Did Sephora call me fat?

Options

Replies

• SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Are you fat?

Ah....how dare you use logic sir. How dare you!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You could have a really skinny girl to go in there a buy something. If they give her the same sample, then no but if they give her a different sample, yes. Only way to know for sure.
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options
    You could have a really skinny girl to go in there a buy something. If they give her the same sample, then no but if they give her a different sample, yes. Only way to know for sure.

You mean targeting your audience is bad business?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    fatgirlslim is the **** if you use their whole system. it's used for reducing cellulite and it's one of the only things that actually does anything (but it doesn't work if you don't use all the products and the effects go away if you stop using it).

that's just what it's called. it's a really hard product to sell... I know from experience.

eta: also... since when does a sample in your sephora bag indicate anything at all?

Does the whole system honestly give good results?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is rude of them. No words.

rude for a store to offer free samples of products they sell?

the audacity!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    This thread is useless without pictures.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is rude of them. No words.

rude for a store to offer free samples of products they sell?

the audacity!

At least offer something that's not crap! N:laugh:
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options
    Next time I go to Costco, I'm going to get mad when they try to give me a free taste test of....of....whatever you melanin deprived people eat. Instead, I'll demand beans and rice!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Targeting your appropriate market with pinpoint precision is admirable.

Like when the Girl Scouts ask me if I want cookies. They just look at me and know.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Next time I go to Costco, I'm going to get mad when they try to give me a free taste test of....of....whatever you melanin deprived people eat. Instead, I'll demand beans and rice!

I love you

:laugh:
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I guess my post title was misleading. I was not taking the sample personally. I was just offended that they thought it was appropriate to hand out to anyone.

To me, it's another example of fat-shaming. What of the girls/women who are fragile and will take it personally?

I really didn't mean to make this about me. It's about stores using shame to sell BS products.

Then again, as someone else pointed out, this is exactly Sephora's business. Maybe next time I'll get anti-aging eye cream.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    fatgirlslim is the **** if you use their whole system. it's used for reducing cellulite and it's one of the only things that actually does anything (but it doesn't work if you don't use all the products and the effects go away if you stop using it).

that's just what it's called. it's a really hard product to sell... I know from experience.

eta: also... since when does a sample in your sephora bag indicate anything at all?

i think it's a waste of money personally, like i said it doesn't get rid of cellulite it just makes it look better as long as you keep using it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Cellulite are cells WITHIN the body. Topical solutions just hide them temporarily. It NEVER goes away. You can reduce appearance a couple of ways.

Lose fat to reduce the capacity of the cell
    Inflame the tissue around the skin to reduce the dimpling
    Wear clothes to cover it up

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Not at all! But if she truely wants an answer to whether the cashier looked her down and specifically put that sample in her bag over any other available samples, that's the way to do it. Targeting your audiance is great for business. I would be less likely to buy a particular foundation if I got a sample that was 5 shades too dark for me but if you give me a sample that matches my skin perfectly, I would probably buy it.
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options
    I guess my post title was misleading. I was not taking the sample personally. I was just offended that they thought it was appropriate to hand out to anyone.

To me, it's another example of fat-shaming. What of the girls/women who are fragile and will take it personally?

I really didn't mean to make this about me. It's about stores using shame to sell BS products.

Then again, as someone else pointed out, this is exactly Sephora's business. Maybe next time I'll get anti-aging eye cream.

We all prefer that you take this personal and then end up rage quitting. That's what the masses want. We want blood!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I have an entry of estimated calories for "Costco Samples" in my diary. I go there often and eat all the samples as my lunch while shopping. The dude who does the demonstration for the soup maker knows me by name.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Shame only exists when you are actually ashamed. If someone offered me a sample of something to regrow my hair, I wouldnt be offended at all. Just amused and intrigued.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Not at all! But if she truely wants an answer to whether the cashier looked her down and specifically put that sample in her bag over any other available samples, that's the way to do it. Targeting your audiance is great for business. I would be less likely to buy a particular foundation if I got a sample that was 5 shades too dark for me but if you give me a sample that matches my skin perfectly, I would probably buy it.

I feel like this incident is being blown way out of proportion. Reminds me of a premise for a Seinfeld episode.
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

I feel like this incident is being blown way out of proportion. Reminds me of a premise for a Seinfeld episode.

No one has time for feelings. I lost those when I lost the first ten pounds.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I went to Sephora today (a makeup store, fyi). When I got home, I discovered in my bag a small sample of "fat girl sixpack: tummy-toning gel with 6 active ingredients."

On the back, it says "Massage into midsection in a circular motion twice a day for 20-30 seconds. We suggest using in conjunction with regular exercise, healthy diet and the rest of the fatgirlslim regimen."

How dare they call their customers fat! How dare they market this quackery! I'm horrified.

It's just advertising, see all the free publicity the product just got with the health conscious folks on MFP.