Did Sephora call me fat?

kerricus
kerricus Posts: 165 Member
I went to Sephora today (a makeup store, fyi). When I got home, I discovered in my bag a small sample of "fat girl sixpack: tummy-toning gel with 6 active ingredients."

On the back, it says "Massage into midsection in a circular motion twice a day for 20-30 seconds. We suggest using in conjunction with regular exercise, healthy diet and the rest of the fatgirlslim regimen."

How dare they call their customers fat! How dare they market this quackery! I'm horrified.

Replies

• SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    I've found that a quick, high friction, upward/downward motion relieves me of an ounce or two per rubbing session.

16 rubbing sessiions = 1lb/day.

Oh, but to answer you question, yes, they called you fat.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Do you think it's okay for them to call me fat? Just curious as to your person opinion.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    i dont think they called you fat .. tis just the sample they had to give out that day in my opinion
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    I wouldn't assume that unless you knew for a fact that they were handing out specific samples to specific customers. Even then, eh, whatever. Companies spend millions of dollars marketing to target audiences. The internet brings up ads based on your browsing history.
    Not something I would be concerned with.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    I've found that a quick, high friction, upward/downward motion relieves me of an ounce or two per rubbing session.

Oh, but to answer you question, yes, they called you fat.

QFT
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    My sister got that sample once. She's not at all fat. The same day I got a sample of hair products for curly hair--mine's stick straight. It was just a random sample--I'm sure of it! :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member

:laugh:
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Think you're being a little touchy if you think they specifically picked that sample out after seeing you.
    They hand out anti ageing samples too, doesn't mean everyone looks really wrinkly.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I went to Sephora today (a makeup store, fyi). When I got home, I discovered in my bag a small sample of "fat girl sixpack: tummy-toning gel with 6 active ingredients."

On the back, it says "Massage into midsection in a circular motion twice a day for 20-30 seconds. We suggest using in conjunction with regular exercise, healthy diet and the rest of the fatgirlslim regimen."

How dare they call their customers fat! How dare they market this quackery! I'm horrified.

This certainly wasn't targeted to you.

It just so happened to be the free sample they were handing out today so don't get your panties in a knot!

They do this because they know that there are women out there who will purchase the real deal because they are naive enough to believe that it works.
  • Wow, that is rude of them. No words.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Walk into any "beauty" store to purchase products and you're "indirectly" being called "not pretty enough" too if that's your perception from getting a sample packet.

Isn't that what make up is for? To hide flaws and colorfully enhance your weak points?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member

:laugh:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    fatgirlslim is the **** if you use their whole system. it's used for reducing cellulite and it's one of the only things that actually does anything (but it doesn't work if you don't use all the products and the effects go away if you stop using it).

that's just what it's called. it's a really hard product to sell... I know from experience.

eta: also... since when does a sample in your sephora bag indicate anything at all?
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Walk into any "beauty" store to purchase products and you're "indirectly" being called "not pretty enough" too if that's your perception from getting a sample packet.

Isn't that what make up is for? To hide flaws and colorfully enhance your weak points?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So next thing dressing rooms should do is use those mirrors that manage to make you look thinner, just to make you feel better about yourself?

It's just a sample. That bag is designed for anyone going into Sephora. I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    You could be reading into this too much. Sephora gives out samples of all types of products. I've recieved things that I wouldnt even use.
    its a toss up...I just wouldnt take offense to it
  • It's actually supposed to be a great product (for all sizes) and Sephora is probably just trying to advertise the product. I don't believe that calling you "fat" was their intention. I'm sure that when it comes to sample packs they will hand them out to everyone that is in the store. Don't let it get to you because of the brand name. It's just a brand name, not a label for you.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I wouldn't let it bother you. It's probably just something they are trying to sell, and so many women think they are fat and can be talked into thinking they need it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    yes... yes they did...
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    um i dont think they called you fat.

sounds like a promo giveaway that they probably stick in all the bags until the promo is gone?

i would never have taken that personally....i dunno thats just me
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Are you fat?