should morbidly obese children be taken from parents?

Options

Replies

• emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not, it's cruel to overfeed your child to the point of being unhealthy, especially if they can't make their own choices
    just as the same as underfeeding children
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have debated this over and over. He says it's flat out child abuse and should be treated as such. I think intervention or, even better, prevention should take place for the whole family. Instead traumatizing children and over taxing already overtaxed child protection workers, how about having nutritionists/dieticians come into the home and work with the whole family and actively educate them about making better choices and being healthy?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In many cases, parents don't know proper nutrition either. And people on fixed incomes often limited options in grocery shopping. And it isn't safe to play outside anymore. A whole lot of things work against kids anymore. But to start taking away children because of fat just opens the doors for being able to take kids away for any little reason whatsoever. "I'm sorry, your child's scores dropped this term. If they don't go up next term we will take your child away." I think it sets a bad precident.

My kids play outside all the time.
    You're in the minority, though. Parents are so paralyzed with the fear that their kids are going to be kidnapped if they're out of their sight for five seconds that they don't let them just go out and play like we did.

It's been like that for a while. My daughter is 19 and it was like that when she was little. Thankfully, she had a few local friends who had reasonable parents, though.

It is as safe to play outside now as it was 30, 40 and even 50 years ago. We just have 24/7 news now so everything gets talked about, no matter how small, and it makes it seem like it's more dangerous.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    In many cases, parents don't know proper nutrition either. And people on fixed incomes often limited options in grocery shopping. And it isn't safe to play outside anymore. A whole lot of things work against kids anymore. But to start taking away children because of fat just opens the doors for being able to take kids away for any little reason whatsoever. "I'm sorry, your child's scores dropped this term. If they don't go up next term we will take your child away." I think it sets a bad precident.

Mine, too! In the exact same yard I grew up playing in. Minus the wonderful oak tree we used to climb. :(

But I do agree, it sets a bad precedent. .
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

However, getting some parents to actually care would prove to be the challenge. There would have to be an incentive offered to get a lot of parents to take advantage of the education being offered. The health of their children would, sadly, not be enough.

Sadly, this is true. People would need an actual reason to not overfeed their children (which to me, is also malnourishment like underfeeding is) because just looking at the medical facts aren't enough. I think it's a cruelty, especially when you know what happens when your kid is at school - you know they're getting made fun of, you know they're tired and probably have less energy than all the other kids, and you know they can't make better choices. I did a presentation on this last semester and it truly does affect their schoolwork. Unfortunately in our society, parents don't know any better so intervention is key and getting them educated should be the priority before drastic measures like taking them away are used. To me, taking a child away should be more for kids who are mentally, emotionally, and physically abused and unloved. If a family truly loves their child, then they'll do what's needed to get them healthy. Just because a family is overfeeding their child doesn't mean they don't love them or don't want to give them a good life - they just need to be taught some things.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily
    But maybe some counseling for all
    I never want to see kids taken from their families unless the situation can't be helped

This. Children belong with their parents. Yes, some education might be beneficial, but taking the children away is ridiculous.

FIFY

Hey, and what if the caseworker is obese? What if the foster family is obese? What if the family law judge is obese?
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I blame bacon - no amount of education can crack that addiction
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You're in the minority, though. Parents are so paralyzed with the fear that their kids are going to be kidnapped if they're out of their sight for five seconds that they don't let them just go out and play like we did.

It's been like that for a while. My daughter is 19 and it was like that when she was little. Thankfully, she had a few local friends who had reasonable parents, though.

It is as safe to play outside now as it was 30, 40 and even 50 years ago. We just have 24/7 news now so everything gets talked about, no matter how small, and it makes it seem like it's more dangerous.

Parents need to buck up and take control of their neighborhoods. Statistically, it's safer today than it was in the 70s and 80s. When I was a kid and someone "creepy" was around, I simply ran away. We had no cell phones or social media, etc.

We have only lived in our home for 18 months, but every kid in the neighborhood knows the Terry House and knows if any creepy tweakers or weird people are around, they can come to our house if they have no cell phone and we'll drive them home or call their parents for them.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Bypassing the article I say yes. They are putting their child's health at risk. I remember some stories a few years ago about morbidly obese children in the US being taken away from their parents and I thought it was a good idea. Let the parent take some nutrition classes while the foster home puts the kid on the right track.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Plus surely if it wasn't safe outside a parent should assess this and make time to take their children to the park or some other recreational activity?

Right!?! Or, like I said above, take charge of their neighborhood. Take control. Don't be a victim.

This business of being scared to let kids play outside is all media hype. It's fearmongering with no basis in fact.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Bypassing the article I say yes. They are putting their child's health at risk. I remember some stories a few years ago about morbidly obese children in the US being taken away from their parents and I thought it was a good idea. Let the parent take some nutrition classes while the foster home puts the kid on the right track.

Hey, and what if the caseworker is obese? What if the foster family is obese? What if the family law judge is obese?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced it's a good idea to take children which already show signs of maladaptive reactions to stress away from their parents, put them among children many of whom have behavioural problems and eventually send them to foster parents who may or may not be any better than their natural parents.

And since this is the internet, yes that was sarcasm.

ETA: what on earth is a 'stone'?
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No, they shouldnt be taken away. Instead if the system is so interested in the family they should put some money behind educating them about food and exercise instead of wasting more on using the system to take the kids away. More than likely it's simply a matter of the parents not knowing the dangers of overeating and just need a little help learning instead of taking what is probably the only thing in their life worth living for away.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Parents need to buck up and take control of their neighborhoods. Statistically, it's safer today than it was in the 70s and 80s. When I was a kid and someone "creepy" was around, I simply ran away. We had no cell phones or social media, etc.

We have only lived in our home for 18 months, but every kid in the neighborhood knows the Terry House and knows if any creepy tweakers or weird people are around, they can come to our house if they have no cell phone and we'll drive them home or call their parents for them.
    Wonderful. And, honestly, it's not as though there are creepy people hanging around every corner, FPS. You have to teach your kids to be alert, not go with strangers, things like that. They DO listen and understand. Teach them to trust their instincts and that it's OK to be "rude" to someone who makes them uncomfortable, even if it's an adult.

It's more likely some friend or family member is going to harm your child than a complete stranger, anyway. Kids just need to be given the right tools. They will use them.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    As a whole I would say no. I think intervention should be made in the forms of education instead. However, it depends on the situation.

I know a child that is so morbidly obese that the doctor informed his morbidly obese mother that if he doesn't lose weight within a year he will be dead. He has several serious health problems from his weight. Her intervention is that he can no longer have thirds (but can still have seconds). He is fed a steady diet of fast food and fried southern cuisine. He watches tv and plays video games all day.

Its not the child's fault, it's the mothers. No the child shouldn't be punished, but the point of CPS is to remove a child who is in danger to protect them. The are plenty of parents who love the children they beat or sexually abuse. I have no doubt she loves her son. However she doesn't know how to eat or live healthy herself and doesn't want to learn. Not even to save her child's life. The child has no medical conditions causing the weight. The mother has been offered counseling and nutrition classes but refuses to attend.

The doctor has reported her to CPS and they are monitoring the situation for now. If he gains or remains the same weight by this summer he will be removed. Should he be taken away?
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Children being ripped from their parents would be pretty traumatic and damaging.

Better option would be educating parents and children. Mandatory classes and help giving the tools and start up to a healthier lifestyle.

People are too overwhelmed, don't know where to start and which "diet" they should believe and follow. They are afraid of failing a "diet" so they don't even start.

Yes, many people also just don't care. If a child still is suffering due to illness or what not with no improvement because the parent refuses to do anything about it, then maybe something more drastic.

A child should have the right to grow up healthy without health conditions that could have been avoided had the parents cared more.

And please don't use being poor an excuse. We grew up poor on a very strict budget, my Mom fed 4 kids and both parents on under $5 per dinner. Yes she budgeted and planned. None of use were obese or starved and we ate meat and veggies at every dinner.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

They can be obese all they want, Im talking about morbidly obese kids that suffer from diabetes and sleep apnea and have to wear size 5x clothing from Rainbows.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    I'm not convinced it's a good idea to take children which already show signs of maladaptive reactions to stress away from their parents, put them among children many of whom have behavioural problems and eventually send them to foster parents who may or may not be any better than their natural parents.

And since this is the internet, yes that was sarcasm.

ETA: what on earth is a 'stone'?

One stone is 14lbs...so an 11 year old at 20 stone is 280lbs.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I worked in the group home system and worked with kids on Foster home.. Trust me, they are better off with their parents if the worst of their problems are being over fed or not being taught proper nutrition - that's something that can be taught, and their weight is something that can be fixed or changed, but to strip them from their family and put them with strangers that may or may not abuse and mistreat them is just wrong. There are better ways.

Strongly agree. Children should not be taken away because a family is giving a child too much food. Simply educate them/offer counselling/etc.