walking more than running, is it good as well?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitBun9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the answers :smile: i have a better understanding now.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting moving - I also started trying to run for the first time just after christmas. I saw a fab quote that stated

" no matter how slow you run - you are lapping every couch potato!"

I agree with the other comments about slowing the pace down so that you can run continuously rather than running hell for leather and having to stop to catch your breath. If you are worried about only doing 3 x a week, why not increase the length of your run to 45 - 60 mins 3 x a week rather than 30 mins 5 x a week. Just as many cals burned but better rest days in between. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    yeah, i might start sometime, but lifting won't really make me burn the fat... i want to focus on one thing first.
    You're understanding of burning fat is misdirected. Any physical activity you do burns calories. Energy that supplies those calories will first come from glycogen stores, then from fat and then to the extreme lean muscle.
    You DON'T need cardio or any exercise for that matter to lose body fat, however exercising a certain way will affect your body composition.
    Lifting weights helps to retain lean muscle and helps to keep your metabolic rate up. Dieting alone reduces it. Keeping muscle active burns more fat that letting it atrophy.
    So yes, lifting does help with burning body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition