what's 1200 cal?

Options
When I hear people say they're restricting their caloric intake to 1200, does that mean net or actual food????

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Some don't understand how MFP works and that 1200 is already a deficit for pretty much anyone, and by not eating the cals back they are doing themselves more harm than good in the long run by leaving themselves with such a HUGE deficit.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Silly either way!
  • michelelee127
    michelelee127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Silly how? Eat all my calories? Even earned ones?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Options
    Eating 1200 is not good period! Have you figured out your TDEE or did you just put in 2 lbs a week you want to lose and MFP set you to 1200?!! If anything at all you are to never eat less than 1200 calories net! That means you eat your exercise calories back!
  • michelelee127
    michelelee127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What's TDEE??? Yikes, I need more help than I thought!
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Eating 1200 is not good period! Have you figured out your TDEE or did you just put in 2 lbs a week you want to lose and MFP set you to 1200?!! If anything at all you are to never eat less than 1200 calories net! That means you eat your exercise calories back!

I just found out my TDEE is 1779. Eating at a 500 calorie deficit is just barely above 1200 for me (1279). So? Why all the exclamation points for someone that's just asking a question about something they have seen or heard other people do?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Options

I just found out my TDEE is 1779. Eating at a 500 calorie deficit is just barely above 1200 for me (1279). So? Why all the exclamation points for someone that's just asking a question about something they have seen or heard other people do?

Well because I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a problem?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill stick with my 119lbs and you worry about your 14lbs! OK? ok!
  • susie3g
    Options

Well because I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a problem?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.. if you're trying to get a point across, yes, there's a problem. Tell me, do you find it easier to comprehend something when someone is being nice and explaining things to you or when they are being rude, condescending screamers? You kind of avoided my first few sentences. Smart move on your part since it doesn't give merit to your hissy fit. Here's a lesson for you: You will always, always, always attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

Edited to add: I lost this 14 pounds in the last 30 days ma'am. How much have you lost in the past month? Not comparing my journey to yours, but that seems to be the idea you were getting at. So I thought I'd throw that in there.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Options
    What's TDEE??? Yikes, I need more help than I thought!

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Go here put in your info and then subtract 15-20% from your TDEE! Eating more than 1200 calories and exercise calories will help keep you from wanting to give up! Good luck you can do it!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I stay around 1200. I just have a small appetite. 4'11" 98 lbs. I eat back my exercise calories if I am hungry, but I don't force myself. I find that my appetite varies a little, which is fine with me. I figure if I'm hungrier, then my body is responding to the increased activity and needs fuel.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's crazy talk whether it's net, gross, total.. crazy talk.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Options

Well.. if you're trying to get a point across, yes, there's a problem. Tell me, do you find it easier to comprehend something when someone is being nice and explaining things to you or when they are being rude, condescending screamers? You kind of avoided my first few sentences. Smart move on your part since it doesn't give merit to your hissy fit.

You dont know me and if you did you would know no matter what I talk about I always use exclamation points! Go ahead go serach my other post guarantee you wont find a post without one! Oh and you need to be taking your TDEE and subtract 15-20% which would actually set you up to eating 1424 thats at 20%!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, it's net. It's "supposed" to be net.

MFP is based on the NEAT system. This means that their calculations put you at a deficit and you eat our exercise calories back to net that deficit.

TDEE is a different system and many do TDEE (maintenance) -20% to figure their deficit. With this system, you DON'T eat your exercise calories because an average of such is included.

Both methods, though, require you pick the correct activity level, especially TDEE. And whichever method you choose, give it 6-8 weeks before tweaking/changing if any changes are needed. Always give your body time to adjust when you make changes to calorie intake or exercise routine.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Ill stick with my 119lbs and you worry about your 14lbs! OK? ok!

Not very nice.
  • susie3g
    Options

Well.. if you're trying to get a point across, yes, there's a problem. Tell me, do you find it easier to comprehend something when someone is being nice and explaining things to you or when they are being rude, condescending screamers? You kind of avoided my first few sentences. Smart move on your part since it doesn't give merit to your hissy fit.

You dont know me and if you did you would know no matter what I talk about I always use exclamation points! Go ahead go serach my other post guarantee you wont find a post without one! Oh and you need to be taking your TDEE and subtract 15-20% which would actually set you up to eating 1424 thats at 20%!

To lose just 1 pound a week, it needs to be 3500 calorie deficit for the week. That's 500 calorie deficit a day. So if my goal is to lose 1 pound a week, then it needs to be at least 500 below TDEE. Am I not right about that? You're right. I don't know you. I apologize for pointing out the use of your exclamation marks, but your actual words being used also sounded like you were being condescending towards the OP. Also, if I lost 119 pounds, I would be in the hospital. So please.. don't ever compare yourself to others like that.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Options

To lose just 1 pound a week, it needs to be 3500 calorie deficit for the week. That's 500 calorie deficit a day. So if my goal is to lose 1 pound a week, then it needs to be at least 500 below TDEE. Am I not right about that? You're right. I don't know you. I apologize for pointing out the use of your exclamation marks, but your actual words being used also sounded like you were being condescending towards the OP. Also, if I lost 119 pounds, I would be in the hospital. So please.. don't ever compare yourself to others like that.
    "

Sure but if you dont have that much to lose then no you dont need to take it minus 500 you need it to be 250 calories down! Anything close to 1200 calorie intake is not good no matter how you look at it!
  • It's crazy talk whether it's net, gross, total.. crazy talk.

This...

Remember what Thumper said? lol:bigsmile:
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I set my goal to 1250.

I'm sure there are a hundred varying opinions on how many calories I should eat, so my plan is to just do what works. This so far is working very very well for me. If it stops working, I will re-evaluate.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    totally agreed!
    im 5'7" and i stck to 1200 as well. I feel heatlhy and I'm losing at a healthy pace.
    Do whatver you are comfortable with. if your hungry, EAT, just be sensible.
    Keep it simple and dont stress over this guys, you got this!
    You'll figure out what your body wants over time and what is managable for a lifestyle (:
    Cheers to all the friendly people in here!! :))
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Not only are you rude and bossy, you also can't do math.