1000-1200 calories per day and lost no weight ??????

Options

Replies

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

if you don't eat enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode, and will take everything you eat, no matter how small, and hold onto it for as long as possible, in order to keep you alive.

Again this is wrong. As a few people already stated in this thread, starvation mode --as it is commonly understood around these parts -- does NOT exist. You would have to be eating at sub-Saharan Africa levels to reach true starvation mode. You would have to be completely fasting for at least 72 hours for a metabolic slowdown to even begin to occur and even then it isn't as drastic as many would lead you to believe. Im not advocating anyone going on a VLCD but the starvation mode fear mongering is ridiculous.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    But how can eating more calories per day make me loose weight surly it works the other way around doesn't it ?

I can see why you would draw that conclusion. It's the same concept I used when I was anorexic. However, you need to eat as close to the amount of calories MFP recommends based on your lifestyle and your goal. If you don't eat enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode, and will take everything you eat, no matter how small, and hold onto it for as long as possible, in order to keep you alive. So, if you need to eat 2500 calories in order to MAINTAIN your weight, and you want to lose 1 LB a week, you should consume as close to 2,100 or so calories. If you only eat 1000 - 1200, when you should be eating 2100, your body will freak out and become convinced that you are dying, and the only way to survive is to hold onto every pound inside your body, and treat every morsel introduced as something to never let go. It's very unhealthy, it can kill you, and that is not good.

Again... No No No!

Where does this garbage come from?!?!

How is it that people who are truly starving lose weight, and continue to do so, until they die or eat, but someone who just wants to lose weight and is eating an amount of calories under what their body requires "magically" holds on to fat because because the body thinks it is "starving"???

I am in no way advocating eating a stupid deficit to lose weight, but if your body requires 2500 calories to maintain then eating 1000 calories will ABSOLUTELY cause weight loss to occur.

The OP is simply eating more than they think.
  • deztopstylist
    deztopstylist Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    But how can eating more calories per day make me loose weight surly it works the other way around doesn't it ?
    Eating more will speed your metabolism. Also it depends on what your calories are. Are they healthy nutritious calories or empty calroies? Also you can be building muscle which weighs more than fat. Keep in mind the scale does not tell the whole story I gained 5 lbs and lost an inch in my waise. Keep your chin up.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have been consuming 1000-1200 calories per day eating fresh fish salad and veg grilled chicken boiled eggs and water and earl grey tea

I am doing per week about 2 hours cardio which is walking

Have weighed myself and I have not lost 1 lb ???????

Don't listen to these "eat more to lose more" people. Jumping up to 1500 or 1800 calories will destroy your metabolism. Slowly creep up by 100 calories every two weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Yes, lets not listen to the wildly successful people who have lost hundreds of pounds, they know not what they speak of :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lets listen to the person who has lost 2 pounds, just joined the site 2 seconds ago and has a picture of them picking their nose :noway:

OP - first get a food scale. Weigh all you food to ensure accuracy. Use measuring cups and spoons for liquids. Eat at an appropriate deficit, try 1 pound/week weight loss or 500 cal deficit per day. Don't starve yourself. Try that for a good month and evaluate your results. Adjust your calories based on your real world results. The end.
  • daybehavior
    Options
    Eating more will speed your metabolism. Also it depends on what your calories are. Are they healthy nutritious calories or empty calroies? Also you can be building muscle which weighs more than fat. Keep in mind the scale does not tell the whole story I gained 5 lbs and lost an inch in my waise. Keep your chin up.

Wow three myths in a single post.

1. Eating more doesn't speed up your metabolism.
    2. A calorie is a calorie. PERIOD. It doesnt matter where you get them from.
    3. You don't build muscle on a caloric deficit. You don't build a significant amount within a span of three weeks, either.
  • deztopstylist
    deztopstylist Posts: 55 Member
    Options

3. You don't build muscle on a caloric deficit. You don't build a significant amount within a span of three weeks, either.

Its simply my opinion no need to criticize. And yes if you are lifting weights u will build muscle. All I was saying is that you can gain weight but look different. So just because no weight was lost dont give up. I am not saying up calories to over 2000. But to eat more frequently does speed the metabolism. and if u are eating an Apple instead of a cinnamon roll those calries dont matter? They ask for suggestions not for us to bash any one persons thoughts. Everyones body is different and we all have to do whats best for us. So keep your head up and your weight will come off.
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not enough in my opinion. End of story.
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Too few calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode. Your body says OH CRAP! and hangs on to whatever it can, since it thinks you are starving.
    This right here is why you're not losing weight. Eat more of the good stuff and you should see your metabolism speed up again.
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have been consuming 1000-1200 calories per day eating fresh fish salad and veg grilled chicken boiled eggs and water and earl grey tea

I am doing per week about 2 hours cardio which is walking

Have weighed myself and I have not lost 1 lb ???????

Don't listen to these "eat more to lose more" people. Jumping up to 1500 or 1800 calories will destroy your metabolism. Slowly creep up by 100 calories every two weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Yes, lets not listen to the wildly successful people who have lost hundreds of pounds, they know not what they speak of :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lets listen to the person who has lost 2 pounds, just joined the site 2 seconds ago and has a picture of them picking their nose :noway:

OP - first get a food scale. Weigh all you food to ensure accuracy. Use measuring cups and spoons for liquids. Eat at an appropriate deficit, try 1 pound/week weight loss or 500 cal deficit per day. Don't starve yourself. Try that for a good month and evaluate your results. Adjust your calories based on your real world results. The end.

completely agree with this.

sidenote: that girl's picture is probably the creepiest one I've seen on here to date.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    This ones easy.

You have 60lbs to lose...

I'm guessing you should be eating between 1800-2000 to lose weight.

Said he's not losing weight. He's eating more than he realizes. No way you could eat 1,000 calories a day and not lose weight. And eating too little won't prevent you from losing weight.
    And where did you get your medical degree?

Same place you got yours, I'd wager.
  • arnageddon
    arnageddon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the OP is not measuring his food with a food scale, and is actually eating more than 1000-1200 calories per day.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

So look, just by your post, it sounds like you think you have to eat "diet food" and obviously very little of it. You're doing it wrong. Read this wall of text up there and help yourself make this manageable.

And make sure to OUTRIGHT IGNORE people that tell you stuff like cutting something 100% out of your diet... like below.
    make sure you are eating protein with each meal, lots of veggies, healthy fats like coconut and olive oil. Low fat diet do not help anybody lose weight or get healthier. Low carb diets do.Get rid of sugar if you haven't yet. Don't give up.

Low carb diets aren't magic. That's so 2002.

This guy, right here.

I follow a low carb diet but agree it's not magic. It works for me surprising well, but one of my MFP pals follows a heavy on the fruit diet and it works like magic for her. I think the common theme through all of the diets I've seen are no processed foods, and maintain only a LOW caloric deficit, nothing crazy like 1200 or less.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    if u are eating an Apple instead of a cinnamon roll those calries dont matter?

The calorie is still a calorie.
    If it is 100 calories of apple vs. 100 calories of cinnamon roll, it is still 100 calories either way. Your body will use those calories as 100 calories. You get more nutrition out of the apple though, the vitamins, minerals and fiber. You may be more hungry sooner after eating the cinnamon roll.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

Its simply my opinion no need to criticize. And yes if you are lifting weights u will build muscle. All I was saying is that you can gain weight but look different. So just because no weight was lost dont give up. I am not saying up calories to over 2000. But to eat more frequently does speed the metabolism. and if u are eating an Apple instead of a cinnamon roll those calries dont matter? They ask for suggestions not for us to bash any one persons thoughts. Everyones body is different and we all have to do whats best for us. So keep your head up and your weight will come off.

1. Meal timing is irrelevant. If there is a calorie deficit weight loss will occur.

2. You can't build new muscle in a calorie deficit. You need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy weights for that to occur. You can have strength gains, but its not probable if he is severely under eating at 1000-1200 cals.

3. Comparing apples to cinnamon rolls is silly. Of course an apple has more nutrients than a cinnamon roll. An apple has about 80 calories. A cinnamon roll has around 300-400. But 1 calorie = 1 calorie. The body burns calories the same way. What is your point exactly? I say have both the apple and the cinnamon roll if it fits in your calorie goal! :laugh:

4. You cant just wish the fat away. Having a positive attitude is good but one must back that positive attitude up with actions. People are offering real good advice here. I hope the OP takes it.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the OP is not measuring his food with a food scale, and is actually eating more than 1000-1200 calories per day.

Strong first post!

Sensible post is sensible. :smile:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Or he's getting too much sugar.

I'm kidding!
  • daybehavior
    Options
    @Ray's Wife, thank you for saving me the trouble :wink:

The amount of herp derp in this thread is incredible.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

Or he's getting too much sugar.

I'm kidding!

or maybe he's not drinking enough water!!! You need to be drinking at least 500 gallons per day to lose!
  • Lifetimestruggle
    Options
    GREAT POST! A lot of helpful advice! Thanks!
  • Rays_Wife
    Options
    @Ray's Wife, thank you for saving me the trouble :wink:

The amount of herp derp in this thread is incredible.

No prob. I just couldn't sit idly by and let that happen :laugh: