage on short waists are wacoal and curvy kate. freya and panache have gorgeous bras/panty sets in my size but their full coverage bras have yet to meet the sit test
  • APAS91
    APAS91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    & there's me thinking that I was the only one!

I recently found out that I'm 5'6, which surprised me and my dad as I look taller. Trousers and jeans are a serious struggle for me here in the UK as I'm a 36' inside leg and there are not really many high street shops that cater to such lengths.

My chest is currently a 34F, so I never really noticed this ST/LL dilemma. It's only when I realised that I was forever making my jeans near enough high wasted; otherwise I'd end up with loose fabric at the back and front ???? It's far from a cute look... I totally understand the problem of when you sit down that your torso seems to squish together ha!

I'm currently trying to loose my little muffin top which just doesn't seem to be happening ????
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I'm with you. There's like one inch between my waist and underbust. So freaking irritating.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Try not to laugh too hard imagining what high-waisted 80s jeans looked like on me. There was about an inch between the top of my pants and the bottom of my bra! :laugh:
    You just made me shudder remembering that style of pants.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I am 5'6" with short stubby legs and a long torso. I have to wear petite pants because regulars are way too long on me, even skinny jeans. I'd much rather have your problem than mine. When I do get a flat stomach, I'm going to look out of proportion! at least you have a more "desired" body type lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm verrrry short-waisted and it's a pain in the...waist? My love handles are so high that they hang over every pair of pants except for the ones that go up to my belly button. So annoying.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Yup. This is me. I have no waistline either, to make things even better :-) I sometimes buy petites in things like jackets, usually only with a 3/4 sleeve though, cause my arms match my legs in being a bit on the long side. Talls in jeans/pants and petites in tops. Lol. But yeah, I hold my extra mainly in the middle. Must be because we are compact there.

It always cracks me up when I get into people's cars (like my dad or boyfriend) who are about 4" or more taller than my 5'6" and the only think I have to move is the rearview mirror.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, 5'3 and a 32" inseam, but a short upper body. I have tall friends and always wear heels, but if my heels are too high, it can look like I'm on stilts because my legs go on forever and my upper body is so short in comparison.

I didn't notice until I was sitting next to my 5'7 ex on the couch with my legs stretched out (his were too), and he made a comment that my legs were longer than his!
  • Sissy864
    Options
    Re: short torso'ed - yes, I had a wedding dress custom made for me years ago and the seamstress was gob-smacked by the lack of distance between my bottom rib and the top of my hip-bone. I am 5'6 3/4 and I am often mistaken for being really tall, but it's just my legs. If I am driving in a car, I sort of have to peer over the steeling wheel like a little old lady! :) I too hang onto my weight right around my middle - vexing.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a shortie anyway at just 5' but petite trousers are always too short for me and buying a dress or swimsuit is a nightmare!

I've never had a waist, my ribcage comes down past where my waist should be. When i was pregnant with my son (now 16) I looked 6 months gone by 4 months and by 9 months every one was convinced he was twins or more!...the problem being my body was so short the only place to go was out! He was a healthy but not huge 7.5lb.

Also I've found my ideal skirt length is way above my knee or I look really short and dumpy. That fine for now but as I'm already 43 how many more years can I get away with mini skirts?
  • trinamericangal
    trinamericangal Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know this thread is a bit older but in trying to tackle this genetic issue during the past 6 months, I figured I'd share what I've learned:
    For my short waisted ladies - especially those who are especially busty, it's critical to keep your weight as low as possible as breasts are mostly comprised of fat. This fat then migrates to underbust, armpits, and back which causes unsightly back rolls and makes your upper body look stockier than it already is naturally. The best way to combat this is what most ladies have mentioned, which is to buy minimizing bras, ensure your bra is fitted properly and provides the most lift. Make note of the brand name and size of the bra if needed and stock up! In addition, hit the gym and focus on light core exercises, lat workouts, and chest presses depending how much you want/need to tone up in the back and chest area. The lats and chest workouts are especially important to firm and tone the underlying muscle which simultaneously burns the extra fat that is exaggerating your already short waist.

In addition, for my short waisted ladies with long, thinner legs. You'll need to squat heavy in order to bulk up your thighs which will bring your entire body into proportion. Starting out, it's best to consult a personal trainer who specializes in bodybuilding as consistency, reps, and weight is especially important. Cardio 1-2 times per week for 40-60 minutes with a sweat belt will help in widdling your middle. Using the abductor machines on heavy weight, low reps will build your glutes and eventually give you the appearance of wider hips. Remember, we're trying to manipulate proportions here. A boned waist trainer would help with controlling overeating and will contour your middle when wearing clothes. Good luck finding one that works for us short waisted gals though. The ones I find always dig into my hip bones and I have to cut slits in them to make them fit comfortably!

This may sound like tons of work but if the body type we're stuck with is getting you down, the hard work will certainly pay off. Work this into your lifestyle and you'll see results. Cutting meat out of my diet and avoiding eating after 6pm has also worked for me but that's another topic entirely!

Good luck, all!

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That sounds normal/advantageous.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ooooh yes. 5'8 here, short torso, huge boobs, long legs. I've been envied but some days I really wish I were more proportionate!!