what's up with intermittent fasting?

Options
what's up with this controversial topic of intermittent fasting? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts was on the subject?

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    dImyJ.gif
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how scientifically supported it is, but I tried it myself for a month once and, while I did lose fat, I was inclined to put it down to the fact that I had such a hard time eating all my calories in that small time alotted, that I rarely went a single calorie over the target level.

I also found it really uncomfortable on my schedule, because it usually meant working out about an hour after eating. :/
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You should pick up the book 5:2 The Fast Diet. It's very enlightening about how intermittent fasting is good for our bodies. My sister and I have been on the 5:2 for about 2 months now. Both of us are loving not just the wieght loss benefits, but the cleansing feeling. I suggest you read up on it.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Its controversial because it goes against the Bro Science that says you NEED to eat Breakfast in the morning to get you energy for the day. It is great tool for fat lose especially if you are able to train fasted. I have been doing it for about 6 months now. I follow the 16:8 IF model. I break my fast at noon and don't eat after 8 p.m. So i just skip breakfast.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    what's up with this controversial topic of intermittent fasting? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts was on the subject?

Which version do you want to talk about?
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i think it is a very silly modern term for what we used to call "skipping meals". sure you eat less if you skip a meal. calories in calories out bla bla bla. its really not that deep.
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I really just wanted to know why the topic is so controversial and why people view it as bad? Its not like you don't eat, its just a period of time of your choosing where you don't eat. Apparently its accelerates fat loss and is good for you.
    Thank you for the replies.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    It has a lot of science behind it. Well the leangains and eat stop eat methods do. There are a lot of trendy versions coming out that aren't as well founded.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Love it. I do I.F. daily on a 16/8 plan. Takes some getting used to, but once your body adapts the fat pretty much melts away as long as you are eating right and exercising.

Training fasted FTW.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    i think it is a very silly modern term for what we used to call "skipping meals". sure you eat less if you skip a meal. calories in calories out bla bla bla. its really not that deep.

This is misinformed at best, ignorant at worst. It has ZERO to do with "skipping meals"...I consume as many calories in a day as someone who eats traditional hours. The difference is I train in a fasted state, which curbs cravings, stabilizes insulin levels, increases growth hormone, and mobilizes fat stores.

I think you need to do some legit research before you call it "silly".
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

I like this, was very useful.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I realized I was doing it without even knowing it's a thing. :) I don't do it all the time but it's just a way of scheduling your calorie intake. I personally find zig zagging my calories throughout the week far more advantageous, but that's just my body and how I react to food.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I train "fasting" though not on purpose (I go at 5 am and just can't eat that early) a couple days per week. But what I do find is that if I work out super hard on empty, I end up with 'sour stomach' which sucks in the worst way, so I end up drinking some milk or something before I go usually. Also, there is no way I could wait to eat until noon every day (unless I slept til 11). I think it works for some, but not for others, just like anything else.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Its just another way to achieve calorie deficit. Skipping dinner works for me really well.
  • Krisydee103
    Options
    Actually you eat the same amount of calories but in a allotted period. Seems a lot of people are misinformed about the subject.
  • Krisydee103
    Options
    dImyJ.gif

LMAO
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For me, it did actually help drop my fat % a fair few points and I found I could exercise hard while doing it. I ate all my calories between 6 or 7pm and 2 or 3am and the results quite surprised me. I ate around 2500 calories as well. I wish people would research before spouting off about things they know nothing about, likening it to simply skipping meals. There is more to it than that.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    dImyJ.gif
    best gif for this
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well I do it all the time,it works