I want thinner, more toned thighs?

Options
I am perfectly happy with my upper body. I have a nice looking stomach, arms, shoulders, and I have a nice collarbone.

My only problem is my thighs. They arent fat by any means. But I would love for a more toned look, maybe a thigh gap.

Anyone have any good exercise routines for making them smaller and more toned?
Or diet solutions?

THANKS!

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight training will get them as compact as they can get. To some degree, the way your body is built will determine how slender your thighs can become. We can't spot reduce, unfortunately.
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    Heavy weight training?

I'm not an idiot, but what exactly is that? I usually just work out from home on the treadmill, and I do yoga in my basement.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    I also just noticed that you are recovering from Anorexia. This can often be a lifelong disease to battle. You probably have body dysmorphia, which is common with eating disorders, so I think it is a RED FLAG for you to be focused on making one body part more perfect.

Are you in therapy? I would highly recommend working with an eating disorder therapist who can help you move away from perfectionist thinking and more toward self acceptance. The way you look is far less important than the way you choose to think about yourself.

Take good care!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have only had 2 things that seemed to slim my thighs significantly. Brazil Butt Lift and the stationary bike. I am doing my second round of BBL and it still seems to be slimming things. Last year when I was doing a more weight based routine I would do the stationary bike while I was watching TV, just to get some cardio in, saw a visible slimming with that too.

I know spot reducing is not possible, however I also know my body responds differently to different workout routines. It may just be a matter of trying different things until you find one that gets you the results you are seeking.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight training?

I'm not an idiot, but what exactly is that? I usually just work out from home on the treadmill, and I do yoga in my basement.

Training, with weights, ie. barbell, dumb bells, etc. By heavy, she means with lots of weight. Deadlifting, squatting, hip thrusts, lunges with weights will give you great legs. If you want a "toned" and muscular body, that means lifting heavy and eating to build muscle.

Good place to start: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.htm

ETA: Oh and Strong Curves, duh. That's a great book.
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    It's been 6 years since I was full-blown anorexic. To give you a picture... my lowest weight was 115lbs and I am 5"9. That is considered underweight. Right now I am about 135lbs and I know I am at a healthy weight. I dont feel like i need to lose pounds. It's been a good 6 years since I was anorexic but I say I am still recovering simply because I am trying to normalize my eating and exercising habits.

I've been through all the the therapy, I have no desire to be a skeleton anymore. I am truly happy with life. I just want to have a normal eating and exercise routine.

I just want nice thighs! lol
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You are most likely a pear shape, and may never be happy with that shape. I am a pear as well, I have practically zero breasts, but my abs rock, but I am also cursed with bigger thighs. I just attribute it to a runners build. I am built to run! ;-) Heavy lifting may help, but I do not have a gym membership nor a set of weights, so I am stuck with the way I am. I don't want to develop unhealthy diet habits to create the slimmer thighs I desire. Besides, the rest of me would look sickly! So I am just going to have to be happy where I am.

Good luck!
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    Ah you're probably right, haha. I am very pear shaped.

I dont have huge thighs, I just wish they were smaller.

Maybe that's just a wish that may never be granted!
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    An easy exercise program is Jillian Micheal's 30 day slim. You're doing lunges and squats all throughout the video, AND cardio. So you're building muscle while burning fat. I did this workout every other day for 2 months and I've never seen my thighs so slim. I was thinking about doing it again I loved it so much!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have slim thighs and am trying to add more curve there, the grass is always greener... :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I also just noticed that you are recovering from Anorexia. This can often be a lifelong disease to battle. You probably have body dysmorphia, which is common with eating disorders, so I think it is a RED FLAG for you to be focused on making one body part more perfect.

Are you in therapy? I would highly recommend working with an eating disorder therapist who can help you move away from perfectionist thinking and more toward self acceptance. The way you look is far less important than the way you choose to think about yourself.

Take good care!

Hey!

That's not right going through someone's stuff and bringing it out like that. She didn't even mention this, how impolite of you.
    She's talking about something very close to my heart, thighs and their annoying habit of not slimming down. It is perfectly feasible to want to talk about how to improve them.

Very odd thing to do. Sorry OP, hope you get some feedback here.

For me, it is to do with being about 20% body fat then they slim down to 20" which I can live with. I'm 5'7" and currently 130lb after a cut bulk cut cycle. (Google n search) it's all here.

Good luck
  • seattle_hd
    seattle_hd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just read the thigh gap has more to do with your structure and how wide your hips are built anyway, so even if you slim down there is a good chance you still won't get that gap unless you are too skinny. It's an unrealistic picture of what the media says we need to be. Don't fall for it.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have seen amazing results in my legs since I started doing dumbbell exercises. I use 12 pounds weights and do 3 sets of 10 reps in these exercises:

Squats
    Lunges (can be static, pendulum, whatever you prefer)
    Side lunges
    Calf Raises
    Calf Raises on a step
    Dumbbell swing-through
    Stiff-legged dead lift

I find that dumbbells are less intimidating to me than barbell weight sets and are usually located a little out of everyone else's way at the gym, so I can get my workout done quicker without having to share space or equipment usually.

this is a pretty good website I reference to find dumbbell exercises for all parts of my body:
    http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/legs/index.html
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    I just want to say that you look beautiful and healthy and there are way worse things in the world than not having "thigh gap". Congratulations on trying to get healthy and normalize your eating.

I was slender my entire life up until about 5 years ago and to be honest, I NEVER appreciated the body I had, even at my very thinnest when my knee bones and elbows were sticking out. I was always thinking I could be thinner, smaller, etc. I now realize I had body dysmorphia for most of my life.

Just watch out for the perfectionist thinking! Try to appreciate what you have right now. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Take good care!

Hey!

That's not right going through someone's stuff and bringing it out like that. She didn't even mention this, how impolite of you.
    She's talking about something very close to my heart, thighs and their annoying habit of not slimming down. It is perfectly feasible to want to talk about how to improve them.

For me, it is to do with being about 20% body fat then they slim down to 20" which I can live with. I'm 5'7" and currently 130lb after a cut bulk cut cycle. (Google n search) it's all here.

Good luck

meeehhh I can see- but if it's on the internet- I also believe it's fair game and worth while to make a note- that sometimes things are the way they are and fussing about them won't help or maybe be coming from a negative place.

OP- get thee some education about strength training/heavy lifting and compound lifts.

Learn to squat and DL with a bar bell. LIFT all the things.
  • Teecy
    Teecy Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there!

Diet won't change your thighs, except to reduce some fat pockets. You can't pick where the body reduces, though! More importantly, work the thighs. Every day - squats, burpees, donkey kicks (that's on all 4s kicking behind or bending your knee and lifting up your thigh? Great for the glutes, too. the more defined your glutes are, the thinner your thighs should look. Also, look up "abductor and adductor" exercises for the inner thighs. Do you have a stretchy band you can use?

Good luck!

teecy
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options

Take good care!

Hey!

Good luck

meeehhh I can see- but if it's on the internet- I also believe it's fair game and worth while to make a note- that sometimes things are the way they are and fussing about them won't help or maybe be coming from a negative place.

OP- get thee some education about strength training/heavy lifting and compound lifts.

Learn to squat and DL with a bar bell. LIFT all the things.

Jesus. Lol thanks guys. Probably shouldnt have even mentioned I was a former anorexic if thats all we are gonna talk about haha.

I JUST WANT NICE THIGHS hahaha but thanks for the concern.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    An easy exercise program is Jillian Micheal's 30 day slim. You're doing lunges and squats all throughout the video, AND cardio. So you're building muscle while burning fat. I did this workout every other day for 2 months and I've never seen my thighs so slim. I was thinking about doing it again I loved it so much!

It's pretty much impossible to build muscle and burn fat at the same time. (Extreme outliers outstanding...of course)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly happy with my upper body. I have a nice looking stomach, arms, shoulders, and I have a nice collarbone.

My only problem is my thighs. They arent fat by any means. But I would love for a more toned look, maybe a thigh gap.

Anyone have any good exercise routines for making them smaller and more toned?
    Or diet solutions?

THANKS!
    No exercise will target them to make them smaller. If you want to condition the muscle underneath so the look a little "harder" squats, deadlifts, and leg curls are the top 3 IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennaandthemoon
    Options
    **** I hate workout videos. and weightlifting.

But this is all great feedback thank you.