Counting/measuring food

Options
13»

Replies

• OK, you obviously know how to do it, it's intake and exercise, and portion control You most likely know calories by looking at your plate after logging for some time. Don't weigh it or log it, just be aware of what you put in your mouth and keep moving is my recommendation. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I just can't lose weight any other way but to log....

It's time-consuming, but no reward comes easy :)
  • missyhut714
    missyhut714 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have this problem i am in school fulltime and work 12 hour shifts. I have about 20lbs to go does anyone have somegood ideas for food measuring i feel like i either eat to much or way to little and if i am working out 60 min 3 times aweek should i be taking in more than 1200 cal.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I actually never measured my food - while losing and now while maintaining - but I cook a lot and thought I was a good eyeballer. I lost weight at a pace that suggests my eyeballing was accurate, so I never felt the need to be more tight about my intake. If was having problems losing though, I would have caved and gotten a scale. So, now that I'm maintaining (about 6 months after a 20 pound loss) I don't log anymore either, but I do weigh myself everyday, and if my weight creeps out of the range of normal then I'll log again. Since you are working on strength goals now, I'm not sure that would be the best strategy - ideally you will gain weight during a recomp. So maybe keep logging but stop weighing/measuring your food?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A nice site linked to by the UNC dining halls to help you make good choices in the dining hall:

http://www.dining.unc.edu/PortionSizesandConversions
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Eliminate sugars, white flour, white rice, and full fat dairy from your diet. You will be fine if you are conscientious.
    I lost the needed 25 lbs slowly and kept it off for 5 years. Recently gained back 5 lbs when I started eating sugar again.
    The trouble with counting calories is it doesn't account for the quality or nutritional value of food. It's a good guide line to
    help you be aware of how much you are consuming, but it is not the end all, be all.

Interesting. I'm maintaining on eating/drinking:
    -White bread/pasta/etc. (Yuck @ the whole wheat/other stuff.)
    -Any kind of rice
    -Plenty of candy and snacks
    -Mm whole milk ONLY. Okay maybe half and half if whole milk isn't around.

That is not all I eat but they are a constant in my diet. Just had a bowl of chocolate cheerios (with whole milk) and two cups of coffee (1/4 cup of whole milk/3 sugars per cup) so I'm good.
  • 3proud
    3proud Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have realized that the only way to maintain or lose without calorie counting is to either restrict a particular food group or limit portion size and not snack. The problem is that the only real reason I don't want to calorie count is that I want to just eat without thinking about what I am eating and when. It also usually means I want to overeat.

The only way I can really deal with this is to let myself overeat I maybe on saturday and sunday) and try to input those calories as best I can after the fact and then eat at a deficit sometime over the next week.

When I go on vacation I don't count but I stick to eating at meals only and limit my portions. I will still put on a few (probably because of the unlimited alcohol and salt) so I have to go back to counting and it comes off within a week. But I can never really go more than a week or so not counting without having to return and get back on track.

FWIW, it gets worse if I exercise because I get hungrier and feel like I deserve to eat more. I also find that counting is more satisfying because I can indulge while still being at a deficit or within maintenance calories.

I have found that the fitbit has made it more fun to get my NEAT calories higher so I can eat more throughout the day. Just running around town and taking a short walk will give me 200-300 more calories to eat.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about phones that can scan the bar codes of food and add it that way. Sometimes I wish I was better with technology. (I guess his doesn't help with homemade but if I am measuring to cook it's not a big deal to log)
    I also find now I am down to a nice weight the logging helps people not to make comments like 'how can you eat that and be slim' because they can see it's not a thoughtless eating but a balance of food and exercise.
    I think about what I eat so logging it isn't an issue
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing, only about wiping my @ss :laugh:

It's not FUN, but it's the best/cheapest/most efficient/sustainable way of losing and maintaining weight. Suck it up. We all have to, no one's special.

What????? Wiping your bum is the best/cheapest/most efficient/sustainable way of losing and maintaining weight? Why the hell did no one tell me this 3 years ago!