Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    okay, i just heard its a good way to jump start it cleanses your body. so i thought id see opinions i wanna lose like 10 lbs a week before summer comes cause i dont wanna be as depressed as i was last summer ive looked at the water fast, the military diet, 2,4,6, diet, almost everything, i was very in interested in trying the eat your heart out.... what do you think
    ?
    There are no jump starts. To cleanse the outside of your body, soap and water; the inside, I'm assuming you've got a liver and kidneys, so you're good to go.

Losing 10lbs a week is not healthy (I don't care what happens on The Biggest Loser - it's not realistic, healthy or sustainable - it's entertainment tv), and highly unlikely to happen. All those fad diets are just that - FADS, and any weight lost is generally water weight, not fat, and comes right back when you go back to eating regular food - which everyone does because "diets" of any sort are temporary. Temporary fixes get you temporary results.

Instead of trying to achieve a set number of pounds lost by a certain date, why not just start now on figuring out how to eat healthy? All you need is a calorie deficit - eat fewer calories than what your body burns in a day - NOT eat fewer than what you burn in exercise, but what your body burns all day long in a 24 hour period - sleeping, walking, eating, brushing your teeth, working, etc.

My Fitness Pal is beautiful in that they offer this easy set up and tracking for free. :smile: Enter your information and weight loss goals accurately and realistically. Eat your cals - all of them. If you exercise (and you should), eat back at least a portion of those exercise calories. Don't panic, you will still be eating at a deficit as the original daily goal MFP gives you already has you at a deficit, and making that deficit bigger by not eating back exercise calories will come back to haunt you sooner than later. Food is fuel, so eat it! You daily NET cals should be at or very near goal every day. Drink water. Take rest days, at least one every week. Get good rest at night.

And have patience. You didn't put the weight on overnight (or in two months) and it's not going all go away overnight - but it will happen and you will see results that stick with you if you take the time to learn to do it right. Develop the healthy habits now, things you can do for the rest of your life so you're not back in the same boat a year from now wishing you had a new quick fix or that you had started the right way a long time ago.

Good luck.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    10 pounds a day is extreme and unhealthy. You will be depriving your vital organs of the nutrients and vitamins they need.

Like others mentioned, eat at a deficit and move more. But do NOT go on a water cleanse.

I can tell you that adding strength training to your workouts 2-3 times a week will pay off huge. If you aren't currently very active, start doing a mix of cardio and strength training. You won't lose 70 pounds before summer but you will be looking phenomenal....eat a 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 lb a week and 1000 per day to lose 2 lbs for week. You need to do something you can maintain.... and food is vital
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Why would you willingly go 5 days without food?

This will be taken as snarky, but I have to say it. Unless you'r missing your kidneys and liver, you don't need to detox because that is what those organs DO.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    okay, i just heard its a good way to jump start it cleanses your body. so i thought id see opinions i wanna lose like 10 lbs a week before summer comes cause i dont wanna be as depressed as i was last summer ive looked at the water fast, the military diet, 2,4,6, diet, almost everything, i was very in interested in trying the eat your heart out.... what do you think
    ?

10lbs a week? That is a ridiculous goal. Aim for 1-2lbs per week and make some lasting changes like others have mentioned.

It took you years to gain the weight, you can't just lose it all overnight.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Unless you are confined to a hospital bed and have your vitals constently monitored it is beyond stupid. Even if you do have a medical team behind you, it is extremely dangerous!
  • flame_retardant
    flame_retardant Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well, your body has enough fat on it that you can go up to a month without eating and still live. If you can find a month where all you have to do is lay in bed and do nothing, then it's ok. I wouldn't do this though - you'll be so sad all the time. Just take health as a long-haul goal and work towards it slowly.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No quick fix. I've lost 25 in 2 months. Sensibly. Set a modest goal for calorie consumption. Log your food. Do some type of exercise daily or nearly everyday. You will drop weight. 10 lbs before summer is easily achievable. Good luck.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You will be miserable and hungry and it wont do anything more than lose and gain the same few pounds....but usually people just do it anyway.

Le sigh......just make sure you won't bump your head if you feel like fainting

^this

And the pounds lost and gained won't be fat (which is why they come back so quickly/easily) but is mostly glycogen stores/waste.

You could experience much of the the same sudden "weight" loss effect by going no/low carb (which isn't necessarily healthy and the effects of which are just as short-lived, but is less drastic/potentially dangerous/debilitating than not eating anything at all).

ETA: Oh, and if anyone mentions the word "cleanse" or "detox", I want to know what you are cleansing or detoxifying from your body by doing this that wouldn't otherwise be cleansed or detoxified while still eating food.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    1. 5 days with nothing but water is not healthy, so unless you are trying to reach a new level of spiritual enlightenment, move on to something else.

2. 10lbs per week is not a reasonable goal. Plan for 10 lbs to take a couple of months. You didn't put on the weight at a rate of 10lbs/week, don't expect to lose it that fast.

3. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants SideSteel knows his stuff. It's long, but very clearly explained.

4. Do what you read in the sexypants thread.

5. Enjoy your lasting results.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1. 5 days with nothing but water is not healthy, so unless you are trying to reach a new level of spiritual enlightenment, move on to something else.

2. 10lbs per week is not a reasonable goal. Plan for 10 lbs to take a couple of months. You didn't put on the weight at a rate of 10lbs/week, don't expect to lose it that fast.

3. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants SideSteel knows his stuff. It's long, but very clearly explained.

+1

10 lbs a week is completely unrealistic. You shouldn't be aiming for more than 2 lbs/week.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

+1

10 lbs a week is completely unrealistic. You shouldn't be aiming for more than 2 lbs/week.

+2

and

86794-pug-yes-wait-no-gif-YEAH-NOPE-KR2y.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ?

Why are you looking for quick fixes? There is no quick fix. And the 10lbs a week isn't a really healthy approach (unless you are 300lbs+) and you are also looking at losing a lot of muscle mass by trying to do this. Even if you were successful at reaching your goal weight fast, I bet that you end up with a higher than average body fat % compared to those of the same height and weight who may not have had to lose weight, and especially compared to those who took it slower. So aside from flab, there's a high chance you'd also be looking at the loose skin issues.

And your chances of regaining a lot, if not more, of what you lost back are high as you didn't take time to fix/retrain your eating habits and thinking.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    If you decide to actually try this... Please come back and post how you did, how you felt, and how long you were able to stay on it...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you decide to actually try this... Please come back and post how you did, how you felt, and how long you were able to stay on it...

I'd honestly rather she didn't. There are people suffering and trying to recover from certain eating disorders in which posts like this (including follow ups) may be triggering.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ...are you trying to kill yourself?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Still a no.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'd honestly rather she didn't. There are people suffering and trying to recover from certain eating disorders in which posts like this (including follow ups) may be triggering.

I'm torn on this one. I mean, I hear what you're saying, but something that is sorely missing from the forums are follow-ups w/ the consequences of things like this. Instead, we end up with people supporting them based on their "successful" experience with it the multiple times they did it...and that they're going to do it again in the future because they gained back the weight recently (for some unknown-to-them reason).

*sigh*