Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Another thought just occurred to me too. A friend of mine was complaining about all the goodies at her work place that people bring in. I remember when I worked back then, the break room would have food people brought in to snack on. It was never healthy and I'd eat a lot of it, because I was hungry and not eating regular meals or regularly. So the boss/co-worker brought in donuts/cookies/danish/sandwiches/etc.., i'd be the jerk who hate half of them before anyone else got any. Opportunity to eat was never passed by. If someone offered me the rest of their lunch that they couldn't finish i'd eat it, even if it was comprised of garbage foods.

Another reason the poor can get fat.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've been poor... like 'will work for food' poor... i was skinny.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Another thought just occurred to me too. A friend of mine was complaining about all the goodies at her work place that people bring in. I remember when I worked back then, the break room would have food people brought in to snack on. It was never healthy and I'd eat a lot of it, because I was hungry and not eating regular meals or regularly. So the boss/co-worker brought in donuts/cookies/danish/sandwiches/etc.., i'd be the jerk who hate half of them before anyone else got any. Opportunity to eat was never passed by. If someone offered me the rest of their lunch that they couldn't finish i'd eat it, even if it was comprised of garbage foods.

Another reason the poor can get fat.

I hear you regarding available food often not being the healthy kind, but you don't get fat without overconsuming. There can be all kinds of reasons for overconsuming, poverty included, but it isn't being poor that makes one fat.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The "poor" get food supplement (Food stamps, wic etc.) It is the lower middle class that cut out more expensive foods. Avocado are near $1.00 each. Those are luxury items for most lower middle class... A bag of mandarin oranges are $5.00, and so they are bought in limited quantities. Healthy eating is not as cheap, as ramen noodle, but then again neither is a trip to the Dr. for the lack of nutrition. I think convenience is more of an issue. If it's cheap and easy we will fore go healthy choices for convenience.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok - I've been poor - actually still struggle paycheck to paycheck - but no longer receive SNAP assistance either.

Being that I've had some experience trying to shop on a limited budget and feed teenage boys int he process (yes they can easily eat what the one mom claimed) I'll chime in on what I learned.

You have to really WORK to find healthy foods that are affordable. I am married to a chef - trust me this came in handy during this period of our lives) because his education and knowledge allowed us to make things that were relatively healthy on the cheap! That being said several things became staples in our home as 'fillers' We ate tons of Pasta, rice, potatoes, starchy - yet fills the belly. Yes we worked in veggies, frozen and fresh as we found them on sale. We made stock out of what most people would consider 'garbage' parts when you cut up peppers, the carrot ends, the celery tops, etc. We learned what meats/meals would create other meals. Make a turkey, have a casserole, make turkey salad, then boil the carcass. Not all persons know to do this. Fortunately most of the family (only me!) has a genetic disposition to carry extra weight - the rest of the family borderlines on underweight! We got so good at it - it became a game - can we feed a family of 5 on less than $70 a week, plus extra bodies on occasion (friends/another couple/etc.)- and we did it.

I used to drive a lady to the store, she didn't have a car, and on the first day of the month she would buy 35 Banquet TV dinners and her kids would eat 2 or 3 at a time (teens). All over weight - the whole family! I think education is important and sometimes the least healthy foods are the cheapest.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding?? Comparing a sensible portion of food for your 5 year old daughter to that of my 14 year old son???

My son is a 6 foot 3, 175lbs broad shouldered, football playing, 5k running. weight lifting, camping, swimmer solid skinny teenager. He's a size 32x33 in pants. (Which is at the low end of the "ideal weight" doctors what to see a person of this height be at. ) How does that amount of food amount to too much?? I actually do not think he brings enough for his lunch. I did tell him he should have eaten something else besides a 3rd chicken leg, but boys are also lazy in that they don't want to take a minute to make something else when there is food already hot and prepped. And due to conflicting schedules I am not always there to provide an alternative. He's bigger than (taller and broader) a lot of adults I know. he went snow cave camping and when the recommended meal plans for that came out I swear it was near 4000 calories per day on them!

I fail to see how feeding my growing super active teenage boy enough food to fuel his body is bad parenting or ignorance? he ate all healthy food with a nice treat in there, because kids like treats. I really don't think you have any clue what you are talking about when it comes to feeding teenage boys.

When my son does eat eggs he eats 5 or 6 at a time scrambled with cheese and whatever else I make him put in it, with a side of meat and potatoes and yogurt.

If I was *still* poor. He'd not have had that much food available unfortunately. He's also not be this active or involved in as many activities as he is, so he wouldn't need as much. Because you know it all costs money. If he was 5, he would eat significantly less. When I was young and flat broke, I bought ramen because it was cheap and filling if I had a dollar and a stove. It definitely was not enjoyable nor did it taste good. Food bank are generally open 1 or 2 days a week, during working hours and where I used to live there weren't any close by and a lot of the foods they give you require cooking. (potatoes come to mind) If I could get to one, i'd have veggies for a day or two.. since I had no fridge they'd go bad pretty quick. And I could spend my dollar on what protein exactly??

I completely agree. When I was in high school, I used to marvel at how much my brother and my teenaged male cousins ate. (All over 6 feet tall.) Not only were they not at all overweight, one was on the skinny side as was my brother. And a friend of mine in high school (also a little over 6 feet tall) ate huge lunches-- a typical lunch would be half a chicken (yes, half of a whole chicken), a roll, 3-4 large carrots, and a large apple. (We ate lunch together every day.) He also had large breakfasts and dinners and would eat a couple of granola bars in the afternoon. Not only was he not obese, he was extremely fit. He swam and lifted weights for hours every day before and after school. (He was a finalist for the olympic swim team.) He is still very lean and fit. (He ended up marrying my best friend.)

So yes, healthy teenaged boys, especially tall guys, eat a TON of food. Do NOT compare a teenaged boy's appetite with a child, especially not a 5 year old girl!!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Coming in very late, but - perfectly possible to get cheap food that's got enough micronutrients from not too far away in the UK at least.
    I can't believe many are fat because they don't think they're getting enough micronutrients so eat more.

It might be they're poor for the same reason they're fat - laziness and so on, but there's no good reason for being poor to be a direct cause.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Uhm, never done a door to door check myself. Oh,, what do you consider fat? As far as studies by "whomever" goes, well...no comment.

On disability for mental health reasons :embarassed: :wink: , my only compensation is...well not much :smile: No, I don't recieve foodstamps or other aid. .

Bills I must pay (rent, car, ins, gas, kid 10), then terrible habit, smoking :wink:, meds, 3 credit cards, tot min $100/mo, but pay a bit more to have lower balance in case car needs work, I only have appx. $140 left a month to eat....$4.66 avg/day...hmmm.

Maybe due to being only 5'8" and 52yrs, my body can handle it, beats me. I don't care how poor or wealthy one is, free excercise is, to me without a doubt, possible. Only laziness is the cause. NO, I'm not passing judgment, just a fact in my garbled brain based on above statement.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding?? Comparing a sensible portion of food for your 5 year old daughter to that of my 14 year old son???

My son is a 6 foot 3, 175lbs broad shouldered, football playing, 5k running. weight lifting, camping, swimmer solid skinny teenager. He's a size 32x33 in pants. (Which is at the low end of the "ideal weight" doctors what to see a person of this height be at. ) How does that amount of food amount to too much?? I actually do not think he brings enough for his lunch. I did tell him he should have eaten something else besides a 3rd chicken leg, but boys are also lazy in that they don't want to take a minute to make something else when there is food already hot and prepped. And due to conflicting schedules I am not always there to provide an alternative. He's bigger than (taller and broader) a lot of adults I know. he went snow cave camping and when the recommended meal plans for that came out I swear it was near 4000 calories per day on them!

I fail to see how feeding my growing super active teenage boy enough food to fuel his body is bad parenting or ignorance? he ate all healthy food with a nice treat in there, because kids like treats. I really don't think you have any clue what you are talking about when it comes to feeding teenage boys.

When my son does eat eggs he eats 5 or 6 at a time scrambled with cheese and whatever else I make him put in it, with a side of meat and potatoes and yogurt.

If I was *still* poor. He'd not have had that much food available unfortunately. He's also not be this active or involved in as many activities as he is, so he wouldn't need as much. Because you know it all costs money. If he was 5, he would eat significantly less. When I was young and flat broke, I bought ramen because it was cheap and filling if I had a dollar and a stove. It definitely was not enjoyable nor did it taste good. Food bank are generally open 1 or 2 days a week, during working hours and where I used to live there weren't any close by and a lot of the foods they give you require cooking. (potatoes come to mind) If I could get to one, i'd have veggies for a day or two.. since I had no fridge they'd go bad pretty quick. And I could spend my dollar on what protein exactly??

I completely agree. When I was in high school, I used to marvel at how much my brother and my teenaged male cousins ate. (All over 6 feet tall.) Not only were they not at all overweight, one was on the skinny side as was my brother. And a friend of mine in high school (also a little over 6 feet tall) ate huge lunches-- a typical lunch would be half a chicken (yes, half of a whole chicken), a roll, 3-4 large carrots, and a large apple. (We ate lunch together every day.) He also had large breakfasts and dinners and would eat a couple of granola bars in the afternoon. Not only was he not obese, he was extremely fit. He swam and lifted weights for hours every day before and after school. (He was a finalist for the olympic swim team.) He is still very lean and fit. (He ended up marrying my best friend.)

So yes, healthy teenaged boys, especially tall guys, eat a TON of food. Do NOT compare a teenaged boy's appetite with a child, especially not a 5 year old girl!!!

Yes I agree - my son easily ate that amount, easily ate double what I, a small mature adult woman ate - I imagine he ate at least 3 times what a 5 year old girl would eat - but he was tall, was growing and was active - this was not neglectful parenting and did not lead to obesity.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You have to really WORK to find healthy foods that are affordable. I am married to a chef - trust me this came in handy during this period of our lives) because his education and knowledge allowed us to make things that were relatively healthy on the cheap!

When, really, did this become so uncommon? When did basic life skills become the province of only trained chefs? Moreover, why do some many people believe what this poster describes is something only poor people need/shaould do?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Regardless, it is still completely unneccessary to feed the amounts of food mentioned to the average teenager. They arent special cases.

First off - not sure you can possibly even start a discussion on her child's diet with one anecdotal meal and snacks. Knowing nothing else about her child's size, activity levels and/or rest of diet.

Secondly, teenage males are 100% a "special case". They have a faster metabolism, higher energy/nutrient requirements due to growth, and most likely are producing more testosterone than they ever will in their entire life.

For optimal health and body composition - the goal for all teen males should be to eat all the things, and lift as much heavy *kitten* as possible.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    In the UK co-op stores are mostly built near or on housing estates, people don't want to or can't be bothered to travel to a supermarket so pay more for things. So called cheaper stores like Budgens/Londis aren't actually cheaper, all these stores are small and limited.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    are the poor fat? hmmmm talking USA only? Cuz I don't see the poor in Africa or India looking huge as they beg in the streets. Depends what you buy with food stamps I guess.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Secondly, teenage males are 100% a "special case". They have a faster metabolism, higher energy/nutrient requirements due to growth, and most likely are producing more testosterone than they ever will in their entire life.

Anything that is essentially an entire segment of the population isn't a special case. And testosterone does not cause higher dietary requirements. Being larger in physical size, muscle mass, and activity level does, but those things are not part and parcel of being male.

Back to the part of this discussion of teenage male eating habits, which was that feeding a large, potentially growing person with a high TDEE is so expensive that McDonalds would be cheaper than a healthy meal, which is not true. McDonalds might be cheaper calorie for calorie (but not macro to macro) than what she fed her son, but it's not less expensive than a healthy diet for him in general. With both McDonalds and what she described, nutrition and cost is taking a backseat to subjective enjoyment.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Anything that is essentially an entire segment of the population isn't a special case. And testosterone does not cause higher dietary requirements. Being larger in physical size, muscle mass, and activity level does, but those things are not part and parcel of being male.

Back to the part of this discussion of teenage male eating habits, which was that feeding a large, potentially growing person with a high TDEE is so expensive that McDonalds would be cheaper than a healthy meal, which is not true. McDonalds might be cheaper calorie for calorie (but not macro to macro) than what she fed her son, but it's not less expensive than a healthy diet for him in general. With both McDonalds and what she described, nutrition and cost is taking a backseat to subjective enjoyment.

Im not doing the classic MFP and argue semantics with you re: special case.

Whether you agree with that terminology or not - all things equal - teenage males definitely have higher metabolism and nutrient needs than just about any other segment of the population.

And yes testosterone doesn't require any special eating - but for optimal health and body composition for the rest of your life- you should probably take advantage of this rare and limited time to build some muscle IMO. I wish I had. That takes special dietary needs.

As for the McDonalds talk - I don't care about that side of the argument. I was simply replying to the guy who thought a rather normal meal was somehow crazy for a teenage male to consume. (EDIT: and in fact said: "This is an unbelievably sad story of ignorant parenting and bad habits. ")

BTW also assume you can get a wide variety of macro ratios from McDonalds depending on your order. But again - I don't care about that side of the argument.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK co-op stores are mostly built near or on housing estates, people don't want to or can't be bothered to travel to a supermarket so pay more for things. So called cheaper stores like Budgens/Londis aren't actually cheaper, all these stores are small and limited.
    It always depressed me the number of people I knew that both complained about not having enough money, but also ate mostly food from the corner shop (to be fair SOME was actually decent value, but rarely the food they chose) rather than going to the supermarket half a mile away. I cycled on my cheap bike to the supermarket. No excuse bar laziness.

And you most definitely can get plenty of calories more cheaply than McDonalds. Most definitely if you're not bothered by having lean meat - if you're having lots of calories, it's generally considered good to have some fat.
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience, I think it's a combination of a lack of money and a lack of knowledge about food/cooking as a whole.
    When me and my partner at ages 18 and 19 moved in together, we had so little money for food, yet didn't really know much about bargain foods or which foods would go further. It was easier to just head for the frozen section and stock up on chicken burgers, cheap white bread, tins of baked beans, and chips (laziness definitely came into it, if we'd really wanted to we could have looked online for student meals etc). It's only really been the past couple of years that we've grasped making big portions of homemade food like stir fry, curry, soup, and chill is cheaper, tastier, healthier, and keeps us happier!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yeah I guess we can focus on that aspect of the post again. I was just so damn dazed for a second there :tongue:

I once was listening to someone on the radio complaining about when they were so poor and only had rice and beans all the time. I thought, who'd complain about that - that's great food!! But would you really want to eat such a limited selection? Every. Single. Day? Now that I think about it , maybe going to mcdonalds every once in a while and filling up your tummy on the cheap isn't such a strange idea!!
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome topic :wink: .

In a nutshell...poor folk are fat, poor folk are skinny, and everthing in between.

In the extreme...mega rich folk are fat, skinny, and everthing in between.

Case closed. :smile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. Glad I'm not the only one who sees that teenage boys eat a crap ton of food.

My point in posting that was that I could have spend 5 or 6 dollars at mcdonalds and gotten him fed, which would have costed less. (double cheeseburgers off the dollar menue etc). *If* you are very poor, you aren't concerned with macro nutrients. You are concerned with eating period. *IF* you have the ability to cook, perhaps you can get some very filling foods that are more healthy for less, but it would be extremely difficult. I am not referring to the lower middle class, I'm; referring to the actual poor, Those who do not make enough to live paycheck to paycheck. A lot of the benefits people keep referring to require you to have an address in order to receive them. You're also better off not working at all as they will then give you something you might actually be able to use, provided you have an address. Despite everyone talking about how much people abuse SNAP, it'snot the case. It's the exception. 1 in 5 people who are eligible do not even utilize it. And while I agree that some of the foods SNAP beneficiary are able to purchase should be disallowed, I do not think any one person or group should be restricted because of a small percentage that abuses the system. Perhaps they should not be allowed to purchase seafood? .. But sole (or it might be swai I'm thinking of) filet is cheaper then chicken a lot of times, so should be then ban chicken as well? I hear some people says frozen prepacked meals should be removed (like pizza), but what if that person does not know how to cook? or does not have a stove only a microwave? A friend of mine with 5 kids 3 of which have 3 different severe allergies and are on the autism spectrum (which means they are also super picky about texture), are you going to tell her she can't get what her kids will eat? My nephew is severely autistic with a dairy and a gluten allergy, how expensive is that food to get? Are you going to take that away from her?

It's all well and good that the people who are have not been there or who have struggled only a bit can dictate to everyone else how easy it is to fix their situation. Walk a week in their shoes before you pass that judgement. Whether their situation is better or worse, it's different and the road to recovery is different

Being poor doesn't mean you definitely become fat, but it certainly helps you down that road. When I can get an entire box of swiss cake rolls for a buck versus one (maybe one depending on size and price) uncooked chicken breast.. And yea.. it is easier.. but it's also more calories and more filling and i can give half to my son.

When, really, did this become so uncommon? When did basic life skills become the province of only trained chefs? Moreover, why do some many people believe what this poster describes is something only poor people need/should do?
    I believe this happened when women started working as much as men work. Women's lib is great and all, i certainly enjoy it since I am a women, but there is a very large downside to it all. My grandmother could make anything, clean anything, knew all the tricks.. I learned some from her before old age took her memories away, but not enough. There is just no time. While digging myself out of the hole I was in, I worked 2 and 3 jobs at once.. absolutely no time to cook broth, can things, cook period. I literally used to get my son at day care, bring him to grandma, change and go to another job. There are a lot of people in that sort of situation.
    The person who posted that initially was trying to say "hey look we did it, you should be able to as well".. but she was lucky enough to be married *potentially 2 incomes* to a chef *who in theory knows more then the average person does about food prep and cooking* and they clearly had the items they needed to do the cooking and the time they needed to do it. Exhaustion and stress factors play a huge role in your ability to cook, learn to cook or carve out the time to learn recipes and cook them. It's not being lazy. It's reality.